What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Oh, Lawanda, I hope she doesn't get the same reaction to lobster I did when I discovered it in my early 20s.  Back then we went out to eat every few weeks I'd get lobster every time (yum, slurp).  After a few weeks I discovered I'd get sick as a dog around midnight of whatever night I'd eaten it, and haven't been able to eat it since.  Recently I had a similar experience with crawfish!  I can still eat crab & shrimp, thank God! or I'd have to curl up & die.

I drove to the border today to pick up stuff and it was weird. I left home to wet roads, the closer I got it got whiter and whiter, by the time I had covered the 20 or  so miles it was like being at the north pole apart from the road itself. Also there were no traffic lights, repair trucks everywhere, trees all over that had been  just pushed to the side of the road. I got to customs and crossed from Canada to the US and the roads hadn't been cleared at all, fortunately it was only a mile to my pick up place but when I got there I was about 10 car parking spaces  from the door. For about 6 feet or so into the road (which was flat but iced over,) It was about 5 inches deep but pure ice and all high bumps like the ocean, I walk with elbow crutches but was more scared with them so I went it alone, 2 inches at a time and I was petrified. I could feel my feet slipping off the bumps. I made it into the office .After I got all my stash one of the young women told me to stay in and she brought my car up to the door, then packed it, then came back for me and held on to me. I was so thankful. she was like an angel , God Bless her.

Next time I go I will phone first. I have never known such a difference in such a short distance before. The other thing was , on the Canadian side they had gritted the road very well and as I drove these tiny pebbles were flying up hitting the car, they sounded like a shower of bullets. Not a journey I want to do again. I can drive in snow and flat ice but clearly I should not be walking on it!!

The good part was I picked up 12  big parcels of mini stuff  .. ooh lots to coo coo over now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Hooray! My current household challenge is a mouse who doesn't seem to care for the peanut butter in either of the traps. 

I have it on good authority that mice love pieces of Snickers bars.  We have sent quite a few to their eternal rest with them.

6 hours ago, Sable said:

Finally, all of the olives are out of the drain pipe! We took a hose and flushed the pipe from the roof vent stack while other family members plugged up all of the sink drains causing enough pressure to blast those slimy, oily bugger bits out. I certainly learned my lesson.  

Hooray, I did that one year with pumpkin seeds.  Now almost everything goes in the trash.

On 12/28/2017, 5:35:37, Jeannine said:

You know Barb , I can see now how putting two Asters together might work nicely,I opened my box today and hadn't realized that it was side opening, I think I may just do that as I can't get my head around a side opening house, but fix it so two are side by side and closing the opening may be OK. Is that how you planned on doing it?

That is what I had in mind! I will have to see the pieces to know how to alter it, but I enjoy a challenge!  The chimney will be moved and that will be the front,  the bow windows will be on each end, but that may alter, I would like the door to be in the middle kind of separating a large open living area with kitchen/dining area on one side, and living area on the other.  Since I will end up with two chimneys maybe there will be two fireplaces.  

5 hours ago, KathieB said:

Hooray! My current household challenge is a mouse who doesn't seem to care for the peanut butter in either of the traps. 

I had to laugh at this, I live in a 200yo farm house with a rock cellar, which means mice are a constant problem, or they were until a couple of years ago.  I got several kittens about 3 years ago and decided to let the female have a batch of kittens, I always like to have at least 5-6 cats in the barn.  Well Calliope was such a sweet thing that she ended up being a house cat and had her first batch of kittens in a bed beside mine, I woke up in the evening after sleeping the day (worked 12 hour overnight shifts) and heard purring, put my hand down to pet Calliope and there were kittens!  After the kittens were weaned she developed Asthma so she ended up being a permanent house only cat due to the medication she needs.  She is the sweetest thing alive, so cuddly, never once in 3 years has she scratched me or had her claws out, as a kitten I picked her up out of a cage and cuddled her and she purred and reached up and patted my cheeks with both paws.  Besides the company and love she has also done what traps, poison and what ever else I could think of, she has kept the place virtually mouse free.  I used to catch them several a day, but now I have not seen one for 2 years or any sign of them.  When peanut-butter fails I used to use cheddar cheese, and when that fails I often used candy, snickers are good as someone mentioned.  Below is Calliope.

6DC55D6A-9D2E-4157-AEBA-74267A648FD6.JPG

7C49F775-80C2-4F2F-AFB9-E0A30313C3EF.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

• Like 1

Oh how lovely, truly lovely, it brought  joyful tears to my eyes, like when Lassie makes it home. She s a very pretty cat, what a treasure, you are blessed. You should submit those pictures to one of the calender companies

Kathie put sardines canned in oil in your traps, it works a treat, they will probably come for miles.

Barb..again... I am right  there with you on the Asters, I did wonder if there was suitable small  building that could be put between them that would bridge them together with the door placed in that. I am not clever enough to make one but I can see it in my mind. A few of  the old original English Tudor buildings where I used to live had them , sort of like a corridor between two similar buildings. one in my hometown had one that actually straddled a road with an arched opening below. Of course I am full of great ideas but not technically equipped to carry them  out. I intend mine  to be a fun build not technically too challenging and because it is fantasy it can be a bit out there.

I really am blessed with Calliope, she has been such company.  The first picture was such a look, I had built the plant stand and it was in place for a few weeks before the outside plants came in the house, I am sure she thought it was her place to lay in the sun, the look says it all, Mom why did you put these plants on my cat stand?  As you can see on one of the pictures she has the longest whiskers I have ever seen on a cat, I measured them one night when she was sitting on me, they are about 5", I took a whisker picture of her to show off her whiskers lol

Jeannine, you might find what you want to put in-between the two buildings in some of the Spring Fling many pieces.  I am eyeing the greenhouse to maybe put on an end with french doors but I am not sure if it is big enough, although modifying it to be wider may be easier then starting one from scratch.  The downhill ski shop has two side pieces that are bought separately, I thought about using those for my Christmas house but I think it would make a better Santa house then a family house.  I will know more of what I want to do when I get measurements that I need.

