applying siding

I used quick grip and omni stick, and loved the results. Instant gratification!! It's worth it! I'm not patient enough to wait for the wood glue on finishing toches like shingles or sidding! I've also used slow setting glue sticks on the shingles of the Adirondac cabin. They were purchased at a doll shop, and I thought I'd try it. It worked well, just don't know how long it will hold.

I like contact cement for a strong, permanent bond that you don't have to hold in place. With contact cement you brush it on both surfaces, let it dry 15 minutes or so and then, when you put it in place, you're done! Make sure you get it aligned the first time, though. No second chances :)

I always use Aileens Fast Grab tacky glue and its worked great. I havent had problems with having to weigh the siding down or anything like that. I use binder clips to keep it flat around doors and windows and masking tape on the corners.

I like the fact that the water soluble glue warps the siding a little upwards and once its dry, its flat again but always slightly up, not flat like when you use hot glue. It just looks prettier that way. I used hot glue on my first Beacons siding and didnt like how flat the siding came out. I like to see the lines and texture.

I used QuickGrab for the single board type siding, and when I ran out of that, I used Bostik or UHU which are similar solvent based adhesives here in the UK. I liked them for their quick set but still giving some wiggle time. Also, if you change your mind or make a mistake, you can pry them off again without hurting the house (although the board may not necessarily survive). It can be pretty hard to clamp boards due to the awkward shape of the Willowcrest, and it isn't practical to turn it onto its side to weight boards, so I liked the quick no clamp hold of the solvent glues. Make sure you have good ventilation though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to experiment with the quick grab and the thicker glues on a small house like a cottage. I like the way the siding came out unlapped. I did that on two Jeffersons and it gives the house texture rather than just the bare plywood but overlapping would look better. The push pins are a good idea. I have bags of GL siding because I usually don't use it but I really have to learn to put it on. I may get another Arthur and try it. I've been wanting to do another Arthur with an addition. I like the LE Arthur but will just get the original version. I like having stairs.

Pat, I use the GL siding strips vertically, without lap, for beadboard (especially the bathroom in the Coventry Cottage), and for that I used wood glue and then clamped a piece of scrapwood on top to hold it all in place until it dried, beautiful & FLAT. I'm with you on the LE Arthur; when I build mine, it has a treatment in mind and siding ain't it!