What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

I'll try and get him to do a "dry" run when he gets back.  Who ever had them installed made life easy.  The bolts are cemented into the wall at the bottom,  there is a lip at the top of all the windows.  The sheets slide into the lip then over the bolts with nuts.  We will definitely mark each one if they aren't already.   Thanks for the help.  This is all new to me.

I jumped on the fruit bandwagon day before yesterday.   Bought 2 little orange trees to plant out back.  They are SUPPOSED to be the Satsuma type oranges.  Time will tell.  If not the "Merts Satsuma " tree farm is just up the road.   (One must understand my plant skills, I killed cactus) (it died of thurst)

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Our Bahama shutters are rated to withstand tornadic winds.

I know. For some reason Miami Dade Code, which is the bible  to all of South Florida just won’t allow them. I can use them in Vero but not down here.

So according to my neighbor in Vero the hydroxyl generator did not get rid of the outgasing from the floor. So, I’m heading up to Vero again and trying to hire 2 laborers to move to the outside the ton of boxes containing the new flooring so I can spend another unexpected $3k to have the concrete slab coated with a sealer, tomorrow. Once the sealer is down, the laborers will move the boxes back inside. Problem right now is finding two strong men to do this for me. I’m waiting for the local homeless shelter to call me back. I’m tempting them with a nice donation. 

$3k to seal a concrete floor?  You have GOT to be kidding!  My DH & I sealed the floor of my 500 square foot workshop for the cost of a couple of cans of sealer and a brush, all from Lowe's.  I think the entire workshop cost us $3k (minus the a/c; we put that in two years later).

10 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

$3k to seal a concrete floor?  You have GOT to be kidding!  My DH & I sealed the floor of my 500 square foot workshop for the cost of a couple of cans of sealer and a brush, all from Lowe's.  I think the entire workshop cost us $3k (minus the a/c; we put that in two years later).

It’s complicated, too much moisture from the ocean and the fumes from the old floor create additional gassing. This stuff is used anyplace where moisture is a problem. Hospitals use it due to low VOC’s. I know it’s overkill but I want to be able to use my beach house without getting sick.  Back on prednisone for the cough I got from being there last week. Everyone I’ve spoken to is highly recommending it. However, I might be able to return the expensive moisture barrier underlayment now. The sealer is called MC Rapid. 

New roof going on today. Workers here at 7:30 am, old shingles & roofing paper removed, new paper on, and a good start on the shingling -- then thunder clouds moved in. Right now roof is sitting under a blue tarp, waiting for storm to pass by. It's raining at my sister's house, seven miles from here, but only a few scattered drops here. Fingers crossed that no more falls.

• Like 1

For whatever reason the blueberries are late this year; usually by now they're beginning to ripen, but except for one or two precocious (and delicious!) volunteers showing the others how it's done, all my bushes are covered in green berries, some of them just beginning to blush.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

New roof going on today. Workers here at 7:30 am, old shingles & roofing paper removed, new paper on, and a good start on the shingling -- then thunder clouds moved in. Right now roof is sitting under a blue tarp, waiting for storm to pass by. It's raining at my sister's house, seven miles from here, but only a few scattered drops here. Fingers crossed that no more falls.

I was in a store an hour ago and they had the Weather Channel on and Atlanta was getting poured on.

53 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

For whatever reason the blueberries are late this year; usually by now they're beginning to ripen, but except for one or two precocious (and delicious!) volunteers showing the others how it's done, all my bushes are covered in green berries, some of them just beginning to blush.

I miss berry picking. 

Does that ever bring back memories!  The kitchen of our 1906 Sears kit house had a floor that was tiled with the white hexagonal porcelain tiles, bordered in black.  I kept it for its looks and things that weren't supposed to break when dropped would absolutely shatter into a bazillion bits if it hit that floor!

18 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Does that ever bring back memories!  The kitchen of our 1906 Sears kit house had a floor that was tiled with the white hexagonal porcelain tiles, bordered in black.  I kept it for its looks and things that weren't supposed to break when dropped would absolutely shatter into a bazillion bits if it hit that floor!

I just wanted to keep it classic and match the master bath. If this style has lasted 112 years then it’s better than something that will be dated in 5 years.  Two closets were done this way, too.

Well that was a fun event.  

As I said spouse is out of town for a funeral.   I decided it would be a good time to get some things up.  Got 4 little shelves up, no problems.   Got back up on the step stool (vintage 50s step stool), got the nail in the wall, stepped down, missed a step straight to floor.   Hope I didn't break the kitchen cabinets with my head.  Poor old dog nearly got squished by a falling whale.   She's blind and nearly deaf.  Thankfully she moved and is ok.

Yep I'm done hanging stuff on the walls. (For a while. Lol).

3 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Oh no Kathie! Hope the roof made it through okay.  We had a thunderstorm warning here a couple hours ago, just as we were leaving work. They even said hail was possible, but I think we were spared that.

