What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I just witnessed an amazing site. Firstly this is not meant to be political, just an amazing experience. An F-22 fighter jet was just over my house with hot red engines flaring to warn a small single engine plane that he had just done a no-no by flying into the President’s Palm Beach airspace.  What was amazing about it was to watch a jet stop in midair and hover just next to the smaller plane. Boy those engines were red hot and noisy!  I thought I had videoed the entire episode but unfortunately, I hit the wrong button.

I was also thinking a Harrier, since that's mostly what the USMC flies, and I would expect them to enforce the President's air space security (and I don't think discussing the security measures in our country is political).

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I was also thinking a Harrier, since that's mostly what the USMC flies, and I would expect them to enforce the President's air space security (and I don't think discussing the security measures in our country is political).

Some witnesses believe that it was an F-22.   Holly, you’d be surprised on Nextdoor (a neighborhood social site) how many people have turned a grownup discussion about this amazing site into a childish political argument. I refuse to look at it any further. 

2 hours ago, Sable said:

...Holly, you’d be surprised on Nextdoor (a neighborhood social site) how many people have turned a grownup discussion about this amazing site into a childish political argument. I refuse to look at it any further. 

Not much surprises me these days.  One of the reasons I LOVE this forum is that we do NOT discuss emotionally charged subjects.  I didn't know F22s could stop & hover, but I think F35s can come awfully close to doing so.  One of the things I love about living so close to Pensacola is being able to hop over to the NAS whenever the Blue Angels perform.  To me the roar of a military jet engine is the sound of freedom.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Not much surprises me these days.  One of the reasons I LOVE this forum is that we do NOT discuss emotionally charged subjects.  I didn't know F22s could stop & hover, but I think F35s can come awfully close to doing so.  One of the things I love about living so close to Pensacola is being able to hop over to the NAS whenever the Blue Angels perform.  To me the roar of a military jet engine is the sound of freedom.

Actually, the F-22 cannot hover.  The new F-35, can.  it has a weird, over-under door configuration just behind the cockpit.  At the front of the actual jet engine, there's a drive shaft that connects to a horizontally placed turbofan that forces air down under the plane through fuselage when the doors are open, while the after-burner turns 90 degrees down.  A lot of moving parts that some pilots have voiced concerns over, but so far, it seems to work.

I would not want to be the pilot in the small plane, that would be enough to make you crash, was probably lost anyway!  

I did barn work today again, and that lovely little witch Juniper slammed me into the wire fence that keeps her calf in with her and my knee was slammed into the wire right below the kneecap.  Sitting here with ice on my knee, burr!

23 minutes ago, Sable said:

Here’s a grainy photo of it. Some said it didn’t hover, just stopped and turned on a dime and sort of hung out for a bit with the flaming engines all fired up. 

6E410702-EFFC-4BAD-8AB9-57219B1BD4F5.jpeg

Looks like the F35 to me...

• Like 1

On my annual retreat in Vero Beach. This is when I runaway from home and veg out for a few weeks. Usually with healthy goals never achieved. Brought the bike, the excercise barre, hiking shoes, yoga clothing. I’ll let you know if any of it gets used. Also brought all the trim to be prepped and painted for the White House. That will get done. 

• Like 4

The last time we camped at Jonathan Dickenson we checked out the state nature center up the road and hiked the grounds.  I think parts of Jonathan Dickenson are hikeable, we rode our bikes when we were there, although the pavement is deteriorating and I don't know if anything has been done to repair it for cyclists.

I thought I would share what’s been taking over my life lately. My cosplay friend asked me to update his Kylo Ren tunic to be The Last Jedi version. I used a medieval doublet pattern to make this. It’s matte satin that I quilted horizontally by couching crochet thread. I then ran vertical lines of crochet thread under the horizontals by hand so they would be spaced correctly and just lay on top of the fabric rather than be quilted because that’s how it is in the Vanity Fair costume close up photoshoot. Not super happy with the neck but it will be more comfortable than a stiff one. He should get it Tuesday so fingers crossed it fits!

Now I can have a clean house again!

40215944991_4f63a79a61_b.jpg

40183471862_11d46fe627_b.jpg

• Like 4