What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I just got the truck back ( I have a chevy s-10 that's seen better days but it's still working ) I had a crack in my radiator and I need an alignment along with new tires..we just got the shocks replaced on it.  we also have a classic chevy truck that needs a new battery Im going to get that next month.  all these car issues have hit me at once so my mini habit has been put on hold (lucky for me I got a dollhouse from a special friend who I will thank here and now! cause I don't have time to work on it right now)

I also started a new job and I will be on my regular shift so I can get back on schedule with my hobbies (you should see my craft room it's a mess..and no I wont show it to you)

that's about it for today

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2016‎ ‎1‎:‎42‎:‎27‎, chapchap73 said:

Roxy, I'm so sorry to hear you are still waiting. Hope it is over soon

Thank you Sarah.    I go on Thursday hopefully.  The bad thing is all the stress from the long duration with so much pain managed to kick in my IC so I have that to deal with on top of the SI Joint pain.   Its sure a long ride to the hospital I hope I can stand the trip.   Its a real problem living so far from everything especially when there is very little medical care.   I have a 77 year old GP for a doctor here who can't do much for me.  Anyway, hanging in here trying not to whine too much.   I am crocheting just to keep my mind off things. 

We left Sun City Center this AM and arrived in beautiful Cedar Key after lunch.  Our cottage is tiny and immaculately clean and perfect for the two of us for the three days we'll be here.  They farm  clams and oysters here, and we had bowls of the local clams fra diablo with linguine for supper (yum, burp).

• Like 2

Off to Vero Beach, again. The insurance company wants the exterior fire extinguishers updated. We own one of the 4 units. The other 3 are owned by the builder who rents them out. Unfortunately, she lives in Washington, DC and anytime there are maintenance issues, I get the call to deal with them.  Never get a vacation property further than 100 miles away from your main home. So we are also bringing yard tools to do some spring cleaning in the gardens. I'm trying to get my dollhouse shower tile work done so I'm packing my supplies up and taking that project with me.

One time on the drive from NOLA to Marshall I got a  notion for a murder mystery set in a fictional Missouri college town and outlined it, started a list of characters, etc. Back in Marshall, no time to write as the garden pulled me outside for the summer, then came the move and -- well, life intervened. Several days ago I came across my handwritten notes and something clicked. I've been waking up at 4 and 5 am and hitting the keyboard. Have three chapters (about 8,000 words, 40+ pages) in the bank and am about to begin chapter four. It's really flowing, and I'm enjoying the ride. When I get further along, I'd love to have early readers provide feedback. PM me if you might be interested.

Yesterday was interesting. Lloyd swung by the post office to mail a letter and happened to run into Joe-the-postal-carrier who found our $300 cash deposit that accidentally went into a mailbox on April 18. He remembered finding it and had turned it over to his supervisor. Short version: L went to the main post office and got it back. His faith in postal workers proved true.

Also found out that our mail lady is the daughter of Frogman Henry, the blues musician. She is a sweetie who always has a smile and knows many of her customers in this rabbit warren condo/apartment complex big enough to be called a small village. Not only small village, it's definitely a small world. :) 

Clarence "Frogman" Henry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Clarence "Frogman" Henry (born March 19, 1937, Algiers, New Orleans, Louisiana, United States) is an American rhythm and blues singer and pianist and trombonist.[1]

Preview by Yahoo

Last night during The Big Bang, there was a big bang outside -- a really big bang -- and the tv went black. Met several neighbors as we stood outside wondering what the heck had happened. We have AT&T for internet and the electricity wasn't affected, so I went on line to the cable service's live chat and reported the outage. When the assistant said she'd notify a technician, I asked how long it would take for him to get here. I invented an elderly resident who relies on the cable for land line, tv and internet and has no cell phone and expressed concern that if she should have a medical emergency in the night she would be unable to summon help. Don't know if the ploy worked or if the cable guy is part of a crackerjack tech team, but the issue was fixed within the hour.  

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎33‎:‎55‎, havanaholly said:

We left Sun City Center this AM and arrived in beautiful Cedar Key after lunch.  Our cottage is tiny and immaculately clean and perfect for the two of us for the three days we'll be here.  They farm  clams and oysters here, and we had bowls of the local clams fra diablo with linguine for supper (yum, burp).

Love Cedar Key.  just can't afford to live there.

I FINALLY had my surgery yesterday after waiting for 8 excruciating months!!!!   I have to stay very quiet for the next 3-5 days ( yeah right!) so I will be catching up on my minis, maybe crocheting or sewing a little.   Still have pain but hopefully after the initial stuff wears off from the actual procedure I have hope that my hip won't hurt so badly. 
It looks like its going to be a beautiful weekend so I will take my sitting around outside in the courtyard hopefully.   I cleaned it all up earlier in the week!   YAY!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxxie2 said:

I FINALLY had my surgery yesterday after waiting for 8 excruciating months!!!!   I have to stay very quiet for the next 3-5 days ( yeah right!) so I will be catching up on my minis, maybe crocheting or sewing a little.   Still have pain but hopefully after the initial stuff wears off from the actual procedure I have hope that my hip won't hurt so badly. 
It looks like its going to be a beautiful weekend so I will take my sitting around outside in the courtyard hopefully.   I cleaned it all up earlier in the week!   YAY!!!!