The intrepid roofers got about 80% finished then had to secure the blue tarps and retreat until tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, Sable said:

I was in a store an hour ago and they had the Weather Channel on and Atlanta was getting poured on.

It's too wet to walk into the garden to check the rain gauge, but eyeballing it from a distance, I'm guess we got about 2" in 2 hours. It was a real gully washer.

1 hour ago, L Swearengin said:

Well that was a fun event.  

As I said spouse is out of town for a funeral.   I decided it would be a good time to get some things up.  Got 4 little shelves up, no problems.   Got back up on the step stool (vintage 50s step stool), got the nail in the wall, stepped down, missed a step straight to floor.   Hope I didn't break the kitchen cabinets with my head.  Poor old dog nearly got squished by a falling whale.   She's blind and nearly deaf.  Thankfully she moved and is ok.

Yep I'm done hanging stuff on the walls. (For a while. Lol).

Oh, Lawanda, hope you don't wait up stiff and sore in the morning. I've gotten leery of climbing in my old age. I have 2 can lights out in the kitchen. One went out today, one has been out several weeks. I need to lug the 6-foot ladder inside to change them. I don't trust my balance on the handy folding 2-step stool as there's nothing to hang on to if I try to get on the 2nd step. Can't reach the bulb from the first step. Now that two of the four are out, guess I'll do the ladder thing tomorrow.

I have a two-step stepstool I keep folded next to the fridge specifically to reach things in the back of the second shelves and tops of my cupboards.  Whenever I use it I open the cupboard doors and grab one of the lower shelves in a death grip whilst I ascend or descend.  I had one of those Cosco stepstools we got as a wedding gift in 1963 that I finally  stopped using in our Havana house because of the way it wobbled and swayed whenever I had to stand on the seat part.  Kitchen cabinets be da**ed, I hope you didn't break any bones!

Wow! Did I miss a lot!

Holly, I'm so glad you're OK.

Sable, I love your bathroom floor. I might put something like that in a dollhouse.

Kathie, you can't be any worse a gardener than I am. I got a rep for having a green thumb the three years I actually had a garden. The reason why? Because I planted everything and anything and what grew in clay grew like crazy. What didn't got tossed. So nobody saw the failures and believe me, there were a lot of those. Of course, it didn't help for a couple of months when I was throwing the sawdust from the mouse cages under the daisies. I thought that would fertilize those beautiful growing daisy bushes. Instead, I killed them all. Poor things. Live and learn and learn and learn and learn and learn.

I forgot to add, I'm going out with one of the owners of the land I bought and we're going to walk the property on Sunday. He wants to show me the water meter and flagged corners. Actually, I think he's going to walk, I'm going to limp for a few steps, sit down, limp for a few more steps, sit down, ad nauseum. But if anyone is interested in looking at pictures of weeds, I was going to take the camera along and share some pics with you all. This is on the same level of me taking my sheet of paper with the lot and septic design and showing that to everyone today, too. I showed it to the bank teller, I showed it to the guy who got the MO for me...."Hey, look! This is my lot!" And it's just a square drawn on a piece of paper. "Hey, look! This is where the septic tank goes!" LMAO

• Like 1

Heidi. I am a long time gardener with a huge seed stash as I swap all over the world. If I can help just ask. If you want to save seeds from your squash for eg you need to separate them  by family. Plant you corn on block not rows etc.. some tomatoes need pruning. some don't like it . ask if you need any help

11 hours ago, KathieB said:

The intrepid roofers got about 80% finished then had to secure the blue tarps and retreat until tomorrow. 

It's too wet to walk into the garden to check the rain gauge, but eyeballing it from a distance, I'm guess we got about 2" in 2 hours. It was a real gully washer.

The crew was back at 7:30 this morning and an hour later are now installing the roof peak vents. Cleanup shouldn't take long as they have been taking the debris to the dumpster right along. They should be out of here well before noon.

I made it out to the rain gauge -- 1-7/8"  My squint estimate was right on. :)  The local weather guessers are calling yesterday's downbursts a "wild storm". The ground is well saturated and the wind was really whipping at times. Many big old trees down, home and power line damages in older neighborhoods. I guess that's one advantage of living in a community that was built relatively recently on cleared farmland -- none of the trees are big enough to damage a doghouse. :D 

Ground is still too wet to work, but dry weather promised for next week. The quarter round for the Beacon Hill staircase is due to arrive today, so with luck I'll get it finished this weekend. I slide it in place 2 or 3 times a day for the nice feeling I get when it slips in and out without a hitch. I can only hope the ground floor segment works as well.

Edit: Bummer. Just checked delivery info for the package from HBS. It's still in the "USPS is waiting for the package" mode. Guess the wild storm messed with HBS getting the package to the post office or the postal service wasn't able to get to HBS to pick it up. At any rate, no staircase work this weekend. Wonder what else I can fiddle with. :hmm: 

• Like 2