What are you up to today? This week?

16336 posts in this topic

Remind me not to get an EKG if I'm ever in your area; my nurses have always tried to remove all those little sticky pads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dislike those sticky pads.  Every time one gets pulled off, the skin goes with it.  Ouch!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@rodentraiser did you mention once that you had an “eye migraine” episode? I get these that’s why I thought it was you. If it was you than it sounds like one of these episodes. I find I get them when I’m dehydrated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to get those with the fractured halo the last few years before I retired.  Caffeine cleared them up, either strong black coffee or Excedrin, whatever I could get,or fifteen minutes with my eyes closed; it was always late afternoon when I got them.  Since I retired I've not had the first one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sable said:

@rodentraiser did you mention once that you had an “eye migraine” episode? I get these that’s why I thought it was you. If it was you than it sounds like one of these episodes. I find I get them when I’m dehydrated. 

I don't think I ever referred to what I had as an eye migraine. What I had was a vitreous separation of the macula. There's something that separates off the macula on the inside of the eyeball and when it does, it releases a ton of floaters, which I still have, You can actually see the separation when they take a snapshot of the inside of the eye. And you can see the floaters, too.

What I'm going through now is literal double vision. Have you guys ever had the eye doctor separate your vision and then asked you to tell him when the little boxes or lines match up? They do it both horizontally and vertically. Well, that's how my vision goes and it goes vertically. On one side I'm seeing things higher than on the other side. Each eye by itself sees fine (I've covered each eye at a time while experiencing this), but together they just don't match up.

It's a little weird when it happens.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, a few weeks ago my smoke alarms went berserk because one of them broke. Last week the repairman fnally arrived with the part for my oven, so now after a month of being ovenless I can finally bake and roast again. Today, as I was defrosting chili for an easy no fuss meal, my microwave suddenly died without even a beep. Being bored, DH immediately went online to see if we could go pick up a new microwave at a store. He found a microwave almost exactly like the one that just broke, so we went to Target and bought it. He also bought himself a little espresso maker becaue he needed a new toy. 

Earlier in the day we got into an argument about the runner in the hall. I decided to get rid of it, as it was an impediment to closing the door between the hall and the kitchen, he wanted to keep it because he paid good money for that runner 20 years ago. The other day the smoke alarm in the hall went off because the toast in the toaster got slightly scorched edges. I didn't even see any smoke and I was right there! Anyway, whenever there's the tiniest bit of unexpected smoke  or steam in the kitchen I have to dash to the door, throw the runner back into the hall and shut the door. I decided I'd had enough and got rid of the runner. Our first floor powder room is off the hall, and after using the facility I opened the door and it almost bashed into the wall. For the past 20 years we've been putting effort into opening the powder room door because the bottom of the door rubbed against the carpet. Have to remember to just tap the door to open it wide now. before I the doorknob makes a hole in the wall.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018, 2:57:25, rodentraiser said:

I don't think I ever referred to what I had as an eye migraine. What I had was a vitreous separation of the macula. There's something that separates off the macula on the inside of the eyeball and when it does, it releases a ton of floaters, which I still have, You can actually see the separation when they take a snapshot of the inside of the eye. And you can see the floaters, too.

What I'm going through now is literal double vision. Have you guys ever had the eye doctor separate your vision and then asked you to tell him when the little boxes or lines match up? They do it both horizontally and vertically. Well, that's how my vision goes and it goes vertically. On one side I'm seeing things higher than on the other side. Each eye by itself sees fine (I've covered each eye at a time while experiencing this), but together they just don't match up.

It's a little weird when it happens.

 

How are your blood sugars? Both low and high numbers can really play tricks with the eyes. I'm glad you went to the Er and got checked out! BTW, you have the best attitude about life's ups and downs.

Did you consult Dr. Google???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, grazhina said:

because he paid good money for that runner 20 years ago.

Some of the joys of being married. Pick your battles!!! Here is some ammo, scatter rugs are dangerous as you age because they become a tripping hazard. I usually try scare tactics with my husband......Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

How are your blood sugars? Both low and high numbers can really play tricks with the eyes. I'm glad you went to the Er and got checked out! BTW, you have the best attitude about life's ups and downs.

Did you consult Dr. Google???

Blood sugar is fine. Blood pressure is fine. MRI and MRA came out fine. EKG is fine. I'm the healthiest sick person around.

My doctor sort of blew off my concerns on Monday, so I'm looking for another doctor to harass now. At the very least I'll get a fourth opinion.

Dr. Google scared the crap out of me. I didn't really read about TIAs until last Wednesday and then I read that 50% of people who have a TIA have a real stroke in the next 48 hours (glad I didn't know that on Monday) and 1 out of 4 will have a stroke in the next year. I really didn't need to know that either.

