What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

5 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Kathie,  my Mum used to say a house becomes a home after three things, you have made a cup of tea, lit a fire and picked something from the garden Be happy in your new home and I bet putting it all away goes a lot easier than packing it

I like that. Had to laugh, though. The fireplace is gas, so lighting only means flicking a switch. But it has a glass and screen that nearly blocks the view of the flames! I can't figure out how to get the screen off. I have a feeling it has not been off in the past 10 years and dirt on the glass is the main culprit. One thing that makes the unpacking less stressful is the lack of a deadline. My goal is to open and empty every box, but at a reasonable pace.

9 hours ago, Sable said:

You should feel so proud of yourself for accomplishing all that you have taken on in the past six months. I know I'm proud of you and hope I have your courage if I'm ever in the same situation. I think you and your sister should take a spa day to reward yourself.

Thanks, Sable. You do what needs doing ... and life goes on. Spa day: what a great idea!

On 9/25/2017, 3:02:28, pgwyn said:

Just bought a DuraCraft Newburg on Ebay.  I am very excited to build this one.   The Linfield and Newburg look very similar to me.  Are there any outstanding differences?  

I have a Newburg kit, it is still unopened but I am planning on starting it this winter.  I found it years ago at Mardens, a salvage place for $29.99 

In 2009, I purchased an investment condo at an auction. At closing I noticed that the bathrooms hadn't been cleaned since the building was built in 1999. I had to clean ten years of moldy tile and caked up grout. I allowed my son to rent it from me until he purchased it five years ago. Since he is moving further up in Florida he decided to sell it to his neighbor. So for the past 5 days I've been cleaning HIS 8 years of moldy tile, caked up grout  and gross multilayered caulk. Now it looks really good for a place that's only been cleaned twice in 15 years!!!!

On Monday, September 25, 2017 12:02:28, pgwyn said:

Just bought a DuraCraft Newburg on Ebay.  I am very excited to build this one.   The Linfield and Newburg look very similar to me.  Are there any outstanding differences?  

They're the same house. Duracraft went through a remodeling stage on some of their houses a couple years before they quit. They remodeled the Farmhouse, the Newburg, and the San Franciscan - they remodeled that one twice, as a matter of fact. I think eventually they would have remodeled all of their houses, but they closed down before they could. The remodeled Farmhouse was just gorgeous compared to the old version. I have no need for that house, but I've still always wanted one.

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 3:19:44, havanaholly said:

The towel works for snakes, too; I used to use an old clean gallon ice cream tub for the ones that came in the house (except the pygmy rattler when we lived in Jacksonville; I dropped my iron skillet on it and let my hubs take the cadaver outside).

OMG! Was the snake OK?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Which snake, Kelly?  The pygmy rattler?  I killed it because they're deadly and the towel method isn't safe with them.  Sorry, but venomous snakes in the house are in the same category as feral rodents.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

PS.  I'm just about to give up and unpack everything 

You poor thing! This is beginning to border on torture!!! 

Tell him to get busy! I've heard that there's supposed to be another major downturn in the real estate market soon! If you time it right you'll still be able to sell high and buy low!!!

8 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

I've heard that there's supposed to be another major downturn in the real estate market soon!

Why? Where? Probably not in South Florida. We are at "buildout" which means there is no more land to build mega communities on and the demand for housing is strong.  I think people were concerned about losing the mortgage tax deduction but that's not happening. 

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Which snake, Kelly?  The pygmy rattler?  I killed it because they're deadly and the towel method isn't safe with them.  Sorry, but venomous snakes in the house are in the same category as feral rodents.

I was joking, Holly. I knew you meant the snake (I would have killed it, too).

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Why? Where? Probably not in South Florida. We are at "buildout" which means there is no more land to build mega communities on and the demand for housing is strong.  I think people were concerned about losing the mortgage tax deduction but that's not happening. 

