Sturbridge Mass. Miniature Show

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhhhh, love both the paintings as well as the chandelier, and no I am not greeeeeeen with envy :lol: not at all....

Hugs and thanks for sharing the eye candy!

I have added to the gallery album photos of us at the show, labeled for you all. I will photograph my Sunday purchases and get them up for tomorrow, am pooped. Heidi and I got home around 4pm. Lots of walking, bad beds at hotel, make Heidi and Dawn rather beat.

Guest Nathaniel

I posted in one of my albums all of the Treasures I got from the Sturbridge Miniatures Show!!

It was really a blast! I walked around from 10am to 3:30pm about - 5 and a half hours. I didnt even stop for lunch! I spent tons and tons of money but it was all WELL worth it!!!

I got to meet some great members from the forum, Carrie, Kate, Judith, Dawn, Heidi, Gail, and Jen! Everyone was sooo nice and pleasant! I am soooo happy to have been able to go to this show and to have met some great mini people!

Let me know what you think!

-Thanks!

Nathaniel

What a great show! And what fun to meet Dawn, Heidi and Nathaniel!

I'm exhausted. I left the show at closing time - 4pm. Then - spur of the moment - I went next door to the Oxhead Tavern and had dinner. On the way home, I stopped in Middleboro to see the replica of the Vietnam Wall. (This replica can be disassembled and travels around the country.)

I'm going to go look at the other folks' pictures now and I'll do mine tomorrow - I haven't even taken the goodies out of the bag yet!

Two people I really wonder about who always attended the show are a lady named Sammy Smith who came from S. Dartmouth, Mass. She made porcelain dishes, which I would love to have more of. She had chamber pots, tankards, ginger jars, and other things you can't find anywhere else. It's been about 5 years since I've been able to get to the show, and the last time I saw her, she had just found out she had cancer. She was also quite elderly, so I always wonder if she pulled though it. If anyone sees her, could you let me know that she is still hanging in there? She would know me as Charlie, the electrician who passed away's daughter.

Also, if anyone sees a guy with a ton of pewter miniatures in wooden bins, could you find out if he has a website?

Another elderly person I always wonder about is a man who makes beautiful furniture, and kind of specializes in Wooten desks. I hope he is still okay and going to the shows. He would probably remember my parents, and maybe me too.

There were so many people we used to see there every year. I really miss going.

Kathi, I found Sammy Smith! And guess what? I buy a piece of furniture from them nearly every year (including this year!). I just didn't remember who they were. Sammy has been battling cancer for over 20 years and now her husband, Jerry, has cancer, too. But they still have the energy to make and sell their minis. I mentioned you just the way you described yourself and she remembered you immediately. Unfortunately, it was late and someone asked her a question and I had to leave. But they have a website: http://happinessisminiatures.com/ If you scroll to the bottom and click on the envelope, you can send Sammy an email.

I didn't have any luck with the pewter or the Wooten desk.

Next year, you gotta go!

Kathi, I found Sammy Smith! And guess what? I buy a piece of furniture from them nearly every year (including this year!). I just didn't remember who they were. Sammy has been battling cancer for over 20 years and now her husband, Jerry, has cancer, too. But they still have the energy to make and sell their minis. I mentioned you just the way you described yourself and she remembered you immediately. Unfortunately, it was late and someone asked her a question and I had to leave. But they have a website: http://happinessisminiatures.com/ If you scroll to the bottom and click on the envelope, you can send Sammy an email.

I didn't have any luck with the pewter or the Wooten desk.

Next year, you gotta go!

Thanks so much Gail! I'm so glad they are still able to do their miniatures. I've got their site open in another window and have bookmarked it so I can keep in touch with her!

Hi All,

I had to work yesterday and I was really beat Sunday PM so I'm just now getting photos up. I must say, Heidi and Dawn, your paintings really came out beautiful! Makes me wish I'd been able to take that class as well!

Our chandelier class was really good but it should have been an all-day class, it's true. Judy Andraka was our instructor and she is really nice and down-to-earth. I'm working this morning on getting my gluing finished up and I'm going to paint my chandelier as well--I think I may be the only one who's going to paint, because it looks great just with the brass finish. :o I'll get pics up as soon as possible!

