What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

4 hours ago, WestPaces said:

Sorry Sable I wasn't laughing at your aborted sleepout, just the way you said it sounded totally deadpan :)

It was meant to be comical. Deadpan is a perfect description of my sometimes dry humor.

9 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

St louis, MO?  Wouldn't be my first choice.  However just across the river is belleville,  Illinois.   Lots of open land there., and west of St. Louis.   Still close to the city without the crime.

Anything around the outskirts of St. Louis is fine. I just want to be within a 20-30 minute drive in. If I'm training a dog, that will be a weekly or twice weekly class, so in the event that gas goes sky high again, I want that drive to be as short as possible.

Kelly, I just read your post re moving close to the border. I know Blaine very well, we used to have property there. It is the closest crossing to the sea that goes over over the border and has a lot of holiday properties there which may put the price up.. I cross at one a bit further inland called Sumas and the small town there many of the bigger shops are closing and it is becoming smaller all the time.I guess there is very little work there, however that may mean the properties are cheaper too. It may be worth a look. If you want to cross over the waiting time there is much less than the other crossings too which is a consideration. There is a dog training club quite close to the border too without going right into Vancouver, I am not sure if it is Abbotsford or Aldergrove but it is run by someone I knew years ago and I know it still on the go.

Vancouver is supposed to be one of the highest for property prices in the world  and it is gradually encroaching on the surrounding areas. So far it seems to be the closet to the border is the cheapest, so perhaps just the other side may be a viable option for you.

Holly just before  we moved back to Canada after our 8 years back in the UK we slept on a blow up after everything else was sold or shipped.  I found the smell vanished after a few days and I found it very comfortable. It was 2 feet high and flocked, I loved it. I have a bad latex allergy but the plastic didn't seem to bother me.

On our last trip to a thrift store we found a Cuisinart rice cooker (steamer) for less than $5, so of course we got it.  I used it to steam brussels sprouts for supper tonight and they were superb!  The only things missing were a rice paddle (like we don't have several already) and its measuring cup (ditto).  I really enjoy playing with new toys!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

On our last trip to a thrift store we found a Cuisinart rice cooker (steamer) for less than $5, so of course we got it.  I used it to steam brussels sprouts for supper tonight and they were superb!  The only things missing were a rice paddle (like we don't have several already) and its measuring cup (ditto).  I really enjoy playing with new toys!

Rice cookers are good for cooking oatmeal too.

30 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

On our last trip to a thrift store we found a Cuisinart rice cooker (steamer) for less than $5, so of course we got it.  I used it to steam brussels sprouts for supper tonight and they were superb! 

1 minute ago, Mid-life madness said:

Rice cookers are good for cooking oatmeal too.

I am laughing out loud. I have a Cuisinart rice cooker that I'm putting in the yard sale. Every time I tried to cook rice in it, the darned thing overflowed, despite following instructions to the letter. I now use a cheap rice cooker that works in the microwave -- perfect rice every time, no muss, no fuss.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I don't use it for rice, but for steaming other food.  I cook rice in a skillet.

I don't fry rice all that often. I prefer it steamed.

I don't fry it.  I toss it with a wee bit of oil and a pinch of salt to flavor it (sometimes I pop a few aromatic seeds in first), add water, give it a swirl and cover with a nice, tight lid and ten minutes later it's fluffy, tender and done.  Not fried.

On 4/29/2018, 7:03:00, KathieB said:

Today will be spent sorting and pricing stuff for next Saturday's community yard sale. Since I pretty much shed the excess when I moved last fall, most of the contents  are from my sister's clearing out of her attic. Hundreds of stems of silk flowers are a challenge. I think I'll tie them in bundles of three and put up a sign that says 3/$1 (that's 3 stems, not 3 bundles of 3 stems) instead of trying to mark each bundle. There are several nice wreaths that I think will all go for $3 each. 

More sorting and pricing today. My niece recently bought a cabin in the Georgia mountains that came fully furnished. She has contributed two large tubs of a whole variety of stuff that will add some depth to our "boutique".  I sorted out the silk flower stems and pitched the ones that were really ragged. In most cases there were two of each kind. I tied the two together and will price at $1 each bundle. Am thinking of pricing wreaths at $5 instead of $3. Can always drop the price if folks balk. The weather is supposed to be lovely, but we've figured out how to arrange everything inside the garage if it should rain.

• Like 1

My pacer has been showing an "artifact" on one of the leads and back in January when I saw my cardiologist he said he was going to have me come in more often and consider how to fix/ replace the funky lead if it didn't clear up or got worse.  Monday of last week I had  my regular device check and three days later I got a call to make an appointment to have the doctor's PA see me.  That's this AM, so I think afterwards I'll go to the barbershop & get a haircut.

Kathie, the weather here was supposed to be lovely until the weekend, but by golly, there's a red cast to the eastern sky this AM!

