If ignorance is bliss, what is stupidity?

bookmarm

so, I'm working at the library and a fellow comes up to the circ desk and asks for tax forms. Well, I explain we don't have tax forms...haven't for years. He looked at me like I was from Venus and told me he couldn't believe we didn't have them...and the post offic didn't have them...and he was furious. I handed him a info sheet we keep that tells the exact location he can got to get tax forms (15 minute drive). Well, then he really explodes and says he doesn't have time to go driving all over town for TAX FORMS! I explain he can download them easily from the internet. HE DOESN"T HAVE TIME TO CHASE TAX FORMS ON THE #^%*& INTERNET! He let out a tirade of "Hey, people (kindergarten teacher tone is directed toward all the library about the stupid woman in front of him) don't you get it? People want this service! I mean, DUH...(yes, the idiot really said 'duh'), so you should provide it!"

I guess libraries are useless unless they have TAX FORMS, right? I had a very clear image of exactly what this individual was like when he was 15. I wanted to grab him by his button-down and shake him and ask why the &)$%&n he waited till April 10 to go chasing TAX FORMS anyway!

I do hope he hasn't bred! I want one of those library t-shirts that says "Don't make me come over there and SHUSH you!" :huh:

That's funny...I wouldn't expect a library to have tax forms....I'd expect a library to have books!

I'm sure all the patrons of the library saw the situation for exactly what it is...the man's obviously a jerk.

What???? You DON'T have tax forms???? :huh:

I used to work in a library...libraries and librarians are expected to know everything instantly, have everything at their fingertips. Good thing I don't work in a library anymore..now I'd just say something like "GOOGLE the d...forms, you idiot!!!!" :banana:

I would never have suspected that libraries would have tax forms either. What an idiot he is!! You're so right, Gayle, why would he wait until now to get the forms.

Sally, thank you for the chuckle. I can just imagine the look on his face if he'd heard that.

Our public library and post office provide tax forms. They have a display with them...federal and state.

Kinda stupid to wait until NOW to get them though. Duh! is right!

I use to go to the library to make copies of them. But, I've been getting them from the IRS web site for years now. Dang, it takes a couple seconds to get them downloaded, & you can fill them out & save them. What is his problem, anyway.

I understand your frustration, everyone wants a one-stop fix everything these days. I work for the State & people want me to fix everything under the sun for them. (They tell me things, I don't want to hear!) I'm sorry you had to go through that!

Naw, I've heard it all ya'll. 23 years in a public library, you get somewhat oblivious to all except those particularly talented SOBs (he was talented). We provide lots of nice BOOKS, we will help patrons find information and plenty of BOOKS (also cds/dvds/playaways/mp3s...but mostly BOOKS. We haven't carried tax forms many years for many reasons. AARP does provide tax assistence in some of the SC county libraries, but that has turned in to a nightmare more than instance. There are too dern many forms of forms now, so we just don't have the space or manpower to deal with it. We provide computers with internet access and have printers. This lazy jerk just wanted to have a tantrum. Wish I could have treated it like I did with my first born (who could throw a good one!): "go upstairs to your room/SHUT the DOOR/and knock yourself out with your hissyfit/come out when you're over it".

many libraries still do, but it isn't always a "library" thing so much as an outside agency setting up a stand with the forms. I got a call last week from an elderly lady asking if we filled out forms for individuals. It escalades way over our abilities and intentions. Our library doesn't have the function to provide forms/advice/passports/voter registrations. We certainly can provide info on where those items CAN be found in our community. Some folks still believe in fairytales like "Libraries are free". Like we are volunteers who stand behind counters and smile. I love it when someone comes in and asks for a book suggestion (I should be a used car saleswoman...I can hook'im up with a new author).

If someone comes in looking for tax form 2100a1.92(with exemptions for rental property in Myrtle Beach...hummmm).

Obviously his mother/sister and his father/brother didn't realize the effects of inbreeding. What a jerk! I wonder if the calluses on his knuckles still hurt as he drags them when he walks. Stinkin' caveman...You need the shirt that says..."I see stupid people!"

:juggle:! Back when we had a bokstore there was a trog who used to come in and spend the day reading (I guess the librarian took away his card), but he was gentle with the books and otherwise never gave us a legitimate cause to throw his a## out. When he wasn't consulting his umbrella ("should we look at this one?") or showing books to his keychain (we nicknamed him "Chainman" after watching him for an hour nearly killed one of our clerks with laughter because she couldn't laugh out loud; I finally sent her out back so she could crack up to her heart's content) he would ask us "interesting" questions like" "I don't suppose you sell sandwiches here?" (we were directly across the mall from a restaurant!) He still haunts our friend Ron Chambin's "Book Mine" store in Jacisonville.

Those of you who haven't gotten to work with the public are missing some golden opportunities to do yourselves grievous injuries with laughter.

I think my favorite encounter with the public was back when I was about 17 and worked at our local Drug Fair (similar to a small Wal-Mart). This 30ish guy came in on an errand for his wife...a large blue box of Kotex (anyone over 40 knows the ones of which I speak). Unfortunately, I'd run out of large bags. There was no way this guy was going to walk out of the store with a big box of Kotex under one arm, so he bought a roll of wrapping paper and asked me to gift wrap it for him.

I was very obliging...I even threw in a bow and ribbon for free!! He was quite pleased with his lovely package and left with a big smile.

I always wondered what his wife's reaction was.