What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

My friend NJ is here visiting from Missouri. Last night (Tuesday) we drove into downtown Atlanta to have dinner and see The Lion King with my niece and her significant other. I didn't feel up to late night driving in the big city, so I bought the play tickets and Jen and Jeff drove and bought dinner. We had a great time. As we left Atlanta  it began to sputter some snow, and by the time we got to the northern suburbs there was a mantle of while.

This morning all of central Georgia was shut down, I think. NJ and I ventured out at midday, thinking the snow would have melted by that time, to go see a movie, but discovered that the low temps had prevented any melt, the snow plows -- what snow plows?? -- hadn't done their thing, the snow had packed down to become ice, and the theater was closed -- as were most of the businesses along route 278. The only one that appeared to be open was Jim and Nick's BBQ. I white knuckled it back home, where we settled in for the afternoon. The good part of the adventure was that most folks heeded the incessant please of local weather guessers to stay home. We hadn't turned on the tv, and so were unaware.

Another night of temps in the teens, but will rise above the freezing level by noon. Hoping the roads clear in the afternoon, as we're planning at least dinner out and another show, Menopause the Musical. Local schools will be closed again tomorrow so the little ones don't have to stand at bus stops in a -10 wind chill.

Haha!! Welcome to Georgia Kathie!! :D

Yeah, no snow plows here...

Roads were really bad on this side of town this afternoon as well. I'm also hoping that everything will melt tomorrow, and stay melted. Brennen decided tonight that he's going to come home tomorrow, but he won't arrive home until 7pm, so that's an hour of nighttime driving.

Schools are also closed here, so that means we are all home too. We're taking Brennen on a college visit Friday, so that means only one day of work this week, but at least I got some mini time in!

Be safe driving tomorrow Kathie!

5 hours ago, Gayle said:

We had 3-4 inches of snow today.  Schools closed tomorrow too.  I'm tired of winter.

Barb, where did you find the tiny knitting needles?

I am tired of winter but unfortunately it is still going to be here for another 3 1/2 months :(

The knitting needles were just a side thing, I was really looking at dolls.  I spend months looking for the tiny needles and never found any, searched ebay several times, but not with the right words I guess.  The store is here , I see this week she has some tiny sets of 4 double pointed needles, I am tempted, good price if I was buying something else to combine postage, but not on their own.  Sells sets and individual needles, I felt for the price the set was a better deal because of the cable needle, all the very tiny ones I didn't have, and my knitting gauge doesn't measure so tiny

We stayed tucked in all day yesterday, heeding the weather folks and local law enforcement.  DH has a 0800 appointment today with the skin doctor to check on his suspicious spots, which means leaving before 0700 to get across the Styx River and Pensacola safely.  With apologies to everyone out there who likes winter, y'all can have it!

Lawanda, temps are forecast to go into the low 70s by Sunday (at last!!!); we're skipping this month's Gallery Night because today's high will be barely into the 50s, and I caught a cold at last month's wearing three layers and temps in the high 40s.

• Like 1

Holly, I don’t know if the Norton Museum was in Palm Beach when you lived here but I went to a Dollhouse Symposium there last night.   Two of our club members gave a discussion about scale, materials used and the gratification they get from being miniaturists. They had brought in many of their room boxes for display. It was interesting listening to the comments made by the attendees. I really enjoyed it.  Afterward, I just had to drive by Mar-a-Lago (the winter White House) to see what I could see.  I only saw one Palm Beach police car but I’m sure my car was photographed, scanned and throughly checked out as we passed the estate. 

When I was a very little girl my mother signed me up for a summer children's art class at the Norton Art Gallery; I got to attend one session, then she found out the cost was per lesson, not for the entire class, and that was the end of that.

• Like 1

Today NJ and I ventured out to the Southeastern Quilt and Fabric Museum in Carrollton, Georgia. It was a pretty ride under clear blue skies. A fair amount of snow left in shaded areas, but the roads were clear. The museum is small but well done. Then NJ packed up 3 boxes to ship home --- one with fabric my sister the quilter is donating to NJ's guild for gift quilts and two with clothes from her suitcase to lighten the load for the trip home. She always brings about 4 times more than she needs, claiming she needs options. Ha. I think her age is catching up to her. Dragging her 30-pound carry-on through the airport just about did her in, and wrangling her 50-pound suitcase didn't help. If I have more than a carry-on's worth of clothes for a trip, I feel way overpacked.

After we hit the UPS store, we visited a nursery and got a nice plant and pot for my bedroom. There is one window that was crying out for greenery. 

Tomorrow we're heading to Lawrenceville and the Miniature Designs shop to meet sparklepuppies. :) The week is flying by!

