1/17/06 Abracadabra

Minis On The Edge

ooo i know this one!!!

In the middle ages saying the word "abracadabra" suppsodly had the power to get rid of disease or a disaster. Another strange thing that they use to do was somethign to do with one of those thigns you put on your neck. The words was in a forum of a shape and they would put it around the person they were trying to protect. I don't remember how this helped, but i Def. remember reading something about this!!

:mellow:

I'd read that in order to get rid of a cold or other ailment they would recite the word over and over each time leaving off one letter untill they got to just a - in this way it was supposed to diminish the problem as the word was spoken so it would go something like

Abracadabra

Abracadabr

Abracadab

Abracada

.. etc

The word is I believe a mispronunciation of a mid eastern word spell unfortunately I can't remember now what the meaning is or the original spelling...something like Abrachad ad abera but I'm too lazy today to dig out the books. Got to enjoy the brief sunshine before we get rain again :wacko:

If I remember right they would say it to stop a bloody nose too.. and if so another cure for a bloody nose was to recite hax lax pax ... oh blah I can't remember the rest of that either. :mellow:

-David

According to an old superstition popular during middle ages, the word Abracadabra could cure a fever cause by many illnesses. All the sufferer had to do was write the word 6 times in the shape of an upside down pyramid, by dropping one letter off the word each line. The sufferer hoped that just as the letters disappeared, so would his fever.

The paper containing this upside down pyramid was worn as a pendant around the neck for nine days, then thrown over the should into an eastward flowing stream.

(What if you did not live by a stream, huh) :mellow: .

It should have been written like this:

Abracadabra

Abracadabr

Abracadab

Abracada

Abracad

Abraca

Abrac

Abra

Abr

Ab

A