What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

On 4/29/2018, 3:53:42, Thimble Hall said:

Kelly, I just read your post re moving close to the border. I know Blaine very well, we used to have property there. It is the closest crossing to the sea that goes over over the border and has a lot of holiday properties there which may put the price up.. I cross at one a bit further inland called Sumas and the small town there many of the bigger shops are closing and it is becoming smaller all the time.I guess there is very little work there, however that may mean the properties are cheaper too. It may be worth a look. If you want to cross over the waiting time there is much less than the other crossings too which is a consideration. There is a dog training club quite close to the border too without going right into Vancouver, I am not sure if it is Abbotsford or Aldergrove but it is run by someone I knew years ago and I know it still on the go.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that. So far I haven't seen very many properties for sale at all near the Canadian border, but I've only been looking at one site.

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Darn, Holly, that's the pits. Hope you get it under control asap!!

And every time Holly posts, I see her in my mind as a young person, same as everyone else here. I don't picture anyone on this site as being over 30, so every now and then when someone posts a pic of themselves, I get shocked all over again.

I was going to comment on the rice - I use Uncle Ben's Boil-in-the-Bag rice or Rice-a-Roni. I can get those two to work for me.

• Like 1

The hubs & I have always eaten rice since the university.  When he was stationed in HI during his tour with the USMC we discovered that there are varieties of rice, and when we lived near Tallahassee we finally had access to Asian grocery stores where we could buy them.  Our two favorites are jasmine and basmati rice; both varieties are grown in Arkansas & Texas,but we have to go to one of our Asian grocery stores to buy the 20-pound bags we go through.

One of the things that came out in today's discussion about going on a blood thinner was my age.  Kelly, honey, I haven't been 30 since 1972.

I know I’m being terribly redundant but I guess I’m looking for sympathy. I’m all set for my month of May real life floor replacement nightmare:

1-Plumber to remove water heater, toilet, bath sink, disposal and kitchen plumbing

2-Countertop removal

3-Kitchen cabinet removal

4-Movers to move all furniture to storage

5-Floor removal and slab grinding

6-New floor installers

7-Kitchen cabinets reinstalled

8-Countertop reinstalled

9-Plumber to reinstall water heater, bath fixtures and kitchen.

10-Movers to move it all back again. (probably not before Memorial Day)

Hey Holly, I was 30 in 1972 too, born in 42 of course..it was a damn good year!!

I love most rices, and use about 5 depending on what I am cooking. Mostly it is Basmati but I do use a Jasmine for a few things, I also use an Arborio for risotto ,a  Kokyo Rose for sushi and a pudding rice I have sent from the UK for sweet rice pudding. I sed to use a good wild rice but it is hard to find now. I hate brown rice.

Sable I truly sympathise for your building woes, for me they never seem to end when the builders promise and it is one of the few things that angers me so good luck and I hope yur new stuff makes up for all the hassle.

I just noticed it is the first of May..time for me to start packing a go bag soon.

I am scheduled for some surgery on the 23rd of this month. I am told I may be in about 5 or 6 days so I have to gather enough stuff in  my go bag to stop me going nuts. I don't eat hospital food so there is problem number 1.  Hopefully once I can walk again I will go to the staff cafeteria and be able to pick up a few things,.

My veins are usually a problem and I prefer my IV in the back of my hand rather than the cook of my elbow, then I can use my arm better but I usually have to fight to get it, problem number 2.. I can't knit or sew with it in the elbow.

I refused to go to the hospital here in town and am going one city over which coincidentally is also where my Dr lives so he can see me there which is good because he  has no visiting rights at the one here. However it is  harder for my daughter to get food to me, problem number 3.

I have been forewarned it is very unlikey I will be able to get a single room and I hate sharing as I hear every sound so get no sleep at all.. problem number 4. I always seem to get in a room with someone who is always ringing the bell for help and I end up fetching and carrying for them.

They have already agreed to a spinal block as I refuse general anesthetic but until that is done I worry they may change their mind and  then I will leave without the surgery,problem number 5

If I have to share a room, I refuse to share with a man which always causes a problem and it happens regularly here..problem number 6

My biggest problem and my only fear as that because I am 75, they tend to treat everyone as incontinent morons who have no idea of their own health..hello I do!! If they send a social worker tome , which is the thin end of the wedge, or offer me a diaper, I can get a tad sarcastic..oh bad girl.

So with all of the above I am trying to stay as positive as I can. I am actually a good patient but I do have my few quirks.

So for my go bag,, I need a  couple of good books, probably biographies, one to read while I am waiting and one to read while in the OR during the surgery.. I am a very fast reader so I could get through one in the waiting area. I thought the biography of  John Nash may be interesting. I have nevr read  The Amistad Rebellion which is odd as I have a good library on this subject and have a couple of books by the same author Marcus Rediker, in fact I do belive I have his one called The Slave Ship which I bought when sitting by a sick bed and never got past chapter 3  or 4. I would like to read again The Biography of Sir Bernard Splisbury, the British pathologist from the last century.. that is if I can find it again.