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

My pacer has been showing an "artifact" on one of the leads and back in January when I saw my cardiologist he said he was going to have me come in more often and consider how to fix/ replace the funky lead if it didn't clear up or got worse.  Monday of last week I had  my regular device check and three days later I got a call to make an appointment to have the doctor's PA see me.  That's this AM, so I think afterwards I'll go to the barbershop & get a haircut.

Kathie, the weather here was supposed to be lovely until the weekend, but by golly, there's a red cast to the eastern sky this AM!

Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly with the pacer, Holly.

:hmm: Pink in the morning, sailors take warning!  There is a chance of rain forecast for Sunday. If the system moves faster than expected ... nahh, won't even consider it.

I'm watching 4 little foxes playing in my back yard. They're very cute.

A few weeks ago I started collecting dishes to complete the set for 4 I inherited from my mom. I got carried away and now have a set for 8, including berry bowls. I'd found an ebay seller who had a partial set that included a lot of cups and saucers, so I ordered them, plus 2 more soup plates from another seller, intending to wind up with a service for 6. Unfortunately a few days later she apologized and said she'd forgotten that she'd already sold all the cups and saucers, meanwhile, the other seller had already mailed me the 2 soup plates. After that I just had to keep ordering plates till I had a rounded up number of place settings. 

I'm going to start spraying the house for carpenter ants this morning. I'd called 3 exterminator companies for quotes and when I repeated them to DH he flipped out and said they were crazy. Instead I ordered a good quality battery operated chemical sprayer and pesticide and will do the job myself. I'd been doing the spraying myself for the past 20 years anyway, using the stuff I bought at the hardware stoe. This setup should be easier to work with. 

Amazon offered me a free trial of Prime again last week, so, in the mood to compensate myself for having to spray the house for ants (A job I've always hated), I ordered an assortment of things I'd had on my wish list for months, plus a bit of this and that I can't find locally. Actually, there's a whole lot of stuff I can't find locally.

My son finally started his new job this week. It's his old job, but with a new company. Well, it's not really a new company, it's the company his old company merged with, but he's now an employee of the other company. He makes 50 cents an hour less, but he doesn't have to drive all over 3 states, just to Walmarts in southern Maine and 2 in Portsmouth, NH. Today's his first day out in the stores, our local Walmart being one of them. Yesterday he asked me if I was going to Walmart today, so nice mother that I am I went last night so as not to embarass him in front of his new boss by doing something motherly like saying hi. He appreciated that.

P0000019828S0001T2.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, KathieB said:

:hmm: Pink in the morning, sailors take warning!  There is a chance of rain forecast for Sunday. If the system moves faster than expected ... nahh, won't even consider it.

In the UK we also say 'red sky at night - shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning - shepherd's warning'

40 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

In the UK we also say 'red sky at night - shepherd's delight. Red sky in the morning - shepherd's warning'

I always heard it as "Red sky at morning, sailors' take warning. Red sky at night, sailors' delight"

47 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

It was my cousin who lived in Birmingham, England, most of her life who told me the pink in the morning, sailors take warning version. Also something about it being a nice day if there is enough blue sky visible to make a Dutchman's britches. I don't recall the details of that one. At any rate, I'm thinking there must be all kinds of regional versions that all agree about red/pink at night being a good thing and in the morning not so much.

50 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

4 days to go and I'm OUT OF HERE!

I'm going to have to do a garage sale in Mississippi.   Not excited about that. 

Safe travels, Lawanda! 

Having a yard sale will be a good opportunity to meet the neighbors. :) 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Part that hurts is having to sell my new gas stove.  I really don't like cooking with electric.   Whole subdivision is electric.   Yuck

When I moved, I had to give up my glass top electric for a gas stove. Having to switch was annoying, as I knew the heat levels of every burner by heart, but I soon got into the rhythm of gas. You will, too. :)  (Soon = a few months)

Lawanda, I also hated leaving my little gas stove in Havana.  I do NOT like the glass-top electric stoves, and I do NOT want to reach over the burners (and whatever is cooking on them) to reach the controls, so the old GE electric range we found at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore served us faithfully until this year.  Meanwhile I went online shortly after we got the old stove and after nearly a year's searching online I found an electric stove with discrete burners and controls on the front; so when the old one began to get unreliable I was all set with the specs to get the new one.  It also turned out to cost a whole lot less than the glass-topped stoves with their controls on the back.  Go figure.

Meanwhile, this AM's appointment was quite informative.  What they originally thought was a possible problem with my pacemaker turned out to be episodic atrial fibrillation, with one episode occurring in my sleep that lasted five hours!  So I now have a pretty new scrip plus two weeks' sample bottles of blood thinner to take from now on.  Getting old isn't as much fun as I'd originally hoped.

52 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Meanwhile, this AM's appointment was quite informative. 

Darn, Holly, that's the pits. Hope you get it under control asap!!