What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Hope everyone has managed a truly merry Christmas! My apologies I've been off here for so long, but at the moment have locked myself and my pup away from all others to avoid being made into a grouchy, grumpy, person. Something about the holidays that does it to my family -- and for the last several days I thought I'd really for once had the holiday season you hear about of a family happy and supportive of each other! However since the 25th, my father has been on a tangent of trying to just lay into everyone. Tonight I'd had enough and explained that while he may be happiest being miserable the rest of the family didn't need to hear it/deal with it! It's always been an oddity to me that my mother could raise us always believing "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" -- and yet live with him as my father... Mind boggling at best sometimes, and I'm just truly feeling done in dealing with it all!

Anyways, bright side for me was early Christmas morning and my baby girl(Lucy my profile pic puppy) dancing around me trying to help open her gifts -- she was beyond excited! Truly hope everyone has managed a happier holiday season than I did this year, and no matter what are still able to appreciate the little moments of joy you were able to!  <3

• Like 1

Condo sale is getting complicated. The original buyer accepted some minor changes from our counter but did not come up on price; his offer is $14,000 below asking. I rejected it. Will see if he comes back with any more money. If not, he's history.

Meanwhile, another person is interested in a purchase on an owner-financing arrangement. From what the realtor told me on the phone, it seems to be a possibility. Will wait to get more details in writing before pursuing this. I am getting an education in real estate transactions. This was not on my bucket list.

Ugh Kathie! What a pain, I'm so sorry. Hope things straighten out soon!

Kelli, I'm so sorry you had a miserable holiday. I don't understand why people complain all the time and bring others down. :( Glad you have your doggie to cheer you up!

Yesterday I had to make an hour trip to a store to pick something up I ordered last week. This particular store was the only store in FL and GA that had it in stock. Bleh. But a happy surprise... As I was heading back to the interstate, a different way than I came in order to avoid Atlanta traffic, I spotted a Hobbytown USA! I had never been in one, so I made the stop, and spent an hour in there! Yay! I had so much fun. They actually had a Harrison kit on the shelf, but since I currently have TWO in different stages in my garage, I passed on that. :) They also had some of the Corona furniture kits, but I have some of those as well.

Kelli. I really enjoyed the Ornaments on my tree. I will always cherish them. Thanks.

Kathie, personally I’m against owner financing at our age. Would you really want to be forced to file foreclosure procedures should they default?  Every year you have to include the interest income on your taxes. Make sure it is a variable rate and not fixed. Interest rates are expected to go up, you don’t want to cheat yourself with a fixed rate.   Also, should anything happen to you, your estate would have to handle it therefore,  more legal documents have to be drawn up so your heirs can deal with it.  Of course this is just my opinion, maybe it will be a sweet offer.

• Like 1

One of the few attractions of Tallahassee for me was the Hobbytown USA store and the other was Utrecht Art Supplies. 

Kathie, I think realtors get together to plot how to make transactions more complicated.  When we bought this house we didn't have to sign nearly as many papers as when we bought our last one; but selling that last house it seemed like the paperwork had doubled!  We were asked about doing owner financing for one potential buyer and we said no; less than a year later they came up with bank backing.

Kelli, I'm not sure why families have members who have to work at spoiling get-togethers for everyone else, but our own solution is to imagine how we'll celebrate once we're out of that situation, and then do so.  It sounds like you & Lucy managed the joyous bit quite nicely.

Tomorrow is my birthday (76, in case anyone wants to know) and we will be prepping the car to take The Kid back to Tallahassee Friday so he can welcome the New Year with all hi friends; so we decided to take me out to celebrate today.  Since both the hubs and son have caught my lovely cold we decided to forego the road trip to Ocean Springs, MS, and dinner at Phoenicia, and settled for early dinner at Felix's Fish Camp, stopping at Rouse's on the way home to pic up the pork, greens and black-eyed peas for New Year' dinner.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sable said:

Kathie, personally I’m against owner financing at our age. Would you really want to be forced to file foreclosure procedures should they default?  Every year you have to include the interest income on your taxes. Make sure it is a variable rate and not fixed. Interest rates are expected to go up, you don’t want to cheat yourself with a fixed rate.   Also, should anything happen to you, your estate would have to handle it therefore,  more legal documents have to be drawn up so your heirs can deal with it.  Of course this is just my opinion, maybe it will be a sweet offer.

