Using fabric for walls instead of wallpaper

I have decided to make my Willow a partriotic house, all red, white and blue. I need to use small print fabric because paper is not available for this theme other than stars. I've never done this before so need to know should you cover the windows and door openings and cut them out after the glue dries or cut them out before gluing? If this works it will look great. The outside is barn red and so far the kitchen floor is a barn red print. The rooms will be mostly off white with the red and blue accents. The fabric I got is a very small blue print. The windows are the twelve light from Houseworks painted white and the curtains will be red and white and navy and white check depending on the room. JoAnn's fabric has a really good sale this week. Scrapbook paper, usually 50 cents a sheet is six for .96. The fabric is on sale also so thought I'd try it on the walls for a change. If this comes out nice I'll probably use it a lot because I'm running out of ideas for paper. I've used my favorites in almost every house.

If you are putting the fabric on posterboard first go ahead and cut the windows and door before hand. ( After you check your measurements. ) If you are putting it straight on the wall I would cut them after because the material may stretch. What glue are you using? I have had really good luck with spray adhesives.

I have some fabric glue and tried a little piece to test it. It works well. The spray adhesives all said flammable, etc., so didn't want to try it. When I put on wallpaper I cut out the window holes first. With fabric that might not work like you mentioned because of stretching. Even paper is a pain around the windows. A lady at wallmart said she uses liquid starch but that seems too messy. The fabric I'm going to work with is shades of blue with no white in the pattern so it should not show through, I hope. There are several coats of paint to seal the wood which are dry and ready to go. I hope this works because just the paint alone still lets the wood grain show and every little imperfection even with four coats, so it has to be covered. I put the upstairs room doors towards the front and the narrow doors in the Handley catalog just fit.

• Like 1

Do you have any pictures of your house?

I'll get some as soon as it starts to look like I want. I just put the fabric on the bedroom walls and it's a good thing it went on straight because it's on forever. I used Elmers fabric glue and it sticks fast and I can't even get all of it off my hands. I think stripes would be a problem with fabric because it would show any stretching. Mine isn't perfect but the pattern hides any mistakes in matching. There at least are no bubbles with fabric. :o

I asked earlier on this forum whether or not the spray glue was a good idea and several people said that it can turn light fabrics yellow. I plan to put the fabric on poster board templates and fit them in after I have run all the electric. This is all very tedious but when I get it done its going to be fabulous! Good Luck with yours!

I asked earlier on this forum whether or not the spray glue was a good idea and several people said that it can turn light fabrics yellow. I plan to put the fabric on poster board templates and fit them in after I have run all the electric. This is all very tedious but when I get it done its going to be fabulous! Good Luck with yours!

I thought about templates but how do you get them on smoothly? I just tried some heavier strathmore paper before deciding on the fabric and I couldn't get it smooth.

It looks like ironing and starching the fabric is key. And the suggestion was made to use Wonder Under or Fusible Web to apply it to poster board... I may try that... but I'm not sure. That's why I was unsure of what kind of glue to use. I'm running tape wire so I'm thinking that I'm only going to lightly tack the walls in place. Just like wallpaper its probably not going to be perfect.

I finished the fabric in both bedrooms. I used Elmers fabric/paper glue and put it on thin with a plastic putty knife. I started at the outside edge and folded the fabric toward the outside and unrolled it and just patted it down. I used an old credit card to smooth and flatten it. In about ten minutes you can use an Exacto to cut out the windows. I just cut down both sides and the middle and then the top and bottom. I would have never found paper in these patterns so it's really different. The glue is nontoxic and has a vinegar-like smell and it's hard to get off your hands. The paper will be on forever. It really sticks tight. I made sure the ceiling edge was straight and to the edge and baseboards will cover the bottom edge. The wall in the front of the house was a little hard to get to so if I do this again I'll fabric those walls before assembly. Since this glue is for fabric it shouldn't change the fabric color. It's clear when dry.

I went through the kids summer clothes today to get a idea of what I need to buy for them. I found a shirt of my sons really nice cool shirt with nice desings I immediately thought of seeing this post and had to share :) I can not wait to see your house when it is complete Iam sure the fabric will look stunning just like the rest of the house will.

I used fabric on the halls of my BH-I was able to find some great patterns! I glued it to card stock first, then double faced tape to the walls--so far, so good...it's been a year. Good luck :giggle:

I'll have to try the gluing to card stock first for some of the harder to reach areas next time. I put the window trim on last night and the wood sticks easier to fabric than it does to some of the vinyl coated wallpaper I have used. The baseboards went on easier too. The best part is the patterns available in fabric and it's way less expensive than wallpaper at $2.50 a sheet or more. I think the Willow was so easy because it's just basic rectangular rooms. Some of the other houses would have to have the fabric applied before assembly because you do need to be careful about stretching the fabric and have room to work.

• 3 months later...

I have not had good luck with spray glue. granted, I did not try it on fabric, but used it on scrap book paper on my walls. Worked great, until the humidity kicked in! Now it has a bubble appearance. I have read where people have used a polyurathane to coat it after they glue.

can't wait to see pics! My husband and I got married on the fourth of July!