What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

55 minutes ago, Sable said:

Kathie, my RL 14 ft quarter rounds were picked up yesterday. I’m going to try to paint them all today while the sealer is being applied to the floor. Better not rain!

12:10 pm and sunny in Hotlanta! Debris cleaned up, dumpster picked up. and the intrepid crew are loading the last of their tools into their vehicle. They even took a can of black paint and painted the pipes and stacks sticking out of the roof for a fine look. They did an exceptional job despite Mother Nature's soggy road block.

Hope the weather holds for you, Denise. I know you're anxious to get this job done!

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Kathie, you can PM me with this info, if you wish, what does a roof cost in Atlanta now a days? I assume it’s shingles. Our concrete tile roofs cost anywhere between $20k to $40k.

It was roughly $6,000 for architectural grade laminated shingles, 2300 sq feet. Because there was a little wind damage and the original shingles (from a now defunct company) are known to be defective, all I'm paying is the insurance deductible. Not all insurance companies will pay for a total replacement; many will pay only to repair, which is often less than the deductible. Thank you, State Farm.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

It was roughly $6,000 for architectural grade laminated shingles, 2300 sq feet. Because there was a little wind damage and the original shingles (from a now defunct company) are known to be defective, all I'm paying is the insurance deductible. Not all insurance companies will pay for a total replacement; many will pay only to repair, which is often less than the deductible. Thank you, State Farm.

Hopefully, they won’t drop you now that you’ve made a claim. Happens all the time down here. 

I also have State Farm, and we also had our shingles replaced many years back. No problems, and they didn't drop us. 

There was a really crazy storm, that might have even been the one where I saw the tornado form one street over. Or, it might have been the following year when the tornado clipped the top of our house... We've had some crazy winds and stuff over the years. But whenever that was, probably 95% of the neighborhood got new roofs that summer we did. 

I don't remember the cost, but $6k sounds about in the same ballpark.

Farm Bureau replaced our son's house (half duplex) when half a live oak fell on both units last year.  They almost dropped him because they didn't get our address, where he was staying until the house was livable again, when it was time to renew.  Fortunately we got it all straightened out.  I'm glad that State Farm is also good to deal with.

Lawanda, are you OK after that fall?

Holly, thanks for asking.  My hip still hurts, but for the most part i'm good.  The huge bruise on my big toe is from the piece of wood I dropped on it before I fell.  Lol.

FYI: the hip always hurts so i don't think it's broken or anything.   

I'll be happy when my daughter is close enough to come help her aging mother.  Haha

9 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

I'll be happy when my daughter is close enough to come help her aging mother.  Haha

Don't laugh. When the ceiling can light over the sink went out, I called on one of my nieces to replace it. She hopped up on the counter and did it in a flash. When two more went out, not over counters, I got out the 6' ladder. Had to climb to the 2nd rung to reach the bulbs. Wouldn't have attempted it without the top of the ladder to clutch for stability. I don't want to be the lady who has to call someone to help her up off the floor. I'm all for the younger folks helping us out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

...I don't want to be the lady who has to call someone to help her up off the floor. I'm all for the younger folks helping us out.

One of the reasons we bought the house we're in now is that I fell down the stairs in our Havana house fifteen minutes after DH left for a weekend hiking/ tent camping trip and I was starting a cold.  Fortunately the phone with my younger neighbor's # posted on it was close enough to crawl to, and she hauled me to the doctor to get Xrayed; I then took her out to lunch.

Rebecca, it was Memorial Day weekend here, a time to honor the fallen vets and also considered by many to be a general Remembrance Day where graves are decorated. Vets who have passed in the family get extra attention to their graves with flags, etc. 

We had a nice time :) 

Got my workroom cleaned and organized and cast some new dolls yesterday. Kids are out of school mid next week. Looks like our weather is going to be heating up significantly next week. 

• Like 1

Well, so much for walking the lot today. Yes, the lot is semi-cleared - of trees. However, that was three years ago and now there is a road that goes about 100 ft into the property and stops. Beyond that, there are no trees, but the brush is at least 6ft high all over what was previously cleared. To walk any further and we would have needed a machete. The owner said it would be a hard mow and it would have to be done twice, but he's willing to do it to re-clear the lot. I may not be moving out there nearly as soon as I thought.

Anyway, I took a few pics of the weeds. Got a lupine in one of them.

Had a nice afternoon with my sister. The plan was to have lunch in Cartersville and then visit the Booth Museum of Western Art. It has been on my bucket list for a while. So, we go to Cartersville, about a half hour from us, and have brunch at a nice restaurant on Main Street.

There's still about a half hour before the museum will open, so we stop in an antique/estate sale shop by the restaurant. I found a lace edged handkerchief that will one day be miniature bed linens. We chatted with one a booth owner, and Sis mentioned she was looking for a tricycle. For some reason her 2-1/2 year old granddaughter is hot to get a purple bicycle. She announces that multiple times daily. Her speech is just forming, so sometimes she spouts paragraphs that we suspect may be Croatian or Japanese, and she uses her own language at times (wagy is water) but "want purple bicycle" rings out unmistakably clear.

