What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

19 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I have a pot of red beans simmering on the stove.

OOh I can so taste them now!  Yum yum.  We just got invited to lunch with some old friends and then tonight at 630 we have a birthday dinner for our youngest daughter who just turned 21!  If I were closer I would dash on over for a bowl of beans tho.

It was a glorious Spring weather weekend her in SE Pennsylvania!  :clap: 

This past weekend was kinda crazy- - two birthdays, two anniversaries, and in the midst of it all we were dealing with my dad being in the hospice facility and getting him ready to move to the skilled nursing section of the retirement home!   Friday evening we had a nice dinner with friends; Saturday morning I drove up to see dad (the facility was about 45 mins away), then DH and I drove out to Philly to visit DD#2 and her hubby to celebrate her 30th b-day and their 4th anniversary.  Sunday morning I drove mom up to see dad while DH was doing music at church, then had a meeting afterwards.....FINALLY Sunday afternoon we got to relax and celebrate our 34th Anniversary with a dinner of BBQ spare ribs! :eatyum:  

Today dad got moved to the retirement home that is near me- so it will be very easy to keep an eye on him.  :)  I hate that he has to be there, but mom just can't take care of him anymore at home, and they live too far away for it to be feasible for me to help.  And thus begins a new chapter for him.....and us.

Gorgeous day as we are blessed with here on the Gulf Coast.  The blueberry bushes are loaded and the jalapeno pepper plant we moved outside is covered in blossoms and one baby pepper already!  I got in two sessions in the workshop.

• Like 1

Sitting here at 4 am reading the forum with a large magnifying glass. Had cataract surgery on 2nd eye yesterday, so that eye blurred with plastic guard taped in place and the other eye sees well at a distance but not up close. Slept long and hard after surgery, so am now slept out. Will see doc in a few hours. He says after 40-some years in trifocals, I'll likely be relatively glasses free -- need them only for close work and reading and can probably get along with drug store gasses, not prescription  We'll see.

On the refrigerator front, store notified me via text message last Friday that delivery would be today (4/20), not 4/26 as per previous notice. When I turned my phone back on after surgery yesterday, there was a text saying delivery would be 5/3 and a phone message to call the delivery center manager. Come to find out the fridge delivered to them has a  faulty gasket, so they have ordered another one. And they are issuing a $250 gift card for our trouble. Meanwhile we are using a loaner that makes me cringe every time I walk into the kitchen because it is ugly and bulky and opens in the wrong direction, making it very inconvenient to use. Delivery May 3? I'm not holding my breath.

Guess I'll go watch some early morning tv. My "fixed" eye can see that perfectly clearly without glasses. 

The opthamologist I went to back in January decided I'm "not ready" to have my cataracts removed and that I needed new glasses and was going to write a letter to refer me to an optometrist.  After waiting nearly three months to hear from the optometrist DH & I went by his office and discovered they never got a referral for me, but made us appointments for this AM.

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The opthamologist I went to back in January decided I'm "not ready" to have my cataracts removed and that I needed new glasses and was going to write a letter to refer me to an optometrist.  After waiting nearly three months to hear from the optometrist DH & I went by his office and discovered they never got a referral for me, but made us appointments for this AM.

As I understand it now the cataract does not have to be "ripe" before it can be removed.  Some doctors are now basing it on how much it affects your vision.  My cataracts are fairly young but because of my macular degeneration - I need to ask the doc.  So far it hasnt affected my vision - but other things  have.  Im off to see the eye doc tomorrow to see if my eyes are still stable.

2 hours ago, jbresr said:

As I understand it now the cataract does not have to be "ripe" before it can be removed.  Some doctors are now basing it on how much it affects your vision.  My cataracts are fairly young but because of my macular degeneration - I need to ask the doc.  So far it hasnt affected my vision - but other things  have.  Im off to see the eye doc tomorrow to see if my eyes are still stable.

