garfield

luvmypoodle

This has been here for a while with no responses. From looking at the instructions it seems the stairs are intrinsic to the Garf, so I doubt you'll find anyone building the Garf who aint using the stairs. I'd contact Greenleaf and explain your problem and what you need. From what I've heard they have great customer service.

Is it possible to use the cutouts from the sheets to make new stringers from a new wheet of 1/8" plywood (or basswood)? You could either do the same for treads & risers or use craft sticks or basswood. What a nice excuse to modify the banisters & balusters :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had to contact Garfiled Customer Service because over 50% of my sheets were "bowed" and when I started I cold not get the foundation put together properly. They are AWESOME. Very helpful. PLease call them if you need parts!!

My foundation is complete and alotof my walls are up now! :lol:

I like your green tape, does it hold better than the tan or blue?

Well, it is pretty sticky... I stole it from my husband!!! Have no idea where he got it from. The blue tape is not very sticky and is usually mean for painting.. or NOT getting paint on things. The regular masking tape (Tan) that I had was not very good.

That green tape almost looks like green duct tape (you can get duct tape in a plethora of colours). Does it seem like green masking tape, or more like a vinyl tape? If it is duct tape I'd be very cautious using it, duct tape is notorious for leaving residue that can really mess up your paint job.

You may be right, Andrew. I'm not sure what tape she might be using, it seems my green masking tape is not quite as bright as hers and it does look as though it has been stretched which you wouldn't be able to do with mine. But would she be able to tear it if it were vinyl?

Now I'm curious!

Ok, Ok... I'll put an end to all your wondering! It is definately masking tape. :D It's very good, sticky, but doesn't leave a residue or anything. The snineyness may be from the flash. Thanks for all your advice, and worry! :)

I also got a few more pics up. A few bays and the tower roof is done! The tower look ssooooo cooooolllllll!!! :D

Jaimie, how did you find the foundation walls fit to the base? I started on mine tonight, and eventually gave up, Marg's in bed and to get them to fit it's gonna take, you got it, power tools. The slot in part 8 is too high, so when 9 goes thorugh it won't sit flat (it will otherwise). I could even reduce the tab, but there's more. The slots for wall 11 are too shallow so the wall sits proud about a 16th". None of the others do so I assume it's not meant to be this way. Did you find the same thing, or do some kits fit out of the box?

Jaimie, how did you find the foundation walls fit to the base? I started on mine tonight, and eventually gave up, Marg's in bed and to get them to fit it's gonna take, you got it, power tools. The slot in part 8 is too high, so when 9 goes thorugh it won't sit flat (it will otherwise). I could even reduce the tab, but there's more. The slots for wall 11 are too shallow so the wall sits proud about a 16th". None of the others do so I assume it's not meant to be this way. Did you find the same thing, or do some kits fit out of the box?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't remember EXACTLY, but I do know I used my Dremel on a few slots and tabs to make things fit here and there. I love my Dremel, and I'm sure there is even more that I can do with it. I think each box is different, depending on the quality of the wood being used at that point. I had/have a lot of splitting when trying to poke the pieces out. Lots of tiny splinters!! I will be using alot of spackle!

I stated in another topic that I will be moving within the next six months and the Garfield will not fit through my doors so I've have to do some figuring... My house is not attached (glued) to its base, the stairs are not glued into place, the kitchen section is removable from the whole of the house. Once completed, the porch railings and all of the roof will be removable so I can move the house in parts. I think this will also help with the finishing, decorating, flooring, painting, etc. Since I was not willing to do any of that before I put the house together. I needed more of a feel for where the rooms were and what I was going to use them for. Still not sure. My main goal is getting the whole house together (in its parts) and doing a base coat of white on every surface. I have not put in any windows either, since I am seriously considering putting in the Grafield working windows... (think I might make another post about that). Plus I will be doing electric. This will be the only house I build so I plan to go GRAND on it.

My father made me a house when I was about 14 or so (now in my "mid" 30's). Its MDF and VERY heavy. When we move I will have an area (I hope) that I can display them together. The house my dad made will be the Grandparents house. I want the houses to sit next to each other, on seperate turntables with a shared yard in between them... that's an idea anyway. Who knows if I'll actually have enough room for that!

My stair problems have been taken care of through greenleaf, they (GL)were great, oh,,,,,,so are  ;) the stairs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

AWESOME!!! good for you! I have to say ... "I told you so!" Funny thing is that even though they are a huge seller of dollhouse kits, they have a very small staff. Seems like a Mom & Pop store! :D But very helpful and nice to work with!

On the masking tape issue, I looked into this on my last trip to Orchard Supply Hardware. Green is designed to be more adhesive than blue, but you have to remove it within a couple days or it'll take paint with it. I discovered green from watching Debbie Travis' Painted House on HGTV and seeing that her paint wasn't seeping under the edge of her tape, and her tape was green. I love green!

I don't remember EXACTLY, but I do know I used my Dremel on a few slots and tabs to make things fit here and there.  I love my Dremel, and I'm sure there is even more that I can do with it.  I think each box is different, depending on the quality of the wood being used at that point.  I had/have a lot of splitting when trying to poke the pieces out. Lots of tiny splinters!!  I will be using alot of spackle!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks so much, exactly what I wanted to know. I found the best way to remove the pieces and minimize splinters (based on advice here) is to finish the cuts started by the die with a utility knife, the X-acto wasn't beefy enough. I'm using a Ryobi Knack Knife, though any utility knife will do, the Knack just looks cool and has 32 blades in the rotating cartridge. It's also very comfortable to hold.

Funny thing is that even though they are a huge seller of dollhouse kits, they have a very small staff.  Seems like a Mom & Pop store!  :D  But very helpful and nice to work with!

Thanks for the kind words!

Dean

OH! MiniMan (Dean) ... I didn't realize that you were part of the Greenleaf staff. I actaully even forgot that this forum was part of Greenleaf, because talking to everyone was so comfortable! :D

On another note:

I'll be going to my local Miniture shop tomorrow to get a very quick "private lesson" on tape wiring. Circus Dollhouse in Pompton Plains, NJ - if anyone in interested!! I will probably end up spending a bunch of money there too!