Brenda-the-Booth owner mentioned a guy who she thought had a bicycle and pedal car in his front yard sale and thought maybe he'd have a tricycle. (The plan was to get ANY right-sized trike and paint it purple.) We said thanks, I paid for the handkerchief and we stepped outside. I said, "You know, the museum will be there another day. Want to go check out the yard sale?" So we went back in to the store and got specific directions.

Little did we know, today is the last day of the Dixie Highway Yard Sale, the annual sale that stretches 90 miles! They didn't have a trike, but they did have a couple of not-for-sale miniature buildings. Very primitive, lovely. Wish I had taken pictures. They suggested we try the Good Will store, which happened to be along the road home; we stopped. There was a trike, but it was too big for the munchkin. There was a Dairy Queen right next door, however, so we stopped in for some root beer floats. It was a hot, muggy day, and just getting in and out of the car kind of took the starch out of us. The root beer helped perk us up for the ride home. 

I hopped on Google when I got home and found a tricycle in the right size for a 2-4 year old that was listed as pink but has much purple trim. And it's not plastic. Sis was adamant that it not be plastic. It has been ordered. 

When I got on line I discovered two responses to my plea for gardening help. I'll get back to them and see if one or both can come early Tuesday morning to get to work. I think one more day of drying out will dry out the surface dirt enough to be workable yet soft enough underneath that pulling weeds ought to be relatively easy. <She says optimistically!> 

All in all, a wonderfully serendipitous afternoon. :) 

• Like 2

Kathie, I loved your bike story. It’s fun to have a purpose while shopping. 

Last year as we were recovering from hurricane Irma, I signed up to be a volunteer for our city for future storms. Completely forgot about this until last week when I was invited to attend training tomorrow night. If I recall correctly, I volunteered for administrative duties in an air conditioned setting like credential verification for out of state contractors. Hope I don’t get assigned water and ice duty in a tent.

So the sealer was applied in mixed batches rather than as a whole. This was an epoxy material which required part A and part B to be mixed in exact amounts. So there may be a failure in their mixture which brings about a HUGE problem caused by the installer. I’m meeting with the manufacturer to see if it’s ok or if it has to be mechanically removed. What a nightmare!

1 hour ago, Sable said:

So the sealer was applied in mixed batches rather than as a whole. This was an epoxy material which required part A and part B to be mixed in exact amounts. So there may be a failure in their mixture which brings about a HUGE problem caused by the installer. I’m meeting with the manufacturer to see if it’s ok or if it has to be mechanically removed. What a nightmare!

Yikes! Hope the outcome is good for both you and the installer, who I hope is ready to reapply at no charge to you for materials and labor if they messed up.

Yuck, Denise!  I also have fingers crossed for a better outcome.

DS #3 arrived last night for his semi-annual month-long stay with us.  His bus is scheduled to arrive at 1820, but it has NEVER come on time; the one time we ran late it came early and he was in a panic by the time we were able to fight our way through traffic to get there.  Last night the bus was after 1900 getting in; the Billy Bowlegs Festival is going on in Ft Walton Beach, with street closures, and the bus was already ten minutes behind at Panama City; we missed our monthly Jazz Jam because by the time we'd have gotten there and  ordered food it would have been almost over.  We took him to a nearby BBQ place for supper.

Thanks Karin!  Makes sense!  Here we have ANZAC Day which is like Rememberance Day but specifically for Australia and NZ.  We have dawn parades and services and last year my son got to be the Scout to raise and lower the NZ Flag during the local Dawn Service.  Was very, very special - especially as he got to wear, for the first time, his Gt Grandfather's medals from WWII.

Kathie - that sounds like my kind of a day!!

• Like 1

Finally! New floor being installed today! Tomorrow and Sunday, the DH and I are painting. Monday the movers return with my furniture and the plumber with new water heater and taller toilets. Tuesday, kitchen cabinets get reinstalled and the tv cable is being moved. Wednesday, the freshly honed marble countertop is going back in. Almost there.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2018, 8:36:00, L Swearengin said:

Off to another farmer's market.   This time in D'iberville (sp).  A little warning from the spouse would be nice sometimes.   No time to tell Chris. :-( 

'cause poor Chris is working................ I've been in d'Iberville for 10 years and have not made it to the Farmer's market once............ hahahaha

• Like 1

To all of you who/whom(?) have had to move recently, boy do I feel your pain. A few snags but it’s all working out or I’m too tired to care. Two minor floods under the new floor seemed to dry out well with lots of fans, every wall and ceiling had to be vacuumed to get the concrete dust off before painting, I just noticed a gouge in the new wood floor by the movers from the dishwasher, the bed broke last night as my husband was climbing into it, nail in a tire required a new tire and everything that I cleaned before the move was covered in a black dust from the blankets the movers used to wrap everything for storage. Exhausted but glad it’s done and the beach house looks great again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sable said:

Exhausted but glad it’s done and the beach house looks great again.

Good grief, Denise! This remodel has certainly been a bear! So glad to know that it looks great again. Hope you have  some time to enjoy it. :)