What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

26 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

After DH & I laughed about that book he ordered a copy.  Bless his heart!

I toyed with ordering it myself. It seems to be more comprehensive than my notebook. I may yet do so.

Edited to add: Wow! I just went on line to order, and they're sold out! Lots of people must think it's a good idea. The notice said more are on order. They'll send me an email when it ships.

On 7/4/2016, 10:23:17, KathieB said:

I toyed with ordering it myself. It seems to be more comprehensive than my notebook. I may yet do so.

Edited to add: Wow! I just went on line to order, and they're sold out! Lots of people must think it's a good idea. The notice said more are on order. They'll send me an email when it ships.

Just got an email that the "I'm Dead, Now What?" book has shipped. :)  That was quick!

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎18‎:‎31‎, rodentraiser said:

Amazon has this. I shouldn't laugh, but the title struck me as hilarious. Even my mom laughed her head off about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Important-Information-Belongings-Business-Affairs/dp/1441317996

Oh my gosh, this is great!! As most of you know, I am goin thru this scenario with my parents right now.  Although my dad hasn't passed away yet (just in nursing care), my Mother never learned how my Dad took care of the financial stuff.  So now she has been suddenly thrown into it and is struggling.  Last summer they said I could come over and help organize their paperwork....well I showed up with a new file cabinet, files, etc and they wouldn't even let me in the office!  -sigh-  Fast-forward to present: I spent several hours on Monday finally sorting thu some of Dad's paperwork with a promise to come over once a month to work on the rest of it!  She was SO "We can still take care of this stuff ourselves!" until he went to the home- now she is "I am just ready to hand it all over and let YOU take care of it!" 

Needless to say- being in the midst of this with my parents I am determined NOT to let this happen to my kids!  And the book's title is just our kind of humor! :D

:sofa:   This is me - slipping away to my Greenleaf hiding place. Facebook is overwhelmed with political opinions and I don't want to hear another word about politics!  I do have opinions but I don't want to share them, or listen to anyone else's opinion. In one of the groups I'm in there is suddenly a topic that has everyone on opposite sides - don't want to hear it. 

My grandchildren are still here and right now Grandpa took them swimming at a nearby State Park, my mother has gone down for a nap, and the kids' clothes are in the washer.  What's that I hear?  Silence!    Did someone call me?  NO!   I am discovering that my sweet mother, whom I dearly love, does not "play well with others"!!  :bangin:  I'm afraid the generation gap from 93 to 11 is just too big!

So for a few moments, until the clothes are ready for the dryer, I will hide in Mini-Land where all is beautiful.  Then I will go out to my workshop and keep working on my Micro Village.    Love y'all.  :)

• Like 1

CJ, can understand your feelings and that is also why I feel that here at GL is where one does't need to have the guard up so to speak. It is just the Place to reload from anything and Everything...

Hugs

• Like 1

Hi all! I am just checking in, have not posted in a while.
 Today I am struggling with arranging my crafting room into a work space for my houses. I have done a number of crafts through the years and it shows. The room at this time looks like a crafting store. I did donate about 100 stamps, it's a start right? This past weekend at Savers, (a donation store), I picked up a farmhouse dining table for 12 dollars. I think it is a bit large for the room but if I have DH cut it in half and somehow attach it to walls it will be perfect !

Now to make another cup of coffee and venture in there to make more donation piles and think of ways to store mini making items..Wish me luck ;)

On 7/6/2016, 12:38:47, rodentraiser said:

I should ask Amazon to give me a finder's fee. :D

Indeed, you should! :) Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

On 7/6/2016, 8:52:52, KathieB said:

Just got an email that the "I'm Dead, Now What?" book has shipped. :)  That was quick!

The book arrived yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised at how comprehensive it is. I was hoping it might accommodate information for both both Lloyd and me, but it is specific to a single individual. I will be ordering a second one for Lloyd's information.