Roxy, so glad for you! Hope healing proceeds quickly. Wishing you pain free tomorrows. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

My 32 year old son has a degenerative hip condition and will eventually need a hip replacement so I can understand the daily struggles associated with a hip condition. So glad you had it dealt with and wishing you a quick and pain free recovery.

• Like 1

Thank you so much ladies.   Mine is not the actual hip joint but the the SI joint which is the one right next to the spine.  No operations for that one except if this doesn't work they go in and use some kind of radio waves and kill the nerves around the joint.  I hope I don't have to do that because killing nerves that close to my spinal is just plain risky and scary! 

Cedar Key was wonderful, as usual, but, Lawanda, you're not the only one who can't afford to live there; in addition to nearly half the houses sporting "for sale" signs in their yards, the Pirate's Cove is up for sale if the couple can find a buyer and the Blue Desert Café across the street is also for sale because the chef/ owner wants to retire.

I haven't had as much time as I like for anything other than RL housework lately. I would really be in a bad way with out this forum to come to....it's wonderful to see at least someone has time for their hobbies. I've spent the last week re-arranging furniture and purging my attic. I have a large collection of Dept 56 Dickens Village from way back before I built my first dollhouse. They are all in their original boxes, stored in various drawers and the attic. I should find some way to sell them, but craiglist makes me uneasy(too many bad stories in my area) and ebay seems like a ton of work. I may research some local papers, just so I can get some storage room back. It makes me a little sad because I do love to have them displayed, but in a house with 6 large people in it space is always at a premium. Ah well, live and learn so to speak.  DS2 turned 16 this week as well, so I had the birthday thing to deal with. We got him a bigger bed (full size instead of twin) and a new desk for his new-to-him computer. He was very stressed about his room being all messed up(he is autistic so change is hard) but now that it is done he's very happy. Today, I'm helping my mother go through my dad's collection of hunting gear. He has enough camo to outfit a small army, and of course all of it has to be kept. We'll see if I have better luck getting him to part with some stuff, like the ones that are too small :D

DH finally got an excuse to buy a new phone system. We have a largish house so he wanted a system with 4 handsets and a video doorbell. Why we needed a video doorbell I don't know. It's not like there are people trooping to our house and ringing the doorbell everyday. Yearly, except for Holloween, we usually get 1 person with an environmental petitition and maybe 2 or 3 kids collecting empty soda bottles for a fund raiser. He managed to get the phones set up by himself (DS & I having fled the house for a morning walk at a nearby nature preserve) but when we got home I got corralled to help with setting up the video doorbell. After 20 minutes I decided I didn't want to play anymore, so DS got taken off mulching duty to assist instead. No matter where DH stuck the doorbell, you couldn't see a face on the 1" telephone video screen. He kept shifting the position of the doorbell and the camera adjuster back and forth, up and down, forth and back, still no good. Our front door has sidelights, which was the problem. After a couple of hours I said "the only way that thing will work right is if you screw it to the storm door". DS replied, "yeah, I was thinking about that". So, we now have the video doorbell/camera screwed to the storm door. We also have 2 little screw holes in the wood next to the door. DH told me there was no reason to be upset because he had been wanting to buy a new front door anyway.

Actually, this will be the third time we'll be buying a front door for this house. Our door frames keep rotting, but we were lucky. Our next door neighbors never use their front door at all and didn't notice that the frame had started rotting untill they saw that the floorboards in the living room by their door had begun to rot.

• Like 1

Sarah, I can commiserate with you as I live with someone who can't part with a piece of paper. He has at least 3 dozen 3-ring binders full of out of date information filling his closet shelves and is angling to get another bookcase for the studio for the overflow.

Grazhina, I had to laugh at the doorbell adventure. Sometimes DIY projects can be a real pain in the patootie. :D I'd never experienced door frames rotting until living in our Missouri house. We had to have both the front and basement doors and frames replaced because of it.

I have been squirreled away with this computer working on my novel. It has taken over my life at the moment. I wake up at 4 am-ish, read the previous day's chapter to remind myself of the flow, make a few changes, then plunge ahead. I work for a few hours, go back to bed, wake up and go at it again. Am up to chapter 12, which I estimate is about 1/3 to 1/2 way. I've killed off my two victims and planted a goodly amount of red herrings. I reread the whole thing from the beginning the other night and realized it really is a first draft, too rough to send out for criticism. Patience, the few of you who have asked to read it. I'm getting there.