I like biographies about people from history especially if connected to medical  or scientific achievements or those that were of folks who fought for human rights., not stars and celebs, so any ideas would be appreciated. I have never read the biography of Martin Luther King and I think that woud be very interesting..

I have to find packable food I can take with me, and my own china cup so I can make my own tea and I will be fine.

I wish I could just say no to tis like I usually do,, but this has to be done..ggrhh.

Ideas in books or other time passers would be appreciated.

So, about that rice.... I usually use a bit of oil, some onions when I make a curried rice, heat that up, throw in the rice until it turns glossy and then either add the water or vegetable broth, bring it to a short boil. Take the pot off the stove, wrap it in newspaper (with a lid on....... hahaha), stick it on my couch and insulate with pillows and blankets and let it sit there and it will cook to perfection. Although, do not ask how long it takes until it is done... I usually don't bother until 2 or 3 hours later - but it should be done in one hour. Back home we "put the rice to bed" as we use comforters a lot. The couch works as well.

The hubs & I would never have gotten hooked on rice if we'd cooked it your way, Chris!  His roomie at the uni was from Bombay/ Mumbai, so he cooked his rice in a pot.  For many years I used a double boiler.  Then one day we were somewhere where all I had was a skillet and lid.  It comes out fluffy.  Arborio is da bomb for risotto, but if we decide we want risotto at the last minute I'll use what we have.  We ate a lot of Calrose rice when we lived in HI, it does the best if you're using chopsticks.  I find that brown rice takes almost as long to cook as wild rice, and since most of our meals don't take more than 15 or 20 minutes to cook, that's out; I tried a "quick-cooking" brown rice, once; I rank it right down there with "instant" grits & oatmeal; I never liked the taste of paste as a child (some of my classmates ate theirs), and I rank the taste of those particular items right down there with that.  I'd rather eat two-day old poi!

13 hours ago, Sable said:

I know I’m being terribly redundant but I guess I’m looking for sympathy. I’m all set for my month of May real life floor replacement nightmare:

1-Plumber to remove water heater, toilet, bath sink, disposal and kitchen plumbing

2-Countertop removal

3-Kitchen cabinet removal

4-Movers to move all furniture to storage

5-Floor removal and slab grinding

6-New floor installers

7-Kitchen cabinets reinstalled

8-Countertop reinstalled

9-Plumber to reinstall water heater, bath fixtures and kitchen.

10-Movers to move it all back again. (probably not before Memorial Day)

But just think! Come June it'll all be shiny and new :D Sympathy nonetheless, all that dust :( 

• Like 1

You could be right Holly. Most folks don't understand it but I hate it. The problem is that I was trained as nurse when "matron" patrolled daily, everything right down to the bed wheels had to be exactly right, even folded sheets in a cupboard and the place was spotless.  Meals were good ans served in a nice way.Now it seems anything goes, they are dirty, most of the staff are indifferent to the patients and if you complain  they think you are a nuisance and meals are made and shipped hundreds of miles and warmed up. My standards are high, that is the way I am. I seem to sit or lay there just noticing the dirt etc etc. My fave funny comment I hear often is when I say" no thank you :to a food tray and the chat begins. It always happens !!!

Nurse." you have to eat ".

Me, yes but I would rather not eat that.

Nurse, what is wrong with it.( Now at this point I don't want to be rude so I don';t say it is garbage so I say.)

Me " I don't care for it".

Nurse, but there is nothing wrong with it"

Me," would you eat it"

Nurse . "yes it look delicious to me"

Now how can you answer that, if she feels it is fine then her standards are clearly lower than mine and there is no answer.

The next step is usually a visit from someone higher up..and eventually  it goes on my records that I am refusing to eat and a social worker turns up to find out why and being 75 at this point can be a problem, as they start to suggest you are depressed, senile  or they try to talk to your family instead of you. etc  etc....

You could make a TV show out of this.

I am going to try .." Sorry but I only eat organic food and my daughter will bring it in for me"

Good luck to me.

Just adding as this sound very negative. I have absolutely no complaints to the nurses in OR or recovery, they do a great job.

I have to say that my last hospital stay (over night after getting the pacemaker put in the first time) they let me eat real food for dinner.  It was a good thing, because the next AM when they ran all the test on me to make sure the darned thing would work properly they loaded me onto a stretcher before breakfast and didn't dump me back in my bed until after lunch; when my DH showed up with my clean clothes and I got dressed I carped and bit**ed until my cardiologist came in to discharge me, and we went to lunch at the local Thai buffet.

1 hour ago, Thimble Hall said:

You could be right Holly. Most folks don't understand it but I hate it. The problem is that I was trained as nurse when "matron" patrolled daily, everything right down to the bed wheels had to be exactly right, even folded sheets in a cupboard and the place was spotless.  Meals were good ans served in a nice way.Now it seems anything goes, they are dirty, most of the staff are indifferent to the patients and if you complain  they think you are a nuisance and meals are made and shipped hundreds of miles and warmed up. My standards are high, that is the way I am. I seem to sit or lay there just noticing the dirt etc etc. My fave funny comment I hear often is when I say" no thank you :to a food tray and the chat begins. It always happens !!!