I, too, understand that "ripe" cataracts are no longer a prerequisite for surgery; that's old school thinking. It's your quality of life that's more important. If a new glasses prescription doesn't clear up the blurry vision, go find another ophthalmologist, Holly.

Meanwhile, happy to report that surgery #2 went as well as #1. I'm now typing this without a need for a magnifying glass. :D I am glasses free except for +1 drugstore readers for up close work. Even reading is easy without glasses as long as I remember to hold the page just a little farther away than I'm used to. Doing a happy dance here. :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

I, too, understand that "ripe" cataracts are no longer a prerequisite for surgery; that's old school thinking. It's your quality of life that's more important. If a new glasses prescription doesn't clear up the blurry vision, go find another ophthalmologist, Holly.

Meanwhile, happy to report that surgery #2 went as well as #1. I'm now typing this without a need for a magnifying glass. :D I am glasses free except for +1 drugstore readers for up close work. Even reading is easy without glasses as long as I remember to hold the page just a little farther away than I'm used to. Doing a happy dance here. :) 

Doing the happy dance right along with you.  That is great.  I wear glasses but I take them off to read!  

The opthamologist I went to is considered the "top man" in the area; the less said about that the better...  The new prescription made awesome differences!  I'm going from bifocals to trifocals with a correction for the double vision that has occurred over the years and a glare-reduction treatment on the lenses.  The optometrist did confirm that my cataracts are very small, so apparently my basic problems were with the old prescription.  Anyway, I'm not very patiently waiting for the new specs to get made!

Oh, Holly ... think how long you've been suffering because the area's finest couldn't be bothered to make an appointment for you. So glad you got to someone who can help you.

Been fairly tired this past weekend, as I had blood drawn for lab tests last week. Going to the Dr tomorrow. Cleared some clutter, and finished foiling the current glass commission. When it cools down in a few days it'll be full steam ahead on the soldering front. Planning to cook some spinach lasagna this weekend.

Apparently the opthamologist did write a referral letter, the optometrist found it on his computer.  I think I embarrassed him by mentioning we had waited nearly three months to hear from his office and finally took matters into our own hands, because the visit for both of us was very productive and enjoyable.  I will definitely let the opthamologist blast the cataracts when it's time, but we were much happier with the optometrist for the routine stuff.

I have been absent without leave...lol   First we had a 4 day snow extravaganza then I spent a week working on an old wooden box that I wanted to paint and stencil.  I finished that today along with a few other "house" projects ( my real house that is).  Beautiful warm weather is back and I am anxious to work on my plants and container gardens.
Anyway,  good luck with that Holly.     I have been waiting 4 months for my out patient surgery....still in tremendous pain.    Have a good weekend all.

• Like 1

Roxy, I'm so sorry to hear you are still waiting. Hope it is over soon. Congrats to all of you that can see now! I would love to ditch my glasses, but I would have to save for a long time to be able to afford LASIK surgery. I used to wear contacts but haven't been able to for a few years now.

I'm hoping to finish up my RL house project today.  My DH did an amazing job on the crown molding in the kitchen. I've got all the caulking and the first coats of paint done.  Just some touch-up painting left and we are done :cloud9:

I don't mind wearing glasses at all, it's just not being able to focus a sharp, clear image even with them on, and the brownish blotchy fuzzies that are apparently the cataracts that are annoying.

I made cookies after we got home from the grocery store.  We've been asked to the wrap-up get-together for the Jazz Fest (since we're the movers) so I'll be making one of my pones of jalapeno cornbread for that tomorrow.

To keep from going stir crazy DH took us for a Sunday afternoon drive to the Nature Conservancy's Splinter Creek pitcher plant bog near Perdido, AL.  I confess an inordinate fondness for pitcher plants, and these were plentiful and gorgeous!

8 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

I wish laser eye surgery could work for me. Alas, my eyes are WAY too nearsighted for them to fix. They might be able to improve my vision, but I'd still have to wear glasses; and I've been wearing them for 23 years so far.