• Like 1

Kathie, my husband saves entire magazines because he liked one article in each. One Christmas I bought him some binders so he could cut out the articles he liked and save them in the binders. No such luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Kathie, my husband saves entire magazines because he liked one article in each. One Christmas I bought him some binders so he could cut out the articles he liked and save them in the binders. No such luck. 

I hear you. We started a subscription to The New Yorker now that we're in one place year around. The stack of old copies was piling up by his drafting table. He mumbled something about taking them to the doctor's office but I didn't see any hope of that actually happening. One day, when we were at cousin Gloria's, I asked if she'd like to have our old copies. Without any previous discussion with him. He didn't argue and didn't complain, and now the magazines move along when we've both had a chance to read them and the stack is just 3 or 4 issues high.

My mother was the same way with recipes from the newspaper that she saved by stashing the entire home living section. When she died, we had stacks of yellowing newspaper to take to recycle. Of course she rarely (if ever) used the recipes.

Well, haven't posted in this forum before, but looks interesting.  

Haven't had time for my dollhouse the last week or so.  We have a team that walks in the Susan G Komen 3 Day walk in Philadelphia since 2007.  So last Sunday was our big fundraiser, Coach Bingo.  So my work room was filled with baskets for raffles, and bingo equipment.  The day before we hosted our youngest grandchilds' 1st birthday.  We care for that little 1 yr old during the week, along with her 4 year old cousin, so the week is full.

I am also helping my parents get into an assisted living facility.  Lots of paperwork, getting things notarized, taking them on a tour of the facility tomorrow.  

Been helping the oldest granddaughter (almost 14) get her dress ready for her 8th grade graduation dance, which is this Friday.

Soooooo, hoping to get back to my grandson's castle this weekend.

I am still fighting with a sinus infection - and I think it was winning this weekend. It's now gone down to my chest and I developed a nasty, annoying cough.  So much for sleeping.  :/  I called the doc's office on Friday, but wasn't able to get in....so maybe today I will try again. ugh.

Despite my feeling terrible, I did get some dollhouserie in...posted some pics.

Jackie, I don't know if it'll help you or not, but I've found that taking echinacea works great for me for sinus infections. I used to get them often, and would ride them out only going to the doctor if I got an accompanying ear ache. One year I got a terrific sinus infection, horrible constant headaches, pressure in my ears, so I called to make a doctors appointment, but they couldn't see me for another week. I decided to see if the echinacea would work on a sinus infection this bad and before the week was up the infection had cleared completely. I canceled my doctors appointment. I had to see an ear nose and throat doctor about something several years later and asked him about echinacea. He said that although they were taught that it didn't really do anything, his mother swore by it. As far as he was concerned, maybe it helped, maybe it didn't, but if it helped me, I should take it.

• Like 1

We have been having a nice stretch of warm weather but way too much wind.   We planted some germaniums in pots and the poor things are getting blow to bits. 

This afternoon we went to a nice nursery and looked around at all the flowers.  When we got home,  I opened the car door and looked at the hinge side and there was a huge snake coiled up in there!!!!!!!!!!!!:ohmy: We didn't know if it was a bull snake or a rattler because they both look a lot alike.   We have no idea how long it was in there or when it got into the car but I was probably riding around all over town today with him!!!!!   I HATE snakes!!!!!!!   Anyway, Ray poked it out with a broom handle and luckily it was a bull snake.   My heart is still pounding!!!   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

We have been having a nice stretch of warm weather but way too much wind.   We planted some germaniums in pots and the poor things are getting blow to bits. 

This afternoon we went to a nice nursery and looked around at all the flowers.  When we got home,  I opened the car door and looked at the hinge side and there was a huge snake coiled up in there!!!!!!!!!!!!:ohmy: We didn't know if it was a bull snake or a rattler because they both look a lot alike.   We have no idea how long it was in there or when it got into the car but I was probably riding around all over town today with him!!!!!   I HATE snakes!!!!!!!   Anyway, Ray poked it out with a broom handle and luckily it was a bull snake.   My heart is still pounding!!!   

wow that was scary!! I hate snakes too omg that would have given me a heart attack! 

• Like 1

Bull snakes don't have rattles.  Also, nonvenomous snakes' heads don't flatten & flare out at the sides (to accommodate the venom sacs, I suppose).  I absolutely love nonvenomous snakes, they eat rodents and other snakes.  While I respect venomous snakes and would freak out if I found I'd been driving one around all day, I don't hate them; they're just animals that have their place in the world (just not in my house or car, thank you).

• Like 1

True Holly but the thought that the snake was in the car that close to me possibly all afternoon just freaks me out!   I know, I have seen both kinds of snakes but this one was curled up and all we could see was part of the body.   We couldn't tell if it was a rattler or a bull snake.  I let Ray figure it out.....I went into the house just in case!   LOL

• Like 1