It was so nice to see Carrie and meet Heidi, Dawn, Nathaniel, Judith, and Jen at the show though I really didn't get to talk as much as I would have liked. I met a number of friends at the show, including an old friend from high school, Apryl, whom I have not seen in 20 years (aaaa)! Turns out Apryl's sister is a miniaturist and doll-maker who used to exhibit at shows. Apryl has a dollhouse as well and plans to re-electrify and refurbish soon. I'm going to try to get her on the forum, I think she'd really love it.

Also my friend Wendy and her sister Linda came as well, and Linda has always been a closet miniaturist, I think. She purchased a bedroom set, some flooring, and other little items and has decided to turn an antique cabinet into a roombox setting. Whooo Hoooo!

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet Gail and I didn't get to say goodbye to everyone--I spent so much time talking that I had to do the last-minute two aisle dash!

I just want to say what a ;) WONDERFUL ;) group of people are here on the forum. It's so nice to not have people look at me like I've got a screw loose when I talk about this stuff, since we are all of like minds! I am very grateful and appreciative of all of you. Thank you for making my life better! And A BIG THANKS to Dean and all at Greenleaf who make it possible by providing the forum and the opportunity for community!! :unsure:

I'm off to look at photos of everyone's finds!! Thanks all!

Kate, I just love you!

You all should know that Kate is so great...I mean you know it from on here but just imagine her in person! I wish I lived next door to her. She would be great to sit down with iced teas and gossip with. She is full of positive enthusiasm..

Carrie, you are so lucky...Kate you are so lucky to have Carrie too. It was great fun to meet everyone in person.

Awesome awesome day! Best part for sure was meeting everyone, and I'm all B) over you all! I spent money, but did not go over budget, which is surprising and that includes gas, tolls and nummies on the trip! Pictures from me coming soon as soon as I have some time off!

Jen, good to hear you stuck to your budget! I am very proud of you. It was so nice to meet you!

Can't wait to see what you got.

I must also announce that I stuck to my budget as well, which as some of you may or may not know, is a HUGE accomplishment for me.

Last year, Jim Pounder had a table right inside the door of the exhibition hall. I stepped into the room and immediately bought one of his lamps because I had been drooling over them for years, and this one I love and the color is perfect for my SF parlor:

post-1855-1212848447_thumb.jpg

How come I never put up photos before? :jump:

Mr. Pounder was not there this year. At least I didn't see him. If he had been, I probably could have been tempted again. Shhhhh I didn't say that (I did sneak a credit card into my bag the day before the show. I normally keep that card in the freezer, in a block of ice, to keep from using it impulsively. But I didn't use it, I didn't!)

Anyway, that started the day off on an expensive foot, I'm afraid. I went crazy and I think I'm still paying for that day. Only because I had credit cards. Worth it, of course.

This year, I spent *ONLY* $130, including tolls, snacks, dinner, and purchases. Yee Haw! Oh, wait, that doesn't include the price of the class, but I paid for that months ago. Oh and it doesn't include gas either, but I only live about 30 miles away. If I added those in, it wouldn't look like I spent so little lol !! You see how my mind works?

BUT I spent CASH and have NO debt from this show. I bought almost nothing compared to last year, but I did get what I went for (the rocking chairs) and had such a good time. This year it was more about the people than the purchases. Smiles :congrats: all around!

Please, congratulate me lol :jump:

Kate, I just love you!

You all should know that Kate is so great...I mean you know it from on here but just imagine her in person! I wish I lived next door to her. She would be great to sit down with iced teas and gossip with. She is full of positive enthusiasm..

Carrie, you are so lucky...Kate you are so lucky to have Carrie too. It was great fun to meet everyone in person.

Aww thanks for the love, Heidi, right back at you! It was soooo good to meet everyone in person. Online is good but it's just AWESOME to meet the people behind the avatars!! :lol:

You all are the greatest!

Thanks, Gail. It is a big accomplishment for me to refrain from spending. It's not like I have unlimited money! lol

And that lamp is truly one of my most prized possessions. Isn't it beautiful??? And I found Mr. Pounder to be very kind and humble. His work is truly amazing. I can't wait to get it into my SF.