Denise, Louisiana real estate law may be different from what you are familiar with. Louisiana is the only state that does not operate under English common law. If the buyer defaults on his monthly payments, it would not be necessary to go through foreclosure procedures. A service company administers the loan. They collect the monthly payments (which include real estate tax, condo HOA fee, their fee, principal, and interest) and administer it as a regular mortgage company would,collecting from him, paying me, and they pay the real estate tax. If the buyer is 15 days late on his monthly payment, the service company gives him 30 days to vacate, and that's it.He's out. I retain the title, so it can go back on the market immediately. He has an incentive to get it paid off, as he must pay the full real estate tax while I hold the title, about $750/year. Once he has title, he can get the homestead exemption, which gives him 100% relief. I think I paid $8.50 in miscellaneous tax last year. 

This particular buyer is well qualified and can put down 20%, which is double what is usually required for this kind of transaction. He had a bankruptcy 3 years ago which has been cleared. The mortgage company lending officer told my realtor that the buyer would qualify for a mortgage right now, but federal law requires a full 4 years must pass before he will be eligible for a mortgage. So the transaction should be completed in a year; we're not looking at long term. I will look into what my heirs would have to do should they have to take it over. Thanks for bringing that up.

And once I get a copy of the proposed contract, I will send it to my Louisiana attorney to look over.

This is probably more than anyone wants to know. If you're still reading, please accept my apology for running on in detail. Actually, writing it down has helped me to see it more clearly.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I was just going to suggest that setting it all down would help you to decide, and I certainly was unaware (but not surprised) that Louisiana had its own real estate laws.

Louisiana operates in its own little bubble in a lot of ways. :D 

I don't want to say I had a "miserable" holiday, there is always the bright side that for the first time in 35 years my parents were both sober! That is the biggest blessing ever, and I'll be the first to say that yes while my father seems to be happiest being negative in general -- it could be, and Lord knows has been a lot worse, when he has been drinking. I think I just get to that point of "over it" when it is he goes on for days at a time in that sort of snit. That's not quite the right word as to what I mean, but it's all that's coming to me at the moment. lol Kathie, as someone whom has been certified in insurance sales and financial advising in several states -- I learned something as well in your explanation of Louisiana law, so many thanks!

All in all if nothing else comes out of this holiday season, I've already been formulating in my mind my resolutions for the upcoming year. More importantly, I'm actually getting a head start on them! (This basically never happens, so it has me excited!) First off, I want to get five dollhouse built/rehabbed this upcoming year. I already have two that are soooo close to being done on rehabbing, so I'm trying to finish at least one up before this upcoming year -- that will allow me to really focus on my other houses. I also have been contacted to help a woman rehab a dollhouse after New Year's is come and gone -- it's a model I've never seen before, and would guess it to be not only handmade, but not a pattern I've seen before. Looking forward to that one, as it will definitely be something different! I didn't get anything for Christmas -- b/c I didn't want my folks trying to spend money they didn't have to spend(with mom's recent surgery, even with insurance, they'll be paying on that for a while), but we have a new place down close to the river that's like an on-going Garage Sale, only retail -- so I'm going to try and get down there, and get myself my typical combo Christmas/Birthday gift to self of a small buffet of sorts. Specifically so I can back it up to my work desk in the mini-ing area I have set up. Simple thought being I'll be able to store my fabrics and not have it look so messy. As a bit of a neat freak in so many areas it always amazes me how I seem to work best in chaos! None the less, thought being I'll have my work area neater and easier to work on houses from three sides(fourth side is a wall). 

6 minutes ago, minikelli said:

I don't want to say I had a "miserable" holiday, there is always the bright side that for the first time in 35 years my parents were both sober! That is the biggest blessing ever, and I'll be the first to say that yes while my father seems to be happiest being negative in general -- it could be, and Lord knows has been a lot worse, when he has been drinking. I think I just get to that point of "over it" when it is he goes on for days at a time in that sort of snit. That's not quite the right word as to what I mean, but it's all that's coming to me at the moment. lol Kathie, as someone whom has been certified in insurance sales and financial advising in several states -- I learned something as well in your explanation of Louisiana law, so many thanks!

