What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I'm Back!!!!    Hi everyone!   Wow I haven't been in here for ages!  I can't remember actually the last time I stopped by.  With many issues over the past months I haven't done any mini work at all!!!    Santa brought me a Fairfield kit for Christmas so I am getting ready to venture into Half Scale.  I was going to ask if anyone has used Calico Crittor furniture for their half scale houses?   It looks to be close to half scale to me but hard to tell online. 
I am still catching up from the holidays but I have placed the box on my work table ready to dig in as soon as I can.  

Happy New Year to you all! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roxxie2 said:

I'm Back!!!! ... I was going to ask if anyone has used Calico Crittor furniture for their half scale houses?   It looks to be close to half scale to me but hard to tell online. 
I am still catching up from the holidays but I have placed the box on my work table ready to dig in as soon as I can.  

Calico Critters are an okay size if they are not placed close to furniture. I used the frog family on my 1:24 houseboat. The figures are placed away from furnishings -- the Captain, his wife and son are all outside. The baby is standing in the crib in the nursery; she looks more like a 3-year-old than a 3-month-old, but it works. In the rooms of the Fairfield, they may be a bit overpowering.

See the houseboat here.

• Like 1

I meant the furniture sets themselves.   I can't afford the prices of the half scale furniture I didn't realize it was so pricey!   I have never seen a Fairfield in person so I guess I don't know what size the rooms really are.   I am just shopping around right now I haven't even opened the box!!!

How about half scale furniture from HBS???   They have 26% off today by the way!

3 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

I meant the furniture sets themselves.   I can't afford the prices of the half scale furniture I didn't realize it was so pricey!  

I don't have any of the furniture, but if it is scaled to the Critters, it will probably be a bit large for the Fairfield. Maybe now is the time to go to 1inchminis.blogspot.com and make some 1:24 furniture. 

• Like 1

Spending this quiet week between Christmas and New Year's organizing data for tax preparation and doing some general clean-up and organization around here. Blackeyed peas and ham hocks simmering on the stove.

• Like 1

That's good to know!   Thanks!    I was just going to ask for some sites where they sell half scale other than HBS.    I do make quite a lot of my furnishings.  I love to make little couches and chairs.

Looking for Gina's blog on building the Fairfield.  Thanks

Roxy, my issue with the HBS furniture is that it was too small.  I had made up some 1:24 furniture kits and, of course, the dolls for my Fairfields, and when I put the HBS furniture in with them it was pitifully tiny!  DH & I figured it was closer to 1:32; so I wound up scaling down 1:12 furniture patterns to make the furniture I put in mine:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=3404  BTW, HO scale culverts from the model train shop make terrific fireplaces, I used them in some of the bedrooms:

The Kitchen

and I  also made some from foamcore.

• Like 1

HI HOLLY!   This is a difficult scale I can see already.  I actually have some puzzle furniture that I might be able to modify in some cases.  I guess I have to build so I can see the actual room sizes and then try to make my own.  I have been looking all over the internet this afternoon and there aren't many kitchen appliances in the scale.   I guess I will have fun making my own as usual!   Thanks for the heads up on the HBS scale furniture.  I don't want it to look wonky! 

I just hit your link and wow!  You did a lot of furniture making!!!!   I love foam core its better than wood for me because its easier to cut.   Now I feel better about this.  Thanks! 

Hi, Roxy--

For appliances, check eBay for Acme magnets.  They make great modern appliances with doors that really open.  If you keep a lookout, you can get some pretty good deals.  For furniture kits, try SDK miniatures http://sdk.miniature.net/furniture.htm and Mini Etchers (very affordable, and she has great kitchen kits as well as some nice Eastlake pieces, if you are trying to do period) http://www.minietchers.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html.  Karen Benson also has beautiful kits, although she is a bit pricier http://karenbensonminiatures.com/shop/.  If you want ready-made pieces, Mountain Miniatures and DeJoux Miniatures have good selections. And if you don't mind ordering from across the pond, I love A Trifle Small for accessories and some kits I haven't found anywhere else.  Good luck, and happy building!

Deborah

• Like 1

Thanks so much!    I have to build the house first I guess!   I love to research everything before I build its part of the fun!   Ray didn't know anything about half scale or anything else about dollhouse building but it was sweet of him to get this kit for me so I want to do it right!   Have a good weekend everyone!  :)

Roxy, I got a Fairfield kit and was gifted with another, just after we had spent nearly a week playing in & around Acadia National Park; so of course I had to build them as halves of a Bar Harbor summer cottage!  Scaling down & building the Knowle settee was the most fun.

• Like 1

That's a cute idea I like the settee!    I can't even figure out what my theme will be yet.  Its half the fun for me to look around for a while before inspiration occurs. 

I went to our only store today (Walmart) and they have increased their craft area so I bought a bunch of paint and will do with what is available.  I plan to print my own wallpapers and floors and you have me inspired to make the furniture.  I think that is more fun than buying it anyway.  I will let you know when I get that far!   I might open the box later.

Still putting Christmas stuff away!   I had no idea I had gotten so much around in the first place to tell you the truth!  :D

I invested  in some 1/4" grid graph paper, which certainly helped with scaling down those patterns.  I kept a couple of carver chairs, the brass beds and end tables from the HBS stuff; used sparingly it doesn't look too small.  I found some tiny print scrapbook papers on lightweight card stock in a pad in different colors at Wally World that were perfect for wallpaper, and fat quarters worked for dressing beds and some of the windows:

gold bedroom.JPG

• Like 1

Roxy, I got a book on 1/24 furniture making from Petite Properties. They are in the UK, but the shipping to the US was quite reasonable.  Hopefully, I will be getting my Fairfield out from under the dresser soon.  All of my stash is so patient with me :)

• Like 1

Holly and Sarah are so helpful!   Once I get going I will be ok.   I hope I can build the dang house!  You know me,  dyslexic all the way.   I have my trusty pencil and will be marking everything with lines and arrows!   :D

Pretty bed and I will look in our pitiful Walmart for that paper pad!   It might be less expensive than all that ink for the printer!  I love gathering all my tools and paper.  Its so much fun to plan isn't it?  Sarah you need to get out that Fairfield and we can build it together!   By the time I get to it maybe you will!!!   Big cheesy grin!  :D

• Like 1

Today is official take down the Christmas stuff day. It's time to get the house back to "normal"  whatever that is. DS#2 is home sick with the stomach virus that DS#1 had over the weekend. DH lost most of a night's sleep and I lost an entire day. He should be better by Friday night.

• Like 1

All my decorations are down except for the tree!  Would you believe?   We got a gorgeous new artificial tree this year and I am waiting on the storage bags to arrive.  I don't want to store it in the box as we have all kinds of dust and crittors in the garage that could destroy it.   We gave up on the Charlie Brown trees that they sell here for one that will pay for itself in a couple of years.  I am now wishing to get it put away.  I am ready for the Easter Bunny!