I fell in love with the needlepoint chairs that Janet Granger sells today, but not in the budget at this point!

I think we must be related.  just the day before yesterday I  was looking at Greenleafs shop at the little buildings  for just that purpose but nothing grabbed me so  I didn't buy one of the Spring Fling ones but I did buy  2 of the half greenhouses they had   because they were quite cheap on sale , the laser cut ones . I  thought about Joe's place., I also got a Primrose.  I had ordered some stuff from Miniatures.com on their customer appreciation day and wanted it to join to the Laurel that I had bought along with the second Aster. I think I may have all my bases covered now. I do have a DHE conservatory which is quite nice, and I keep wondering what to do with it. It is white so it might work at one end. I think the greenhouse you mean is that expensive one., I looked at it a few weeks ago and figured it was pricey especially as it was only a half.

Re the needlepoint. I bought one to do dining chair seats,  not the chairs, I have those, but just the seat kit. I was thinking I could make a full set  from the one pattern,but no names or numbers on the thread and only a very little amount so I couldn't do it unless I just used the chart and used my own threads.

This is the conservatory I have

new dollshouse 4.jpg

I am annoyed at myself for not ordering the greenhouse halves with the Aster, guess I will have to order the other Aster soon before the sale goes off on the greenhouses, alone the postage is almost $9, but with a house it would be free

The one I was looking at was not a big difference between the chair total or just the seat, not sure why.  But I really like the chairs, and there are so many other items in the same rose pattern, place mats, rugs, a tray, and a picture on a pole.  I really like the rose pattern.

Your conservatory looks neat, it would be a nice addition to a lot of houses.

Thanks everyone for all the compliments! Mike, that's a needlepoint rug. I believe it's 18 or 22 count so, that many stitches to the inch. It should measure about 5" x 7", roughly. I found that once I'd picked out the main design, that filling in the flowers and background went much quicker. This was a painted canvas I was working from, not a pattern, so it's only roughly symmetrical, which is fine. I've decided to work on an oval rug next. Also florals, but for a different future build. I also have some petit point kits, where the count is more like 45 or 60 stitches to the inch, but I'm definitely NOT ready to work on them just yet!

Kathie, I use crunchy peanut butter, since that's what we eat.  Perhaps your mice have jaded palettes?  Sardines in oil?  Reminds me of when my momma died and no one wanted her nasty little toy poodle.  When she brought him with her on a visit she cooked for him; chicken livers poached in butter alternating with ground sirloin!  (Raising three little boys, the darned dog ate better than we did!)  The children begged & begged and we kept the dog, but he took nearly a week to figure out that the kibbles in his bowl were his diet for the rest of his life.

Mice are the bane of my existence!  We had so many rodents when we first moved out to the country.  When they got into my car's ventilation system I decided enough was enough and we got some mousers right away.  I have a small army of farm cats now (mostly rescues) and they do an excellent job in addition to being adorable and fun to play with!  I still put traps in the garages just as a precaution though!

I hope you all don't mind me joining in the conversation.  I usually just lurk around on here, my new years resolution is to be less of a hermit this year though! 

• Like 1

Mice are the bane of my existence!  We had so many rodents when we first moved out to the country.  When they got into my car's ventilation system I decided enough was enough and we got some mousers right away.  I have a small army of farm cats now (mostly rescues) and they do an excellent job in addition to being adorable and fun to play with!  I still put traps in the garages just as a precaution though!

I hope you all don't mind me joining in the conversation.  I usually just lurk around on here, my new years resolution is to be less of a hermit this year though! 

• Like 1

I've been off work 2 weeks, and I go back next Monday. Finally everything is over, and I have 6 days to try and have a productive/enjoyable break. I had hoped to do some dollhousing, but not sure how much that will happen. I do need to go in and straighten up the craft room though. I made a mess pulling out things for the Gingerbread Buttercup.

I want to paint and stain the stairs going downstairs in my real house. And I would love to paint my house too. And there's a few other things that need to be done. Let's see how that works out for me!!

Hi Amber great to have you, I can relate to the  hermit thing, I am having to fight that a lot right now, it's not fun but going out isn't either I am not a hermit while typing though LOL

Holly, that poor dog, you made me laugh but the poor thing, did it get used to the kibble? I just cooked steaks for me and dinner guests but I also cooked one  for the babies, and a chicken beast  for them for tomorrow. They do have a kibble bowl, between them they maybe  eat 1/4 cup a week and it is Orijen, the best that can be bought...got to go. I promised I would make their cookies tonight.

• Like 1

I know I've been away from Greenleaf too long, when I have to log in again with my password, instead of it just opening up!  Our daughter and family paid the way for DH to go back to Nebraska for the holidays. Most of his extended family is there, and he hasn't seen them for about 2 years. His sister is in a nursing home and we've been concerned about her. I'm happy he could go, but that has really but a heavy load on me, taking care of Mother by myself. She is in Stage 4 Kidney Disease and requires more and more care. So I don't get much else done, besides keeping her company. We've been playing a lot of Parcheesi games, which we both enjoy. But I have had NO time for minis for over a month.  :(  

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everybody! 

I need to go grocery shopping....does anyone else hate grocery shopping? It is so true what they say about teenage boys. I know we are low on food when they empty a box of Ritz crackers and eat peanut butter by the spoonful!

• Like 1