Nurse." you have to eat ".

Me, yes but I would rather not eat that.

Nurse, what is wrong with it.( Now at this point I don't want to be rude so I don';t say it is garbage so I say.)

Me " I don't care for it".

Nurse, but there is nothing wrong with it"

Me," would you eat it"

Nurse . "yes it look delicious to me"

Now how can you answer that, if she feels it is fine then her standards are clearly lower than mine and there is no answer.

The next step is usually a visit from someone higher up..and eventually  it goes on my records that I am refusing to eat and a social worker turns up to find out why and being 75 at this point can be a problem, as they start to suggest you are depressed, senile  or they try to talk to your family instead of you. etc  etc....

You could make a TV show out of this.

I am going to try .." Sorry but I only eat organic food and my daughter will bring it in for me"

Good luck to me.

Just adding as this sound very negative. I have absolutely no complaints to the nurses in OR or recovery, they do a great job.

I'm so sorry but this really makes me think of a kinda funny story about my mom . She had a stroke and recovered very well but had to go to a rehab facility for her speech (kinda had her own language going)  . She wouldn't eat and It was late the second day when they warned us they would be sending in a social working if she didn't eat . So we got tough with her and explained she could be forced on a feeding tube it was so sad to see her so sad . OK here comes the funny I had my 4ish year old with me and he turns to me and says MOM Grandma says the food sucks and can she have some real fool. He understood her just fine. He was our interpreter for almost a week.   

• Like 3

Oh my goodness, that's priceless, maybe I should have him standing in the wings, don't be sorry by the way. I laugh at my situation anyway. I can't help being fussy.I think that kid should be given an honoree medical degree, see your Mum and son had more sense than the pro's.

I hate bad food, I rarely eat in restaurants for the same reason, it is usually teenagers cooking these days. They take perfectly good food and wreck it.

I will get through it no problem so long as I can avoid the dreaded social worker.

Thank you for your post, it has made me laugh..I shall carry the idea of your son with me, he will get me through it!!

We are fortunate to have spent the last four moves in areas with colleges with culinary arts programs, so most of our local restaurants have real chefs, not teenagers, cooking in them.  That said, one of our local Pensacola eateries that flashes their local culinary award in their window used to host one of our Jazz Society's monthly events and because we are mostly elderly and on limited incomes they did what most of the restaurants that host our events do and put out a special menu for us with more modestly priced food.  The problem was that within a month or two the quality of the food plummeted to the point that neither of us will go there to eat their regular menu; there are so many other places that serve good food, even when it's just our geriatric group.

Holly, you are very lucky to have real chefs around you. I guess if I went downtown Vancouver I may find one or two but not this far out. You know the last really well done meal I had was on the overnight ferry from Holland to England, everything was good and I can honestly say I could not fault any of it.

It is sad that the restaurant you mentioned treated you so badly, it is very wrong.

I don't  even have a big problem with fast food restaurants, at least they are honest and don't pretend to be what they are not. I can eat KFC or McDonaklds now and again but I get what I pay for and it is at least always the same. It is when I am asked to pay huge amounts of money for reheated food or frozen stuff. It will irks me. I don't eat left overs or re heated food at home so why shoud I pay for it.Sadly most of the hospital food falls into the latter.

You know years ago I used to love jazz but gradually no one around me did and it kind of fell off my map.I remember very fondly going to all night jaxx dances. Oh memories!!

"Thimble ". You just brought back a sweet memory of my grandmother.   She was 98, in a nursing home.  When my sister went to visit, she asked her for some KFC.  Sister left and came back with the food.   At 98 she should eat what she wanted, not the nasty food from the home. Every visit from then until her passing she got KFC.

• Like 2

Had a bad night last night. Just 2 days before leaving and "Cat" (yes that is his name) decides not to come home.  We were both devastated.   I get up at 5am go check and there the bugger is, laying on the back bed.  I'm tempted to lock him up . My blood pressure can't go through that again.

1 hour ago, L Swearengin said:

Had a bad night last night. Just 2 days before leaving and "Cat" (yes that is his name) decides not to come home.  We were both devastated.   I get up at 5am go check and there the bugger is, laying on the back bed.  I'm tempted to lock him up . My blood pressure can't go through that again.

Cats ... gotta love 'em, but sometimes it's hard!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

Cats ... gotta love 'em, but sometimes it's hard!

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Kids are worse.  I won't even begin with the latest episode; it's worse than a soap opera.   BTW, I love your cat's name, Lawanda!

LOL ... my post originally read "Cats and kids ..." but had second thoughts and deleted the kids. Probably should have left them in. :D 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KathieB said:

LOL ... my post originally read "Cats and kids ..." but had second thoughts and deleted the kids. Probably should have left them in. :D 

Yeah, you've had your share of drama, too.