Disclaimer: I am not an eye doctor and am still high on my new-found ability to see well without the glasses I've worn for 40+ years, so I'm definitely prejudiced in favor of monovision lens implants. That said, I think it's worth sharing my experience with Cynthia and others with eye problems. Our eyes are critically important in miniature work!

My ophthalmologist used to do lasik eye surgery until he became dissatisfied with the number of cases in which the surgery in the end did not solve the patient's problem permanently. My brother's eyes, for example, eventually went back their former state. This was after he had claimed perfect vision and urged our sister and me to have it done and be glasses free. We are both glad we did not take his advice. I, for one, did not mind wearing glasses. It is the vision that matters to us, not a quest for perfection or freedom from glasses. 

My ophthalmologist now does only lens implant surgery for cataracts. He determined which of my eyes is dominant and put in a lens that made clear distance vision possible. I now can read the subtitles on TV movies and drive at night without seeing halos around lights. On the other eye he inserted a lens that makes middle distance vision clear. I now can use the computer, read labels on the shelves in the grocery store, and read even the wispy print of The New Yorker magazine without a problem if I remember to hold the printed page just a little farther away than I was used to, all without glasses. 

I had a choice. He could have put distance lenses in both eyes, so I'd have had to wear bifocals for middle and distance vision. I'm accustomed to wearing gasses and don't mind them, so this sounded reasonable to me. However, he explained that with a different focal length lens in each eye (called monovision, as opposed to same focal length monofocal vision), the brain learns to use the lens that works for whatever it's looking at. He said that about 85% of patients who opt for the monovision no longer have to wear glasses. It sounded a bit on the too-good-to-be-true side, but he convinced me when he said he was speaking from personal experience, that he himself has monovision.  So I opted to go with monovision, and I'm glad I did.

I'm finding that his prediction is true. For instance, as I'm typing here, I am enjoying a cup of coffee. When I lift the cup to drink and the cup briefly blocks the middle distance eye, the lettering on the screen becomes quite blurred; it becomes crisp again as soon as the obstructing cup is moved away. The distance eye isn't even trying to focus on the middle distance, yet when I raise my head and glance across the room, the distance eye takes over seamlessly. What a team! 

One caveat. I was warned that I would have to wear glasses for very near, detailed work. I got a pair of +1 drug store readers that work well when I am doing needlepoint. I haven't yet tried our headset magnifiers, which I used without my glasses on the last needlepoint project. I may follow Holly's example and at some point get a jeweler's loupe for very close miniature work, as I find the headset a bit clumsy to use. 

All this to say, Cynthia, is don't put your eyes in the lasik basket alone. Here is one article on the pros and cons of monovision vs. monofocal implants. There are a lot of others if you Google the terms. Ask your ophthalmologist about lens implants vs. lasik surgery. Your nearsightedness could be a thing of the past. 

• Like 1

While passning through the mall on My way to the currency exchange bureau (för the upcoming fair in Denmark) I made a bargain find of a light sea green light summer jacket/coat. Yay!!! Have meant to replace the old one for a while. 

Happy dance with a twirl!

Hugs

The new glasses were, indeed, ready this AM and made so much difference that when I switched back to the old ones to rest my eyes just before we went to lunch I could not read the menu!  I finally covered one eye to see what was on the menu, and as soon as we got back in the car I put the new ones back on.  By now my eyes are hollering "uncle!" and I'm about to take them off and rest, but just wanted to let y'all know I can see again!

• Like 3

We figure it's going to take me a couple of days for my eyes to finish adjusting, but I wasn't prepared to not be able to see out of the old lenses so quickly.  The corrections were not only for acuity and focus, but one eye had shifted so that I was seeing double without being really aware of it, and there I a bit of minor discomfort as the new scrip forces that eye into the same plane as the other one.  The only problem so far is going down stairs.  Before lunch we went looking for new hiking boots for DH ("they" don't make hiking boots in wide sizes) and after lunch we checked out the location of a kayak dealer we had met at the Mobile boat show we attended a few months ago and I finally found neoprene water boots in my size!