The book has a hard cover and is wire bound,  so it lies flat while your writing in it. Looks and feels much more expensive. A real bargain on several levels for $15.

https://www.amazon.com/Important-Information-Belongings-Business-Affairs/dp/1441317996 

Glad the book gets a thumbs up. I might have to get one for my husband and myself. Packing the car this morning for our trip down South. We'll have VERY spotty wifi so I probably won't be on here for a week or more.

With my BIL's estate the most difficult items to replace are his car title and his DD-14(?) Navy Discharge papers. Please make sure you keep those in a safe place so your family can find them. Especially if you want to have the Navy dispose of your ashes at sea. I still have to find out if his deceased wife's ashes can be spread with his.  Anyone know that answer?

1 hour ago, Sable said:

With my BIL's estate the most difficult items to replace are his car title and his DD-14(?) Navy Discharge papers. Please make sure you keep those in a safe place so your family can find them. Especially if you want to have the Navy dispose of your ashes at sea. I still have to find out if his deceased wife's ashes can be spread with his.  Anyone know that answer?

Copies of items like this are going to go into the Bucket Book (notebook) that will be a supplement to the I'm Dead book. The originals will be all filed in one place (in a pick-up-and-go file to take with us during hurricane evacuations). Thought about putting them in a safety deposit box, but might be difficult for someone to access in an emergency if neither L nor I are physically able.

Please let us know what you find out about the Navy spreading the ashes at sea. 

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Copies of items like this are going to go into the Bucket Book (notebook) that will be a supplement to the I'm Dead book. The originals will be all filed in one place (in a pick-up-and-go file to take with us during hurricane evacuations). Thought about putting them in a safety deposit box, but might be difficult for someone to access in an emergency if neither L nor I are physically able.

Please let us know what you find out about the Navy spreading the ashes at sea. 

The only thing I know so far is that the ashes must be placed by the mortuary in a biodegradable material, not plastic.

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

You can also arrange with the mortuary to have the deceased's ashes scattered at sea; both my mother & stepfather had that done.

I could easily take them to our beach in vero and scatter them during low tide, but he had his wish for the Navy to do it and I will honor that.

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

You can also arrange with the mortuary to have the deceased's ashes scattered at sea; both my mother & stepfather had that done.

My two uncles and one aunt were cremated, and their ashes scattered in Puget Sound. The mortuary here will make a biodegradable wreath, actually part fish food, and the ashes are placed in the center. We pre-arranged to have the family board a ferry with the wreath, the Captain stopped the boat halfway across and then made an announcement for the general public so they knew why we stopped. Our family was at one end of the boat and my cousin and his daughter threw the wreath over the side. It bobbed away and slowly disintegrated and sank.  It was a beautiful ceremony, and I would like that for myself, also. 

:plane:   Took the grandchildren to the airport this morning, leaving the house at 5:30 a.m.  DH and I were able to go through security with them and we stayed until they safely boarded the plane.  We got home and started cleaning!  He did the vacuuming, I washed two loads of bedding and towels! Got everything back where it belongs and it all looks wonderful now!  Whew!

My granddaughter, Savannah (11), was bitten by the mini-bug while she was here. :)  Every grandmother's dream!  We built her a Lisa's Cottage which will be a little bakery - Savannah's Snacks - and she did almost all the work on it. This is her first house and she's not long on patience so I opted for spray paint and paper flooring and ceilings.  No wallpaper, or fancy stuff, but it looks very good. She chose all the colors.  I've got some pictures in a new album ... Granddaughter's Dollhouse

I'll finish up the final touches for her and then have to mail it - it's heavy! :eek:

14 hours ago, Sable said:

DD214 is the discharge form.  You can request that form from the VA or NPRC in St. Louis, no. They have an online request form.  Your local veteran service officer should be able to assist you

Mom and I tried to get in to see Tarzan at the movies yesterday. Unfortunately, the a/c unit for that theater screen was on the fritz. Seeing how they said it was 80+ degrees in there, we decided to just go home. I don't mind seeing jungle on the screen; I draw the line at feeling like I'm in one while watching! LOL

• Like 1

I just got home for the first time since July 8th.

