What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Do you think Patti, I have quite  a fair few of his patterns but  on his site I see many more, in fact  there are so many I could fill a Garfield..  I do enjoy knitting sily littlethings like that. Maybe I will pick up the ones I am missing and study them a bit.

• Like 1

I will be the first to admit that I have no filing gene on my DNA helix. I started tossing papers to be filed into a box last August, before I moved. The box got very full. The more full it became, the less I felt up to tackling it. But today was the day. I'm pleased to report 85% of the papers have been either filed away or deemed useless and shredded. ("See? I knew there was some reason they didn't need to be filed right away," she mutters under her breath.) The remaining 15% will be tackled tomorrow. The lighting situation in the office is such that daylight is a great aid in reading fine print and it got away from me today.

I also made a batch of Tiger Butter and discovered that if you add a touch of cream to melted semi-sweet chocolate chips in an effort to thin them for easier pouring, they turn into a solid mass when you stir it. It LOOKS like fudge but tastes yukky. A quick trip to the grocery store for replacements, and all is well. I'd been at the grocery store earlier for a major shopping for ingredients for lasagna and gumbo. Prepped most of the ingredients for gumbo and will cook it tomorrow. The lasagna is for Friday night, when my brother and sister and their spouses will be here for dinner. Gumbo will be for another night.

Brother lives near Nashville. It will be the first time we three have been together for the holiday since I can't remember when. Years and years, anyway. 

• Like 4

We'll, made it back to MO. Rained most of the way.  Leave again on the 21st for San Antonio.  Pulled mail out of the box and had a card from my oldest daughter.   WHOOP!!!!!! 100.00 gift card for HOBBY LOBBY!!!!!.  She gave her dad a wall Mart gift card.  Lol.  She knows her dad. (She put a p.s. on his card.  "Mom don't steal dad's card".  Haha)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KathieB said:

Brother lives near Nashville. It will be the first time we three have been together for the holiday since I can't remember when. Years and years, anyway. 

My younger brother is the motivator in my family, he calls and gives a huge guilt trip if we are not all there at Christmas, I suspect it was because he was so much younger, then the rest of us so he got left home when we all went on in life is the reason that he still makes the effort.  Although we are quite close and always have been, not so much with my older brother, we were close until about 10 years ago when he started drinking a lot, now I only see him at Christmas at my younger brothers place. 

AAARRRGH!  OHMYGOSH we were so annoyed at the bank yesterday!!  Mother and I were there to close out her numerous accounts and transfer all funds to another bank (in preparation for the changes being made to her will and for her move to the retirement home)...so we were told that the largest account could not be closed out until they had a death certificate for my dad because the account was in his name.  WHAT??  OK, now you have to understand that we were in this very office back in March to do a change of ownership on all of his accounts and gave them a copy of the death certificate and the "short form", blah blah blah.  So now this new person is telling me that no certificate is on file and the account is STILL in his name!!??  ohmygosh. What did that other woman do with all of that paperwork?? 

On top of this, there was one account that was on my list that they "couldn't find" and my mother had no recollection of closing that account, nor could she recall anything about a second account that was on my list that we were told had been closed out in October.  I should have taken her word with a grain of salt.  I know better. :doh:  As our day continued I began to get more tidbits of information out of my mother's failing memory- she did recall that she closed out one CD in October "because she needed it for something"...although she had no idea what that would have been.  And I did manage to find paperwork that she had, in fact, closed the second account out in November.  But she had absolutely no recollection of sitting in that bank office and doing the paperwork for either of them.  blargh.  I asked her what on earth did she need that much money for- and hopefully she didn't give it to something stupid!  She declared that she did not- and that she was still competent!  Yeah- that's why you closed out two accounts in the last three months and have no memory of doing so and no memory of what you did with the money!! :doh:  Guess I need to check with her other bank and make sure she has a deposit matching those amounts...or new CD's with those amounts!

*sigh*   thanks for letting me vent.

