What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Today was nose surgery number 6 which includes the original two Mohs surguries in April which removed basal cell cancer over 75 % of my nose. The two part reconstructive   Paramedium Forehead Flap (warning if you google it) and now the second revision. After next week I will have driven 24 times to his office in Boca. Each surgery had required 5 visits: a preop, op, post op, stitch removal and one month followup. 

Before all of this I went to yoga twice a week, walked a mile a few times a week (mall walker) and used my ballet barre. I'm so out of shape it is frightening.  Not a muscle left in my body except the right upper arm from cleaning out my son's disgusting refrigerator. Hopefully this was my last surgery so I can do strenuous things again.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sable said:

Hopefully this was my last surgery so I can do strenuous things again.

14 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I did a happy dance (non-strenuous) in hopes that this is, indeed, your last surgery.

On 8/22/2017, 3:46:59, havanaholly said:

I hope so, too! Dancing in the rain :) 

(Dunno why the 8/22 post blank quote box appeared. Silly software!)

Waiting for a call from attorney with instructions on how to do a wire transfer to their account for the closing tomorrow.  Woke up this morning wondering why in the world at age 76 would I want to take on the responsibility of a single-family home again and thinking about all of the work still left to do in NOLA before the move on Sept 21. I managed to shake it off with a nice cup of café au lait. Reminded myself that I don't FEEL 76. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

I hope so, too! Dancing in the rain :) 

(Dunno why the 8/22 post blank quote box appeared. Silly software!)

Waiting for a call from attorney with instructions on how to do a wire transfer to their account for the closing tomorrow.  Woke up this morning wondering why in the world at age 76 would I want to take on the responsibility of a single-family home again and thinking about all of the work still left to do in NOLA before the move on Sept 21. I managed to shake it off with a nice cup of café au lait. Reminded myself that I don't FEEL 76. 

I say why not Kathie! :) If you have the energy and you love it, go for it.. and you are! Do any of us ever feel our age though? Thinking young keeps you young. Congrats on the new house! 

Today would have been my dad's 84th birthday.  It will be his first birthday in Heaven. The family & some close friends will be gathering this evening for an "ice cream social" to celebrate the occasion. My dad loved homemade ice cream-especially black raspberry, so I made some of that and classic vanilla. 

Our family has not been together since the funeral, and my mom and I are in the process of deeding the rental house over to my brother (who is bi-polar and is just in general what my mom calls a "poor soul")...he hasn't bothered to contact either of us since he was notified a month ago.  We'll see if he shows up.  

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Closed on the new house today. A ton of details to sort out tomorrow! 

Congratulations Kathie. Hope your new home will inspire lots of mini creativity to keep slackers like me entertained for some time to come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Selkie said:

Congratulations Kathie. Hope your new home will inspire lots of mini creativity to keep slackers like me entertained for some time to come.

Me, too. :) 

Jackie, I hope your family has a wonderful time remembering your dad.  Kathie, congrats on your new house! You guys are all so busy doing fun stuff; it makes for exciting reading for boring old me.  We are in process of getting ready for school (starts Tuesday)  plus I am switching round my office space.The desk I had was too small, so I went the cheap way and made one from a door and two filing cabinets.  All was going well with the move until I dropped my backup desktop and broke the power supply.  It's not a really significant loss since DS1 was able to salvage all the relevant pieces, but I need a new one. The laptop I use is also getting a little slow and crusty so I was thinking about looking for something else anyway. On the plus side the new desk is the perfect amount of space, and a new pc might just be able to play nicely with my camera so I can upload some photos.

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! The purchase and move is still going smoothly <knocking wood>.  Yesterday spent hours on line and on phone, but the utilities are now all in my name. Had the locks changed and met with a painter. I was hoping to get the living room/great room with its 12-foot ceiling painted before I left, but he juggled his schedule thanks to an understanding client and will have ALL of the rooms painted this weekend, at a price I can afford. Life is good. :) <still knocking wood> Will be heading back to NOLA on Monday or Tuesday to deal with packing and the disposition of the condo.

• Like 3

That's great Kathie! Sounds like everything is falling into place like it should, I'm so excited for you.

The youngest came home from college for the first time since he left (3 weeks - but this is literally the longest he has ever been away from home). He's doing good though. Mama is out of town, so she may miss seeing him, and Lawson (middle kid) is being a D&D DM for Dragon Con this weekend (got his membership paid for, yay!), so he won't get to see his brother either. But he came home for his "not a girlfriend's" birthday, so it wasn't about any of us anyway. :) He was happy to get Golden Corral for dinner last night, and we'll have his favorite, spaghetti, tonight. 

