What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I'm with you, Tracy. I wouldn't want to buy a new car, because none of them are designed for large plus sized people. My 13 year old Buick is just right for me, since my mechanic fixed the seat so it can't be moved forward by anyone who works on it. It was a big hassle the last time someone adjusted the seat, since they basically have to remove the whole thing to readjust the position. Plus, it's not like I put tons of miles on it. I just passed 70,000 and when I bought it used, it only had 42,000. The other weird thing about it is the battery location. They access it from the backseat, I think, so it's not easy to give it a jump. Last time I had it towed to their shop before they could replace it.

Tracy, I feel your pain!  Having to replace MY PT Cruiser about killed me, but it had too many miles and all the replacement parts were wearing out again (I used that little green baby for EVERYTHING!).I like the Explorer DH got us, but it's so BIG!

I’ve been spending the last few days looking at downtown Ft Lauderdale high rise apartments and condos with my son. Of course the ones with the fabulous views and every amenity known to man are out of his price range. He’s really going to have to lower his expectations and he’s going to have to do it soon as mama will only give him his old bedroom for just a few more weeks.

I have been working on my first crochet bed cover for daughter's birthday.  Wow, it takes forever.  It's for her RV.  I'm at 46 " and it needs to be 60".      My hands hurt.  So what did I do while resting my hands......bought another dollhouse off eBay.   Lol.  The bed c over will be on pinterest 

Had appointments with 2 doctors today..short story, I need some surgery, they are going for about 6 weeks wait. I absolutely hate the idea but I have no choice on this one.

So need to make a go bag that will keep me occupied in there for about 5 days.Any ideas for good books anyone?

At  least I got a treat on the way home, I bought live crab, sushi and strawberry eclairs.

Oh and my own  doctor has suggested I think  about taking medical marijuana for pain.

Mini wise, I  started on my caravan kit before I went out , I am just doing the fixture that holds the stove but I enjoyed doing it.

Interesting day

8 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Interesting day

Definitely an understatement! Sorry to hear about the surgery, but envious of the live crab. :D 

Necessary surgeries are one of those things that have to be endured, and a major nuisance.  Even when they are "outpatient" procedures (like my cardiac pacer replacement) it shoots the whole day.  I am presently reading Kate Jacobs' Knit the Season, having recently finished her The Friday Night Knitting Club.  I have my eye out for two others she wrote, Knit Two and Comfort Food.  I also highly recommend books by Jan Karon.

1 minute ago, KathieB said:

Definitely an understatement! Sorry to hear about the surgery, but envious of the live crab. :D 

Live crab's OK, I'm more for the sushi and eclairs!

Thank you for your good wishes etc. I go through periods when I read and then don't so I am way out of touch with what is out there. I don't think I have too many preferences about topics in novels although I do like non fiction and good biographies. I like historical stuff, about actual events or people. eg I read the biography of Sir Bernard Spilsbury who was a forensic pathologist at the turn of last century and I found that fascinating, and compared to modern day procedures quite astonishing.

I am not at all familiar with Jan Caron.

For  popular novels I did like  most of the John Grishams  which are an easy read and all I liked all the Leon Uris books which are a bit heavier but most do have some historical truth in them. I did not ever like Agatha Christie books but other mysteries may be good. I also like many of the classics.

I have a library of books on slavery which I have studied since I was a child but they are a bit heavy going for my coming purpose, however I would be most interested in any I don't know about.

All ideas very welcome, I have a few weeks to get ready.

They are saying I will be in five days but if my usual history repeats itself it could be a few days longer. I have one worry. My age is such that the nosey hospital social workers may come buzzing around and I am a bit nervous about that. I don't walk  well and after this surgery it will be less so I have to have a real good story ready as I am a bit more than scared they may try to keep me longer still..

PS, I have a Kindle which I could use but just fond something I didn't know. There is an Amazon Audible system too , does anyone have any experience with it please

Home from Orlando....still need to put away all of my little treasures from Ron's and finish all of our laundry! ugh.  Survived the Nor'Easter today.  Didn't amount to anything like the 12" they were predicting (thank goodness!)  AND...best of all, I am doing the HAPPY DANCE because I have finally been cleared to get back on my prescription of Lyrica!! :cucumber:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

PS, I have a Kindle which I could use but just fond something I didn't know. There is an Amazon Audible system too , does anyone have any experience with it please

I used to use my Kindle to listen to books while working on minis in my basement workshop. It worked especially well when I figured out how to control the volume. :D  I'd rather listen to someone spin a yarn than listen to music. These were books that had the sound option included. I've noticed that one can now pay extra to listen; I haven't had a need to try it.

