What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

All fixed. Algae blocking drain blasted out with nitrogen and rinsed with hot water and anti-algae gel tab inserted. Life is good again. And I didn't have to sell any miniatures. :D 

I have to shoulder some responsibility. The HVAC guys who were doing the annual servicing went out of business and I didn't get around to finding a replacement. I need to needlepoint a pillow with "Never Put Off Until Tomorrow ..." on it.

• Like 1

Thankfully no appliance issues here.....  and no rain, either!  Hermine totally missed us and we really could have used the rain.

My weekend is going to be filled making little fondant dinosaurs for the 3 year birthday boy of a friend.  Cake to be delivered Saturday morning, so I will be up late tonite creating. 

Hubby will be off helping a young friend put in a new kitchen, so maybe I can have a quiet afternoon and finally get back to my rehab dollhouse project after the cake delivery is finished! 

I feel your pain Kathie.  One of our HVAC unit was on the fritz and barely working (I'm in TX - this is not an option).  First company said it would be about a $5k fix, second company said we needed a new unit (only $15-20K), third fixed it for $182.  Has worked perfectly the last three days.  I think we'll stick with calling that third company from here on out.  

• Like 2

Now that my BIL's Vegas condos are in good hands with estate people, it is time to address the NC house. The tenant is out but unfortunately the house is a mess. It will cost the estate approx $25k to bring it up an additional $100k,   It's just cosmetic work...new wood floors, carpet, all new door knobs and plumbing fixtures, granite, Kilz and paint, appliances, yard work....  We are heading up there in a week or so and having a home inspection to make sure all the mechanicals are good, fingers crossed.

I feel your pain, dear heart.  We let a neighbor & friend rent our Havana house whilst we moved to AL, to get her away from her (now) ex.  What with one thing & another we had to practically rebuild the house before we could sell it.  Fortunately once we got done with all the work the house sold to a nice family.

I was going to slow roast some ribs in the oven yesterday afternoon when I discovered that I could no longer set my oven to 280 degrees. One end of the oven's control panel burned out. We'd replaced the panel once already, and the panels cost almost $300. The range is 9 years old and I've lost track of how many times we've had to get the ignitors for the burners replaced. I've replaced broken knobs 3 or 4 times. We went out to look at new ranges today. When I looked at online reviews for various models I became totally exasperated by how many people said they loved their new ranges just because they looked so good in their kitchens. My mom's range lasted over 30 years. The cooktop and oven in my first house were over 20 years old before we had them replaced when we remodeled the kitchen. My next house had a 20 odd year old stove, which we replaced when we remodeled. They don't make them like they used to. Anybody have a Bosch? DH liked the Bosch at Lowes because it looked so heavy duty - sturdy oven door. We're going to look at more ranges this week. 

On 9/6/2016, 5:53:22, chapchap73 said:
2 minutes ago, grazhina said:

Anybody have a Bosch? DH liked the Bosch at Lowes because it looked so heavy duty - sturdy oven door. We're going to look at more ranges this week. 

I don't have a Bosch stove, but I do have a Bosch counter-depth refrigerator/freezer that I like a lot. If the stoves is as well engineered as their refrigerators, you should be happy if that is your choice.

The people living in the house when we bought it took everything that wasn't nailed down (and several things that were), so we hit the thrift stores to replace the stove and washing machine whilst we saved up for better ones; we got the fridge and dryer new.  The Kenmore washer of indeterminate age lasted nearly two years; the stove, a GE the same model as the one DH bought for our house in Jacksonville, FL, in 1979, is still going strong.

2 hours ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

It's so cute! You did a great job! Multi talented, Jackie! I bet you make amazing gingerbread houses, too!

I made one large gingerbread house YEARS ago and never did another one since. :)  Mostly when the kids were little we made little villages with graham crackers, and when the kids were older we did little actual gingerbread houses, but never a big one again.

• Like 1

Jackie, your cake is terrific!

Real-Life renovations are going on this week. We are redoing some of our bathroom. We took out the shower doors, medicine cabinet and vanity and are replacing them with new ones. Tile around the bottom of the room had to come out also because the new medicine cabinet is much smaller than the old one which was way too large for the space,  I'm doing beadboard on the walls all the way to the ceiling. then finishing it off with some kind of trim that is yet to be determined.

Love the cake!

Last weekend, I found some google images of millifiori quilts, so I found a pattern on google, printed it out, and started stitching. It's "scrappy" because I'm using scraps out of my fabric stash. Sewing EPP (English Paper Piecing) is much easier with "large" pieces! (My last EPP was in miniature, with hexagons approx 1/4" to a side.) Who knows how far I'll get-- I have one rosette nearing completion, with a little bit of "fussy cutting":

large.IMG_3796.jpg.4abde8990453c10cc01a7

• Like 2

On 9/18/2016, 2:25:51, rbytsdy said:

Sewing EPP (English Paper Piecing) is much easier with "large" pieces!

They didn't call it that back when I did it in the early 70's. I was commuting by train everyday and liked that I could take a stack of prepared pieces and sit and stitch them together on the way to and from work. Pity I can't remember who I gave the quilt to. I like your colors.

25 minutes ago, grazhina said:

They didn't call it that back when I did it in the early 70's. I was commuting by train everyday and liked that I could take a stack of prepared pieces and sit and stitch them together on the way to and from work. Pity I can't remember who I gave the quilt to. I like your colors.

Thanks! This would be a good take-along project, if I could make my fabric choices ahead of time. So far, that part has been fairly ad hoc. :p My blue rosette is now about done, so time to start on another color.

You can tell the weather is changing even without stepping outside. Now that it's fall, the lock on our master bedroom door is working again. During the summer you only need to push the door open gently even if it's locked. The  door to the spare room is staying open. During summer you have to push it all the way open to the wall or it'll swing shut. The door to the laundry room, however, is locking itself. We have no idea why the builder put a locking knob on the laundry room. I have to keep a little thingy by the door to pick the lock open every time it locks itself for no reason.

Does anyone else wear 3 different sizes of shoes? I've been wearing 9 & 91/2 for the last few years, and I get days when either size fits really well or they both feel uncomfortable. It's not that my feet swell a lot, even my doctor said they don't. It must have something to do with the fact that my feet have always been sensitive and the older I get, the more sensitive they get, I guess. Anyway, I went shoe shopping and found myself 2 pair of comfortable size 10's. Funny thing, some of the other size 10's I tried on felt just like my 9's. 

We decided we might as well buy a new range rather than fix the one we have, especially since one of the electronic igniters has been malfunctioning now and then and that would mean another repair in addition to replacing the control panel.  The other night DH came up to bed and said the refrigerator was making a whistling noise.