Thank you for saying that about my attitude (life has ups? LOL). I'm actually depressed and on medication (that sort of works), so I am someone who sees life's dark side all the time, I laugh at myself and the rest of the world a lot, and both of those combined with my warped sense of humor get me though a lot. Although I did have one boss who told me she could never understand my humor. But then, she was 60 going on 100 and I was 50 going on 12. She couldn't understand dollhouses and pet mice either and I couldn't understand how someone could be such a goody-goody PITA all the time.

We didn't get along very well.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, grazhina said:

So, a few weeks ago my smoke alarms went berserk because one of them broke.

 

My smoke alarm is in the kitchen and it shrieked whenever I opened the oven door and took out something even a little bit crisped. I whacked it with a dishtowel and now it makes a beep beep sound that would still wake me, but not the whole county. Today, though...I have those metal covers over my burners (electric) because I want my kitchen to look nice (and hide the fact that I haven't cleaned the pans yet).

So one of my gallon water bottles in the fridge is leaking and in putting it up on the small counter to see where, it slips out of my hands and hits a burner, turning it on. I have a crock pot taking up the whole 2 feet of counter space I have and I'm trying to push that out of the way while throwing the water bottle back on the counter. The next thing I know is I have smoke billowing up to the ceiling because the burner is on high and burning the h311 out of the metal cover and the smoke alarm is not beeping but shrieking.

I turn off the burner, grab the cover and toss it in the sink (where it promptly melted a plastic storage container), left the water bottle on the counter, and wet a hand towel to whack the alarm again (who said I couldn't multi-task?). When I got it quieted down, I turn around and the water bottle is up against the hot crock pot and the plastic is somewhat melted and a gallon of water is leaking all over my floor.

I've had better days.

To all this I would like to add that the one time I caught a paper napkin on fire (blew on it, shook it, shook it some more, threw it to the ground and stamped on it), the smoke alarm stayed as quiet as a mouse. Apparently it really is just a smoke alarm and will shriek when there's smoke, but let me get burned up if there are only flames.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maya and I have decided to embark upon a brainchild project: A miniature replica of Freddie Mercury’s home “Garden Lodge.” We’re borh HUGE Queen fans but Maya really loves Freddie Mercury. She’s one of those “misfits in the back of the room that don’t belong” that was talked about in the movie :D It’s going to be 1:24 scale. Maybe even smaller depending on the total footprint she wants. So far we are just going to build the house and kind of decorate the main room with his piano. We’re going to do the house and the garden. Maya wants to find a way to add a music box that plays Bohemian Rhapsody. It should be a really fun project!

Garden-Lodge-where-Freddie-Mercury-lived

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With some trepidations we went to see the film version of "The Girl in the Spider's Web"; better than expected, but still not as close to the book as the first three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

With some trepidations we went to see the film version of "The Girl in the Spider's Web"; better than expected, but still not as close to the book as the first three.

They rarely are. It has been so long since I read the original books. How do the new ones compare to the originals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

Miranda that looks like a great project!

It should be a really fun build. The house looks simple enough. Im just planning on doing the whole thing out of matboard to make things easy on myself. I plan on putting my silhoutte to good use!  She’s doing all the research on the house so we know what it should look like. She wants the inside to have just enough decor that it looks “lived in” but nothing crazy. It will be just somethibg to look at, not play with so that helps. It’s going to be a challenge finding lights for it, though.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SewMini said:

Maya and I have decided to embark upon a brainchild project: A miniature replica of Freddie Mercury’s home “Garden Lodge.” We’re borh HUGE Queen fans but Maya really loves Freddie Mercury. She’s one of those “misfits in the back of the room that don’t belong” that was talked about in the movie :D It’s going to be 1:24 scale. Maybe even smaller depending on the total footprint she wants. So far we are just going to build the house and kind of decorate the main room with his piano. We’re going to do the house and the garden. Maya wants to find a way to add a music box that plays Bohemian Rhapsody. It should be a really fun project!

Garden-Lodge-where-Freddie-Mercury-lived

 

Great Project I can't wait to see it all . My 30 year old son and I went to see the new movie Bohemian Rhapsody. We both could not believe it was over and that was a 2.15 hour movie WE wanted more. It was that good . I grew up listening to Queen They were my favorite all time and was so lucky to see them live . I loved how they fused rock and theatre. My children grew up listing to them too.

Have fun what and post everything.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really miffed yesterday. I had ordered the Mam Mia Here We Go Again movie and was so excited as I loved the first one. I played it and it was a huge let down. I was so disappointed.

I have just had the series Shetland shipped from the UK. I have never seen any of this and am quite keen to see that. It has good reviews so I think I am Ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holly, I just re read some of this topic I am so sorry I did not write this sooner.

I am so pleased to hear that you came through that awful thing, we never know  what is round the corner do we. you are a very lucky lady. clearly there is something else  planned for your life , it was not your time, but how scary can you get gal!! Anyway I am so glad you are OK . I often think of you on your bike!!