All in all if nothing else comes out of this holiday season, I've already been formulating in my mind my resolutions for the upcoming year. More importantly, I'm actually getting a head start on them! (This basically never happens, so it has me excited!) First off, I want to get five dollhouse built/rehabbed this upcoming year. I already have two that are soooo close to being done on rehabbing, so I'm trying to finish at least one up before this upcoming year -- that will allow me to really focus on my other houses. I also have been contacted to help a woman rehab a dollhouse after New Year's is come and gone -- it's a model I've never seen before, and would guess it to be not only handmade, but not a pattern I've seen before. Looking forward to that one, as it will definitely be something different! I didn't get anything for Christmas -- b/c I didn't want my folks trying to spend money they didn't have to spend(with mom's recent surgery, even with insurance, they'll be paying on that for a while), but we have a new place down close to the river that's like an on-going Garage Sale, only retail -- so I'm going to try and get down there, and get myself my typical combo Christmas/Birthday gift to self of a small buffet of sorts. Specifically so I can back it up to my work desk in the mini-ing area I have set up. Simple thought being I'll be able to store my fabrics and not have it look so messy. As a bit of a neat freak in so many areas it always amazes me how I seem to work best in chaos! None the less, thought being I'll have my work area neater and easier to work on houses from three sides(fourth side is a wall). 

I'm with you on the chaos I defiantly work best that way. Seems every time I organize I can't find something . Thankfully I have storage area so it's not  complete Chaos . I'm also sorry to hear you had to grow up with alcoholism I wasn't in that world as a child but it sure seems to be all around me now with older family members  . I'm sure thats why I love the dollhouse/ miniature world it feels like I'm down the Alice and wonderland hole and nothing matters except my next move on the dollhouse .

Kelli I  am sorry to hear about your Dad's attitude .

Maybe I am stepping out of line here but I want to share something with you.

I have a similar problem with someone close, it is not alcohol but the effect it is the same. It took me a long time to deal with it and the way I do is very simple.   It may sound a bit mean but  I follow a sort of set of rules.  First I tell myself  I can't change it . Second I remind myself  I have done nothing to bring this on.  Third it is her choice .With those three  thoughts in mind, I get along OK with the person  and if she goes in to her "mood" as I  call it,  I simply say to myself  "she can please herself "and I do not let myself be drawn in .The person I am talking about always thinks of herself as a  victim  so is very negative about everything and everybody especially if she has had any involvement with them, I have heard a million times about how someone has been mean to her "after everything she did for them" She enjoys being the victim, it makes her special she thrives on the sympathy she gets. It is very sad but I will not  commiserate with her as she then feeds on that and brings up another incident, Sometimes I hear the same story over and over again. If I allow myself to get dragged in after a while I feel drained, so I no longer do it

It is not easy, but if I follow   the three rules, there is no guilt on my part. It really is her choice, if she is comfortable being miserable, then I  let her  be. I have a few phrases which I use rather than ignore her completely but I never argue, never agree and never try to change her mind. After a while she either leaves or stops. 

• Like 1

Kathie, when we sold my late BIL’s condo in Vegas we took a one year note which was also managed by a loan service company. It turned out to be a sweet deal and actually didn’t last the entire year. The buyer paid it off after 6 months. Thanks for the clarification. You are an extremely bright individual so I know you won’t be taken advantage of. These things just keep life interesting. Florida should learn from LA.

In my son’s condo sale case, we are still waiting for a lawsuit against the condo association to be finally settled so in the meantime the buyers are renting until the mortgage company will clear the loan. It’s crazy how one 4 year long lawsuit prevents 189 units from selling to non cash buyers.  The majority of the units are currently owned by cash paying investors so most of the units have become rentals. Just because two guys got drunk and had a fight and one of them fell off the balcony, all 189 units have had to suffer.

I’m in big trouble. The other day I put a huge jar of spoiled black pitted olives down the sink’s disposal. The entire mass is now stuck somewhere in the pipes under my house slab. The kitchen sink, dishwasher, washing machine and utility sink are all backed up. I’m in big trouble.  Our attempt to clear it is to fill the kitchen sink with water, let it back up into the utility sink and siphon the olive bits out of the sink into to yard. I figure we’ve gotten about a quarter of the olives out in the past 4 hours.

As one that has had multiple pipe problems with this 200 yo house I can sympathize with you Sable, Hopefully you get it all drained out!  I have learned a lot about snakes, plumbing, frozen pipes and while I can do plumbing it is not my favorite!

I ordered the Aster from Greenleaf, and it is on its way! YAY!  I will play around with it and then determine whether or not I wan't to order a second.  I was amazed that shopping was free.