• Like 1

Yay!! I can't wait!! I get to see KathieB, meet NJ, and shop for minis!!

Holly, I'll send a hug back!

Today we traveled southeast to Statesboro, Ga to take Brennen to visit a new college. When he was picking colleges last year, he had not decided on a major. And unfortunately, the school he picked only offers the "pre" version of the major he chose. He has it narrowed to two schools. We'll visit the other next Friday. I'm torn on to which I'd like him to choose. The one today is so far away (3 hours) and interstate travel is the best way to get there. Highways only adds an hour to the trip. He's never driven on the interstate before, and I cringe at the thought of him driving that far. His current school is a little over 2 hours away via only one highway. We liked the school fine, but the best part is that his 3 friends from high school go there, and they are in need of a fourth roommate. He doesn't go anywhere with or talk to anyone at his school now. Not even his roommate. So this one fact almost decides everything. After our tour, he hung out with them a couple hours, and that was awesome. 

The other school is just an hour away, on the other side of Atlanta. It has the second largest engineering program in Ga, so school-wise, I kinda like that one. Plus, his "not a girlfriend" is probably going there, so he will know someone there. But I still like the idea of him rooming with the guys.

Our experience today was similar to Kathie's, snow on the roadsides, but roads fine, although a small side road we take to the interstate had about 4 very large icy patches. I was surprised though at how far south the snow went. We were a good ways past Macon before I stopped seeing any. It snowed even further south than that (Brennen got some in southwest Ga), but that was a few days ago now, and it melted quicker.

I cleaned out my backyard shed today. I once had an idea to turn it into a craft room, but after today and the spiders & lizards & wasp nests & mouse poop.. that is definitely not happening. It was so gross:puke: in there I'll be taking a good portion of the contents to the tip tomorrow. After moving everything out, hosed it out and when it's dry I'm going to let off a bug bomb in there just to make sure there is nothing left living.

Seeing as it won't be a craft room, now that it's cleaned out I'm going to move the bed frame and mattress that are propped up on the wall in the "used to be a bedroom" craft room out there to make more room in the craft room, which was the intent with the original idea anyway. I think I'm going to shrink wrap the mattress and then wrap it in a tarp.. because I don't want that shed nastyness on it in a few years time.:noway:

3 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Room booked, pack later today.  And just WHY am I still awake at 4AM?????

I often can't sleep the night before a trip or an appointment.  I didn't used to have the problem, so I blame it on age.

• Like 1

Feeling a bit annoyed with a sellers response over an item I purchased on EBay. It is a wonderful set of stairs that is for My MIL,  it Arrived yesterday and one of the top posts (newel?) came broken in halves. I wrote to the seller about that and the response I got " it is a housework post, Hope that helps?" 

No, it Doesn't help the least as over here housework items aren't very readily avaliable at all. <grumble> and I find such a response pretty so I did in fact respond to the seller tellig him that it didn't help the least..

oh well, Will simmer down for a while over theweekend deciding what I can do about it. Venting over 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, does the idiot seller even realize that Sweden is on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean from Houseworks?

He is well aware of it as the latest response from him was apprx it would be expensive for me to ship it back to him to have it mended and could I send pics...

I sent pics and responded:

"As you Said, with me overseas and shipping involved with that as well and then your suggestion of me purchasing more items to mend the staircaise to make it complete, well, for me that is poor customer Service to be honest".
I am attaching pics of me unpacking and how it Looks like, but by the sound of your former mail I understand that I need to fix it myself
5 hours ago, Beulah said:

Post a photo of what you need to see if any of us have one we could send to you.

That is so sweet of you!  i Will dig around the Box if wooden pieces first though, just a bit annoyed with the tone in the answers from the seller. Sort of the shoulder shrug and "eh"... for a $55 purchase along with a global shipping it wasn't on the cheap side either.large.IMG_1044.JPG.86aacb6481930d2ff87e6large.IMG_1043.JPG.eec7e40cd6cf2609ab393large.IMG_1042.JPG.e4c4374c03547a89a4dbd

• Like 1

I was excited to get some kits I ordered from Janet Granger Designs today, the size of the chair legs in the kit is enlightening, I was thinking way too big on the legs I was fooling around with.  I got 4 of the dining room chairs with the summer roses seat kit.  I also ordered the placemats and a rug kit, excited to start them!  

• Like 1

Just now, Goldenrodfarm said:

I was excited to get some kits I ordered from Janet Granger Designs today, the size of the chair legs in the kit is enlightening, I was thinking way too big on the legs I was fooling around with.  I got 4 of the dining room chairs with the summer roses seat kit.  I also ordered the placemats and a rug kit, excited to start them!  

Now thisI look forward to seeing and follow along with! Been Gawking over some of her kits for a while Now