The Newport

Star

So I have several questions that probably should be answered before I continue to build my Newport. I've never built a dollhouse before and probably I picked something a bit hard for a beginner, anyway...

Should the foundation be smaller than the floor? My foundation seems to be about 1/4 of an inch smaller all the way around. It bothers me because how on earth will things be flush when it's done? Will the molding change all that? There isn't molding there so I personally don't think that's going to change it, but seeing as I don't know for sure what I'm doing... <ahttp://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/\html\style_emoticons\/tongue.png' alt=':p'>

The house has pre-milled walls. They aren't very smooth even after sanding and several coats of paint. Will they never be smoothish? Or should I continue to sand and paint until they are smooth looking? I'm a perfectionist and it's bugging me to no end.

I'm almost ready to give up on wiring the house. It's so seemingly complex. Which kind of wiring will last better in the long run? Which works better with wall plugs? I only have five lights picked out at this point and I don't really see anything else I like so I want to put in plugs and use table lamps for the rest of the house. Will that work? And it is practical?

So those are all the questions that come to mind for the moment. I'm sure I had more questions than that but those are the major ones that continue to haunt me. :o

Hi Star. The Newport was my first Dollhouse too. It's not really that hard. I know it can seem that way at times. Just read and re-read the instructions. Read all the instructions first. As far as sanding the clapboard siding...I primed and sanded and it still wasn't real smooth like the inside of a wall let's say. Just go ahead and paint. I'm a perfectionist also but I learned, or I'm still learning, that somethings can't be perfect. When I'm working inside the house and I mess up, I remind myself that the little people won't care 'cause they can't see it anyway. :o

I used tape wire on my house and all my other house's. I don't know which is better but I like the tape wire. Don't give up on wiring. It's very easy. You can use plugs if you want. Since this is your first house just remember to have the right size transformer. You don't want to have too many lights(bulbs) for a small transformer and you don't want to have too few lights for a larger transformer.

My Newport is on my Webshots page. There are a lot of wiring picture's. http://community.webshots.com/album/122421...ity&start=0 Maybe my pics can answer some of your questions. Good luck.

Thanks for the link! The pictures are very inspiring. Hopefully tomorrow I can work out a wiring plan and maybe even get some of the wiring done.

I'm glad to know the walls on the outside will never be perfectly smooth. I thought maybe I just wasn't being patient enough. I'm really ready to make some form of visible progress. Everyone keeps asking "have you got the walls up yet?" And of course my reply is no, I'm still painting. :o

Welcome, Star, you might want to introduce yourself in the Newcomers' Forum, too. I haven't built the Newposrt. Is it MDF? Sometimes MDF just won't sand smooth. You might try giving it a coat of gesso and sanding that, or spread spackling compound or joint compound smoothly on and sand that & prime it.

• 1 year later...

I have a Newport under construction, It was already started when I bought it, but I would have loved to add the 2 story addition. Now it is too late. Thank you for the wonderful pictures, my granddaughter would love me to paint mine pink also, that is her favorite color.

Hi Star -- I am getting ready to start a Newport rehab and I think on this house I'm going to use round wire. I used tape wire on my Garfield and while it was really easy, I find it just isn't as stable as would like. I find myself going back and redoing connections every time I move the house a little bit. As far as the walls, I've sanded and primed and then a light resanding. I like paper rather than paint but I do see what you mean, that wood is pretty grainy. Good Luck!!!

• 9 years later...

HI.  I'm a new member and the Newport is my 1st dollhouse.  I'm not too worried about the not perfect siding because its supposed to look like an old-kind of spooky house on the outside.  I'm thinking about adding the addition, or building one myself.  I also want to move the stairs,because I think they are in a weird place that makes it hard to have a logical flow of rooms.