You know Barb , I can see now how putting two Asters together might work nicely,I opened my box today and hadn't realized that it was side opening, I think I may just do that as I can't get my head around a side opening house, but fix it so two are side by side and closing the opening may be OK. Is that how you planned on doing it?

I'm going to order my self a  mess of clay dollhouse bricks, so that the next time I want to make a brick floor I'll have some ready to go. I decided to make my own aged bricks out of stripwood again because I didn't feel like waiting for bricks to arrive by mail, I just wanted to dive in and make the floor. Making dozens and dozens of wooden bricks is very tedious and my back is starting to ache..... Not to mention that although I set the paint for them aside, for the 2nd batch I couln't find the paint I had set aside, so I figured I must have absentmindedly put the bottle of paint back in the drawer. The second batch came out a different shade, even though I was pretty sure it was the paint I'd used the 1st time. Obviously it wasn't the same color. Now I wonder where that 1st bottle of paint went. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sable said:

The entire mass is now stuck somewhere in the pipes under my house slab. ... I figure we’ve gotten about a quarter of the olives out in the past 4 hours.

Yukkk! Don't you just hate it when something like that happens?

Sable, good luck with the olives, doesn't sound like fun at all! We had a high temperature here today of 16 degrees Fahrenheit, was quite nice for a change... as odd as that sounds! lol

Jeanine, you're not speaking out of turn at all! As mentioned this was the first Christmas I can say both of my parents have been sober. It was a blessing, even if my dad chooses to be miserable. Weird as it is, that seems to be/always has been how he is happiest -- it's just when he chooses to use his negativity to bring everyone else down... that's when unfortunately it gets to me. As it is, I let him know I wasn't going to listen or put up with his basic bs and we've not spoken since Christmas. It's sad, but until he's done with his "lets pick on everyone" spiel -- there's just no point. As mentioned I have my dog, whom is quite simply one of the loveiest(new word there?!?), happiest pups I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. She's been by my side and we've been sorting through a number of items trying to figure out what to sort out and sell to make a bit more sense in our mini collection. I say "our" b/c she's quite convinced she's the miniature shop boss.  ;)

Anyways, I've been diligently working on finishing up my one dollhouse that has been sickeningly close to being finished for too long(really want to get it done before the New Year). It's helpful at least with these goals to keep from focusing on the craziness that is my family -- too often I can't stand 'em, but I'll always love them. lol

*Btw, other fun fact I've tended bar since I was 19 years old in college. Have had a number of folks in a few states say I was the best bartender they'd had. They never seemed to believe me when I would laugh and say it would always be my choice to surround myself with drunks in a bar than stay home with the alcoholics. I have my mom to thank for having been raised to look on the bright side of life, and while I was never a fan of their choice in living and focusing so much of their lives on alcohol... I'm also of the knowledge they lived the prime of their life in a different age that I won't, no matter how much I try, understand.

I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me, growing up with them and their way of life helped me to grow and be as strong a person as I am today. There is always something to be thankful for! This is actually something I've done now for several years on Facebook is to share my "thanks for the day" -- and it is truly amazing to me just how many have pm'd me or stated on my page how much it is they appreciate reading those simple statements... I've had both family members and friends alike whom suffer from depression and the like tell me that it is something simple to remind them there is always something to live for, and to not let the negativity of the world get to them. So again, odd as it is -- I'm grateful for having lived with and found a way to deal with the effects of the alcoholism of my parents!  <3

• Like 1

Finally, all of the olives are out of the drain pipe! We took a hose and flushed the pipe from the roof vent stack while other family members plugged up all of the sink drains causing enough pressure to blast those slimy, oily bugger bits out. I certainly learned my lesson.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sable said:

Finally, all of the olives are out of the drain pipe! We took a hose and flushed the pipe from the roof vent stack while other family members plugged up all of the sink drains causing enough pressure to blast those slimy, oily bugger bits out. I certainly learned my lesson.  

Hooray! My current household challenge is a mouse who doesn't seem to care for the peanut butter in either of the traps. 

For me the holidays are done.  After 20 years in AF, new years isn't a thing I partake in. (Always worked, so I could be off Christmas with the kids and let the single Airmen party).  Found out at my daughter's what/who "Groot" is.  And my daughter loves him.  So I jumped in and made a Groot figure with my newly acquired crochet skills (?).  Finished last night.  Picture on pinterest under crochet page.  He isn't perfect, but I'm happy with the little guy.  Now working on scarf for my son-in-Love.   They are moving to North Platte, NE. For his new job. (MRI tec)