garfield

luvmypoodle

Jaimie, how did you find the foundation walls fit to the base? I started on mine tonight, and eventually gave up, Marg's in bed and to get them to fit it's gonna take, you got it, power tools. The slot in part 8 is too high, so when 9 goes thorugh it won't sit flat (it will otherwise). I could even reduce the tab, but there's more. The slots for wall 11 are too shallow so the wall sits proud about a 16th". None of the others do so I assume it's not meant to be this way. Did you find the same thing, or do some kits fit out of the box?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dogster- (and anyone else whi may be interested :blink:

Hope things are progressing along nicely for you. I pieced my roof together tonight. It took me so long that I never got the time to pencil out the wiring. I have some fairly decent size gaps. I assume it from how I put the house together... as removable parts, instead of teh whole thing. Hopefully most of it can be hidden by shingles.

I took pics but I'm beat, so its off to bed for me. I'll try to upload them tomorrow. Besides, who's really reading the forum at this time of night... except for a few looneys, myself included... my excuse is that the computer was on the way to get to my bed...

Good night ya'll!

Dremel's like saying Kleenex. It's a rotary tool, kinda like a mini drill, except high speed. It has all nature of attachments, sanding drums, spiral saws, cutoff discs etc. There's even mini routers, like the roundover bit I'm planing to use on the stair rails.

For big jobs there are dedicated cutoff tools, these look like Dremels on steroids. The Rotozip (owned by Dremel) is the most common, they feature 2 to 4 times the power of a Dremel. A Rotozip will run 50 to 60 bucks US, I got mine from Harbor Freight for 20, it's not a real Rotozip, it's just as good.

Most tools are made in China and sold under some brand name here.

Be aware, power tools can bite. Even a small sanding drum spinning at 3600 rpm hurts when it hits your hand. And it will remove a lot of skin.

Given respect power tools are your best ally, given contempt power tools are you worst enemy.

The Vampires, like me, read the forum at this hour. Thanks for the info. As for shingles, oh yeah! And corner trim!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Corner trim? Am I am I missing something? What is that? (looking sheepishly dopey!)

Pics are now uploaded! I use dotPhoto, not Webshots. Come take a look!!

Simply the trim you put on the outside ( or Inside I guess) corner of a house. Hides the edges of the siding and such. For some reason I don't see it used often on the Garf. Apply it after the siding, if you're using siding.

Regarding tape, I use white electrical tape because it's just what I have handy, and it works great to hold things together while gluing. It's stretchy enough to wrap around odd-shaped pieces and corners, holds well, but comes off easily. Just had to put my two cents in!

Jaimie ... Doogster -

What's a dremel?  What does it do?  Thanks.

Susanne

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Susanne, we have one and I have no idea what to do with it! I tried using it to cut trim once (mitring corners) and found out that's not what it's for. :blink:

Susanne, we have one and I have no idea what to do with it!  I tried using it to cut trim once (mitring corners) and found out that's not what it's for.  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For mitres this guy is far superior:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=42307

may I echo the kudos for the Greenleaf staff. The man I talked to at the company after I had painted my trim before punching it out, which resulted in its being impossible to punch out (ok- i thought it would be more efficient. i forgot that wood swells with moisture!) was a total sweetheart- didn't laugh at me, didn't sigh with disbelief and gave me a break on replacement cost (I think there was a markdown for idiocy that week).

I was completely stunned at the human touch. And very very pleased.

For some reason when we got back this topic was marked "read" & I missed the dates of last entry...

What's a dremel? What does it do?

Susanne, I have two Dremels plus an RDX (Black & Decker) for when I get a little more serious about "scratch" building. In addition to sanding, carving, polishing & mini-turning (stock 'way too small for the big lathe) I use mine as a drillpress & router and I have a tablesaw mount for it, as well.

I have a separate Dremel sander for detail sanding (with the shaped attachments). It's great for when I have something really too small to make going downstairs two floors to the workshop to set up the big power tools worth it.

When I say Dremel Mine's a Black and Decker RDX also, the 3 speed model, got it on sale at Home Depot for 20 bones with a few accessories. Got the Dremel Mega Set accessory set (220 bits) for 25. All the accessories fit the B&D. I like the RDX, the wieght makes it easy to hold steady, it's totally vibration free, and actually pretty quiet. The 2 amp Dremel is about 4 times the price. It's a really useful tool for small work, like minis. Dremel don't make the drill press attachment anymore, though in honesty for that in minis the plunge router attachment would work just fine for most things. Hafta get one of those.

to the cullens:the garfield.  I'm mostly a lurker here- thisis my first house and it is a slow process. I've gotten great help from reading others' queries.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Garfield is a beauty! Glad you're getting help from the forum! Be sure and post some pictures when you can.

Well I got the first flor down on mine. Interesting little omission. Couldn't get the right rear corner to sit down. Realized there was no slot for the tab. It was hidden by the tab that sticks out for the rear wall. It is clearly illustrated in the schematics. Fit great once I cut the slot into it.