My parents just put in an offer on their 2nd house in Lake Havasue City and are looking at flip properties from Las Vegas and spreading out from there. We've been talking to their Ameriprise financial manager and reading articles from places like Housewire, Zillo, Time and loads of others. The market has been rising an average of 7% while incomes have slumped at 2 to 3%. They say historically this is one indicator that another bubble will burst. They also mention geopolitical issues worldwide which will eventually affect the dollar, causing interest rates to rise, investors to shy, resulting in a major population of buyers to be unqualified again. Basically they are telling my dad to be very cautious because by the time the work is done on the investment property he may have to rent it out rather than sell. 

Selling the house won't be too hard.  College town and air force base near by.  Just needs a little upgrades, which is hard since we are 5 hrs away.  My realtor is pretty upbeat.  He'd better be.  Lol.  He's my oldest son.  You know the saying.   If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.  Hahaha 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Selling the house won't be too hard.  College town and air force base near by.  Just needs a little upgrades, which is hard since we are 5 hrs away.  My realtor is pretty upbeat.  He'd better be.  Lol.  He's my oldest son.  You know the saying.   If momma ain't happy, nobody's happy.  Hahaha 

Yeah for realtors in the family, boo for not being able to scare the hubs into action!  Hope you are still able to mix some fun stuff in with all that packing!

• Like 1

I'm trying to get myself ready to dip my foot back into the job market.  I'm not really looking forward to it, but needs must I'm afraid. I interview well,  the problem is getting the interview in the first place. So many companies have moved to online applications that it's harder to get your foot in the door. I'm not looking for a major career, just something to keep a few bills paid.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

They're the same house. Duracraft went through a remodeling stage on some of their houses a couple years before they quit. They remodeled the Farmhouse, the Newburg, and the San Franciscan - they remodeled that one twice, as a matter of fact. I think eventually they would have remodeled all of their houses, but they closed down before they could. The remodeled Farmhouse was just gorgeous compared to the old version. I have no need for that house, but I've still always wanted one.

Thanks.  It is very interesting to learn the history.  It is a shame they closed down.

I've been cleaning out my son's condo. Today, I used my Rockwell Versacut to cut through the laminate wood floors. I couldn't believe the the quarter round mounding was a cardboard material. Such cheap flooring and I paid way too much for it five years ago. Problem was that the water heater went and water got under it causing it to swell. That was 2 years ago and my son did nothing to try to replace it.  He is not on my good side right now.  I sold the condo to the next door neighbor who has three children. My husband keeps asking why I'm putting so much effort into this place. My response is, this is a hard working couple with three kids, I'm not delivering a pigsty to them!!!!!!  He doesn't know that I'm installing new carpet in two of the three bedrooms. Shhh it's a secret.

• Like 2

For the past several years DH & I have been looking for jazz-themed fabric to make him a shirt to wear to Jazz Society functions and a couple of weeks ago we found one he likes at Jo-Ann's; of course I cannot find an image online; but I got it cut out and began sewing it a week ago and today I finished everything but the buttonholes & buttons, which I'm working on now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

For the past several years DH & I have been looking for jazz-themed fabric to make him a shirt to wear to Jazz Society functions and a couple of weeks ago we found one he likes at Jo-Ann's; of course I cannot find an image online; but I got it cut out and began sewing it a week ago and today I finished everything but the buttonholes & buttons, which I'm working on now.

Picture please, when it's finished. :D

• 2 weeks later...

A rainy day here today, and I'm planning to relax with some crafts and maybe an audiobook.   I've been chatting with a cousin of mine who started cross stitch a couple years ago and loves it. It inspired/guilted me into doing something with my WIP. Got the sewing basket out, my Ott-Lite all ready, hot chocolate steaming nearby and......no chart. I spent 25 minutes looking for it with no luck. Fine, I won't be discouraged; I'll just work a bit on my felt ornaments....the new packet of beading needles I have has holes that can only be strung with human hair. Back to chart searching. still no luck. By this time, the hot chocolate is iced and I'm :pullhair: Briefly entertained getting out minis but decided they would probably disintegrate if I touched them. I found a plastic canvas cross stitch ornament kit in my needlework stash, and got started. So far, it's going well so there's hope for me yet!