Just pray that when she goes back to the bank today with the death certificate that everything goes smoothly and she deposits it directly into her other bank with no problems!!  (I can't be with her today so she is on her own for this transaction)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jbnmini said:

Just pray that when she goes back to the bank today with the death certificate that everything goes smoothly and she deposits it directly into her other bank with no problems!!  (I can't be with her today so she is on her own for this transaction)

How frustrating, Jackie. Will keep my fingers crossed that today's transaction goes smoothly and according to plan.

Jackie, maybe you should be added to her account. I know it is hard, my mom has dementia. She looked at my Christmas tree and said " I am so glad you didn't put up that pink Barbie tree like you always do." I have never ever had any sort of pink tree?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jbnmini said:

That can be so frustrating at this stage, when they still think they can do things but are easily taken advantage of in some situations.  My mother is way past that stage, she doesn't recognize any of us or wouldn't without Dad's coaching.  She is also not mobile, and much larger then my Dad, who at 91 takes care of her.   My younger brother said she is about at the terrible 2 stage, where she is refusing to do things and having temper tantrums.  Dad couldn't convince her to get out of bed a couple of days to go to the bathroom and Mike said he was washing sheets and cleaning up both days.  He also said that Dad mentioned that it might getting be time to put her in a nursing home soon.  He has heroically taking care of her now for years, before we moved them down to my brothers, 2 years ago, he was doing all the housework, outside work, cooking and everything.  Now they live in a in-law apartment in my brothers house.My mother is 89, well almost 90 now.

On 12/18/2017, 5:46:15, Beulah said:

OH Patti, they are perfect, I love them.  Where did you get them from 

I found them at Home Goods.  They were ornaments.  They are only about 4 inches tall so they are the perfect size and only $3.99 each.  Perfect price too.

• Like 2

I am busy  making curtains for Joe's house, I know, I know he is a bachelor but Red Riding Hoods mum has sort of adopted him and as he trades his wood and game she insisted on making him curtains. Just tiny gingham nothing fancy. I got some grout in the mail finally today so shall be doing the chimney tomorrow. Beyond that I am just rearranging my workroom and little else.

• Like 1

I went to the doctor today for my severe cold. Turns out I have Influenza A. I haven’t had a flu in over twenty years. Just completely miserable. Got prescribed Tamaflu and an antibiotic. He was afraid I also have a sinus infection. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sable said:

I went to the doctor today for my severe cold. Turns out I have Influenza A. I haven’t had a flu in over twenty years. Just completely miserable. Got prescribed Tamaflu and an antibiotic. He was afraid I also have a sinus infection. 

I feel your pain!  When I worked as a school nurse (with four different elementary schools) I could count on being out two weeks at a time twice a year with flu that turned into general bacterial respiratory infections that two rounds of different antibiotics to treat it all.  Since retiring this is only the second time I have had a cold.

Oh yikes Sable, I'm so sorry, hope you're feeling better soon. Flu is awful.

My husband and I both work at the Central Office of our school system. We used to work in the schools, and sometimes have to make school visits. When I was in the schools every day, I would always get sick in September after the kids had been back a few weeks, would be out several days, then have that stupid horrible cough for a couple weeks afterwards. 

Friday my husband had to go out to an elementary school. He was there less than 2 hours. And just like clockwork, he woke up Sunday with a sore throat... Germy kids...

10 hours ago, pgwyn said:

I found them at Home Goods.  They were ornaments.  They are only about 4 inches tall so they are the perfect size and only $3.99 each.  Perfect price too.

The elves who live in my Christmas house were ornaments I found on sale in the gift shop at the Nelson-Atkins Art Museum in Kansas City. 

• Like 1

oh no Sable!  The flu is nasty- hubby had it several years ago when there was a huge outbreak in our area. Sickest I've ever seen him!  Too sick, in fact, for me to get him into a car to get him to the doctor's office...once we finally got an appointment!  They were so swamped!   

Anyway- now that you've got some meds, I hope you will be on the mend and feeling better soon!

16 hours ago, Sable said:

It must have been all those New York City Super Germs! Hope you recover quickly Sable!