Jeannine, I'm.so sorry to hear about your surgery. I hope everything goes well and recovery is quick.

Jackie, I'm glad you're hime safely, and with goodies from Ron's!

We got the news today that they are going to be able to fix Brennen's car, woohoo! That will keep it going for a while longer, then we can plan better for the car buying. I didn't really want to do that in a hurry. He will be able to pick it up Saturday, and at that point he'll have gone two full weeks with no transportation. Lucky for him, next week is spring break, so he'll be able to drive himself home, and be able to go places next week.

We are having a surprise baby shower Friday for a co-worker, so tonight I'm making 3 dozen cupcakes, then tomorrow night I'll make the frosting and decorate them. Or at least spread some frosting on. 

Jeannine, I just posted this bit in the weather section, since it's about books I'll copy it here in case you're interested.

I selected some Gothic style mysteries by Mary Stewart. I recall I read some of her books back in high school. They were only 1.99 each in the Amazon kindle store, so how could I pass that up? I also got another mystery by George Bellairs, a 1940's British writer. I read 5 of them this month and enjoyed them.

Simon Brett's Mrs.Pargeter series is fun, also just about anything by Janet Evanovich, and Joan Hess's Maggody series. Mary Roberts Reinhart's mysteries make good reading. I recently read the 3 Inspector Hobbes books by Wilkie Martin. They're somewhat paranormal and may not be to everyone's taste, but I enjoyed them. M C Beaton's Agatha Raisin series is fun. Bill Crider's Sheriff Dan Rhodes series are set in Texas, mysteries with a healthy touch of humor.. Charlotte MacLeod writing as Alisa Craig wrote the Madoc and Janet Rhys mesteries set in rural Canada. I think it was Nova Scotia, but it's been some years since I read them. Her name just popped into my head.. I guess you can tell I've always been a heavy reader.

Before I forget, Deborah Cadbury's Queen Victoria's Matchmaking was good too. I found the stoey of some of her graddaughters quite sad, though. At day's Close - Night in Times Past , by Roger Ekirch was long, but facsinating - I know I just spelled that wrong.

I've downloaded all of the above and much more for Kindle.

Have a nice recovery period. :doctor::cheezy::wave:

So I instead made 4 dozen cupcakes... And then started knitting a baby hat. I'm hoping to also get a swaddle blanket knitted before Friday as well.

And remember I still have to decorate 4 dozen cupcakes tomorrow night. I'm not sure why I do things like this.

Yesterday I ventured out to Home Depot and bought the components for some adjustable wall shelving for the craft room. They will display the furniture and accessories I've accumulated. I've GOT to get organized! Hope to get them installed today. <...looking around for drill bits...> If I'd finish organizing the garage workspace, I'd probably know where they are. 

• Like 1

Jeannine, I too hope your unexpected surgery goes well. Being stuck in bed is no fun. I always find myself gravitating towards self help books about organizing, historical biographies or cooking tomes. Im not sure any of those would be of interest. I did love Julia Child’s autobiogrpahy. I also would like to read the newest biography about Coco Chanel. Apparently it has some very interesting tidbits!

I called in sick today. Just too exhausted to think. The realtor comes today for her first walk through and I wanted the house to be on point so Ive been quite harried trying to get it all done. Josh and Maya were dealing with major jet lag and then Josh got sick so they were both pretty useless on that front. Add to that having to drive all the way to Kentucky and back in one weekend on Josh’s behalf for his grandfather’s funeral (they couldnt make it back from Vietnam in time), someone havking our bank account, and it being crazy at work... Im just day old, dried up toast at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

Jeannine, I too hope your unexpected surgery goes well. Being stuck in bed is no fun. I always find myself gravitating towards self help books about organizing, historical biographies or cooking tomes. Im not sure any of those would be of interest. I did love Julia Child’s autobiogrpahy. I also would like to read the newest biography about Coco Chanel. Apparently it has some very interesting tidbits!

I called in sick today. Just too exhausted to think. The realtor comes today for her first walk through and I wanted the house to be on point so Ive been quite harried trying to get it all done. Josh and Maya were dealing with major jet lag and then Josh got sick so they were both pretty useless on that front. Add to that having to drive all the way to Kentucky and back in one weekend on Josh’s behalf for his grandfather’s funeral (they couldnt make it back from Vietnam in time), someone havking our bank account, and it being crazy at work... Im just day old, dried up toast at this point.

Yikes! That's a lot. Sometimes we need these mental health days. Sorry to hear about Josh's grandfather. 

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

I'd have collapsed long ago!  Good for you for taking a day to recover.