I usually try to find the humor in suffering and give everyone a laugh when I return, so here it is.

Last month on June 20th, I had my last meal.  June 21 my stomach went on strike for the first time since 2013.  I tried to ignore it at first, then it reached a point where I finally called my GI doctor.  He said to go to the ER, so of course I went to work instead.  I don't need to pay $2,000+ and wait half the day (or longer) in an ER waiting room to hear an inexperienced med student misdiagnose a prolonged GI problem as "indigestion".  By the end of my shift, I had had enough and my DW picked me up at work and dropped me off at the ER.  4 hours later I was finally seen.  I ended up spending the next 5 days on the sixth floor.  After 44 different lab tests and 5 different scans and procedures, they couldn't find the problem, so they rubber stamped "IBS" for a diagnosis and sent me home with prescriptions for six pills I couldn't even keep down while I was being given the discharge paperwork.  Not a new experience, so I figured I'll just lose a lot of weight over the next 3 months while it slowly heals (like last time).

After 2 weeks, it got worse, so I went to a small free-standing University ER in the north side of town on July 8th.  I figured I would be seen sooner (within 5 minutes, apparently) and might even go home the same evening.  I was half right.  The drugs were so good, I barely remember the ambulance ride to the main hospital on the south side of town.

Apparently there's a small area next to the food court called the "Admit / Discharge Transition Unit".  It's a collection of closets with stretchers in them.  Due to the medically induced stupor I was in, I got a bright yellow bracelet with the words "FALL RISK" (like the bracelets at night clubs and bars should have written on them) in bold print and a stretcher with a 90's car alarm style system installed.  If you even try to sit up, a loud voice says "Please don't get up.  Lie down and call for assistance" just before the annoying alarm starts ringing.  There was no escape.

After 28 hours in there, I was told I was being transferred - to my DW's unit.  I asked them to just dump me in the alley behind the building instead, but no dice.  The only thing more humiliating than being poked and prodded in a hospital, is to get poked and prodded by all of your spouse's friends and colleagues.  I will not be attending their end of the year parties this year.  Or ever.  So from Saturday night to Friday afternoon, I was hooked to an IV and with a sign on the door that said I wasn't eating or drinking anything.  Which was fine since it wouldn't have agreed with me anyway.  While I was there, I did update my facebook page a few times with photos of the room and captions like: "I don't slack very often, but when I do, it's epic."  Another read: "Worst. Vacation. Ever."  I told my boss Shands Hospital revoked my parole.  I'm doing hard time in cell block 74.  The funniest part was a couple of days ago.  Twice in one day doctors asked me if I smoked marijuana.  I told them the truth- I haven't smoked my first Marlboro yet and never will.  I can't work for the VA and use drugs.  So of course they drug tested me.  I told my employer that if they wanted an up-to-date drug test from me, I have one and it is clean (minus what ever I was given by the nurses).

Once again, lots of labs and tests, but so far, nothing seems to be wrong.  At least half a dozen highly educated professionals have been stumped, most likely, by a single-cell organism.  This morning the doctor who was managing my case told me that if I could keep a cup of broth down, I would be discharged.  I couldn't, but I was able to get paroled anyway.  Granted, he did call me on the nurse's phone and asked if I thought I was ready to go.  I'm out of sick leave, We have spent over $1,000 on babysitters over the two stays and I needed to get back to work. So I did right after getting home, getting cleaned up and ready.

While I was at work, I got a phone call.  It was the doctor.  He was concerned and wanted to know if I was able to keep down any liquids.  I am not.  He was also worried about my quirky blood pressure.  Nobody worried about when I was there, but apparently 129/116 isn't acceptable to some people.  He wants me to go back and "get checked in", what ever that means.  Not in my budget or interest at the moment. 

I have basically fasted for the past 25 days, I've lost 24 pounds and there's no end in sight.  On a bright note, my beer gut is officially gone.

On 7/9/2016, 10:32:15, Sable said:

Edited by KathieB
Shoot. Can't delete that empty quote box, can't type message *sigh*