Kelly you too, maybe you too are related LOL.

XX Jeannine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeannine, we have to choose our battles.  In addition to lemonade life's lemons can also make lemon zest for cookies and pastries and there's lemon meringue pie.  And after I survived a wreck with a log truck that ate my little Renault Alliance (very long story that includes the trooper writing me up as dead and trading faith for certainty) I am definitely not going to sit around and mope about the things I no longer have energy or range of motion to do.  Did anyone see the interview Stephen Colbert did with Ruth Bader Ginsburg?  I wouldn't mind having a cute personal trainer like she does!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Jeannine, we have to choose our battles.  In addition to lemonade life's lemons can also make lemon zest for cookies and pastries and there's lemon meringue pie.  And after I survived a wreck with a log truck that ate my little Renault Alliance (very long story that includes the trooper writing me up as dead and trading faith for certainty) I am definitely not going to sit around and mope about the things I no longer have energy or range of motion to do.  Did anyone see the interview Stephen Colbert did with Ruth Bader Ginsburg?  I wouldn't mind having a cute personal trainer like she does!

 

I had lots of lemons for lemonade, but I could seldom afford the sugar.

Holly, if I had a cute trainer like that, I'd have to tie him up with a chain. Otherwise he'd take one look at me and run for his life!

Jeannine, I was just born ornery. My mom would tell me not to touch the TV and I'd turn around and slap it in front of her. I'm so contrary, I'll probably die arguing with someone. Although I wouldn't mind being related to Holly, I doubt she'd want to claim any relation to me. LMAO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I found out that there's only one repairman in my entire region who's authorized to repair a Fisher Paykel dishwasher, and he's too busy to be able to come fix mine. He was at least nice enough to call me and tell me he's booked up for months. Fisher Paykel assured us that they'll find us another repairman somewhere. What good is a 3 year extended warranty on an appliance if there's no one near you who can fix it when it's broken?  Thank goodness it's a minor thing that isn't working correctly and I can still wash the dishes.

I slashed my finger with a serrated knife while making dinner tonight, then later I somehow started to grab the knife and almost cut my other hand. It was just a pinprick, though. After that I got splashed with hot oil and butter while frying some chicken cutlets. Oh crappola, give me a break! Dinner was chicken Parmesan, by the way, and turned out quite tasty. I think I put a little too much garlic in the garlic butter toast, though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2018, 07:11:36, SewMini said:

Popping in after a couple hectic weeks. I'm finally starting on my Van Buren and I'm super stoked about it! Pics are in the gallery under Hygge House. 

The past few weeks have been...trying. My beloved dog Bacon has been extremely ill with pancreatic cancer. He is my baby boy and I love him so much. He went from being a super active, happy dog to a complete invalid in the span of 3 weeks. He couldn't get up by himself at all. The vet couldn't find any specific tumors, they could only rule out everything except pancreatic cancer. We did test after test after test trying to decide what to do. He finally got so bad that I was ready to put him to sleep to end his misery. The vet took pity on me and suggested we try one last Hail Mary experimental treatment and, by golly, it's working! My life for the past couple weeks has been a blur of feedings every two hours, vet visits, and medication distribution. I think we finally have him figured out and I am so happy. He may not live a full life, but he's looking so much better.

I hope everyone is doing well! I'm off to get caught up.

Oh my gosh Miranda I'm so sorry! I lost my Wrigley in September to Bone Cancer that spread to his lungs. It was awful. I know the agony of a beloved pet ailing.. especially before their time. Wrigley did once have an episode of pancreatitis, brought on by me feeding him some lamb meat which is apparently quite fatty and fatty foods can cause pancreatitis in dogs apparently. Could it be that, seeing as you don't seem to have gotten a definitive diagnosis.. and a low fat bland diet will help. I guess his surgery today will tell the whole story though. Good luck, I've got my fingers and toes crossed for a good outcome for Bacon. ((hugs))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Oh my gosh Miranda I'm so sorry! I lost my Wrigley in September to Bone Cancer that spread to his lungs. It was awful. I know the agony of a beloved pet ailing.. especially before their time. Wrigley did once have an episode of pancreatitis, brought on by me feeding him some lamb meat which is apparently quite fatty and fatty foods can cause pancreatitis in dogs apparently. It could be that.. and a low fat bland diet will help. 

I have a pup (he's 12and weighs 10 pounds) with pancreatitis....we discovered it after a terrible bought of vomiting and uncontrollable diarrhea ...I really thought we were going to lose him, but they hydrated him and sent him home with bland food and no fatty food/treats directions.  We feed him refrigerated dog food from the grocery store that is made with chicken and veggies and  a digestive tract friendly food from the vet that costs more then a fine steak at a chophouse.  Thank goodness he's small.  It's terrible to watch our babies not be well.  I would definitely look into that.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now