I really would love to do some mini work this weekend, I have some 1:48 kits to build, or if I really wanted to be adventurous, a 1:48 Japanese house or my 1:144 Beacon Hill. But I really need to get some work done. We are starting to roll out a new asset and ticketing system at work, and I'm the administrator of that.  And I have also been directly involved of the rollout of almost 40,000 student devices (we are 1/3 done!), so I am behind on getting things set up. I have a bunch of assets to assign, and permissions to fix. The company did an update a couple weeks ago that messed up all the permissions I had already set. (we won't even mention the trouble I'm having with getting them to get other things set up) :( But it's a long weekend, so maybe I can compromise and get some mini time in too. 

Happy Labor Day Weekend!!

One monkey wrench in the works. I spent most of Friday on the phone or internet, got squared away with all  the utilities -- gas, electric, tv, internet -- no sweat. Most checked my credit while I was on the phone, none required a deposit. But then there was the Paulding County Water Department. Called their office three times before I could get through. Kept getting messages: 12 minute wait. So finally in the late morning I steeled myself and waited. Yup. Twelve minutes. The sweetheart who answered said I could come in in person or download the application from their website. OK. So I downloaded the application. Instructions said to fill it out and fax it back to them, then phone them with credit card info. Filled it out, faxed it to them, then started calling again. Now it is mid afternoon and the message says 30 minute wait. I couldn't wait. Tried again a little later. Same deal. And again. Did not get through to them before closing time. So flash to this morning. I'm at the house, meeting the crew of 6 painters. No water. I call water emergency number. I explain the situation. Lovely lady, Diane, tries her best, calls me back 4 times during the day after checking with various supervisors that she tracks down, but no go. Turns out, she tells me, that when the application is received, it has to be vetted by "the office" and payment collected, then the water is turned on up to 48 hours later. You can get it turned on the same day for a $75 fee. Did the sweetheart I talked to on Friday tell me that? Nope.

A person can live without electricity or gas or tv or internet, but not without water. I went to Dollar Tree and loaded up on water, but still ...

So Tuesday, when the office opens, I need to start calling again. No way am I paying $75 for same day service, so apparently water won't be on until at least Wednesday, at which time I'll be driving back to NOLA. My sister will have to check to see if the water is turned on. I am not happy with Paulding County Georgia at this point in time and believe me, "the office" supervisor is going to know about it.

Getting off soapbox now. If you're still reading this, thanks for your patience as I vent. I probably should just suck it up, but  everything else has gone so smoothly that this seems even more egregious by comparison.

I am just comatosing out in front of the fan. This is the FIRST day of a six day heat wave.

Meantime in this heat, I went to the Farmer's Market today and got 4 lbs each of peaches, blueberries, and plums, 2 pints of cherry tomatoes, and 4 pints of strawberries. I don't know what possessed me to do that because no way can I eat all that before it rots. So I spent the day washing, hulling, depitting, and slicing strawberries, plums and peaches and they're all in their little bags in the freezer. The blueberries are due to be washed and frozen tomorrow (I keep waiting to see if they'll jump into the sink and wash themselves but so far no luck), along with cutting and bagging meat to freeze and a load of laundry. Thank heavens I got the shopping for the month done yesterday.

Also sometime tomorrow I  need to cook a couple of chicken breasts, wash my hair, balance my checkbook, and drive down to pick up a computer table. I did my dishes tonight and those are the last dishes that will get washed this week because I. Am. Not. Cooking. this week. Except for the chicken. Everything gets eaten cold. On napkins. With my fingers.

Why is it I'm always insanely busy when it's a million degrees outside? All I really want to do is run a tub of cold water and sit in that all day.

And to continue my post above...I just got home from one of the grocery stores I visited last night. I was checking over my receipts tonight and didn't recognize the items on the one I had. Oh, thinks I, they gave me someone else's receipt. But then I see the last 4 digits of the debit card on the receipt. That's my card and this grocery receipt is for over $300! I just about had a heart attack.

I know what happened. The couple in front of me couldn't pay for their groceries, so they left and the cashier brought their cart over to the service desk so all that stuff could be put back again. Then she came back and rang me up - without clearing out their total. How I missed that when I paid with my debit card, I have no idea. But I know from now on, I'll be looking at those totals with an eagle eye.

Anyway, I went back to the store and I was credited $240 some bucks. And I got a ride in my air conditioned car. I'm glad it was so easily settled.

Oh, Kelly!  I think I would have had a heart attack!

We also went grocery shopping yesterday.  Last thing I was slicing the ginormous baguette I got and the bread knife slipped off the lovely hard crust and sliced into my left index finger, so I am trying to type and do the other things I normally do with ten fingers with nine fingers & a pressure dressing.