I have an age question.

shutterbugkc

When I mention to people that I'm so happy that my daughter is finally old enough for a dollhouse, they invariable ask how old she is. When I tell them she's two, they look a little doubtful. So I've begun wondering at what age do most people give dollhouses to little girls?

The first dollhouse I made for her was just a little Primrose. It was for Christmas when she was about one and half. Of course, I used LOTS of wood glue which was good because she took to carrying it around with her for a little while. It held up perfectly.

Then last Christmas, at age two and a half, I made her the Laurel to go with the Primrose. I securely mounted both houses to a refurbished coffee table so they are steady and at her play level. She doesn't play with them a whole lot just yet (she's far more interested in whatever toy her older brother is playing with) but when she is playing with it, she's not rough with it.

Did I give her a dollhouse to soon? Most people I've talked to seem to think I've jumped the gun a little. At what age do most little girls get their first dollhouses? I really can't remember how old I was when I got my dollhouse. Any thoughts?

Shutterbugkc

I don't believe that you did give her a dollhouse too soon. Seems like she is good with taking care of her toys.

As far as an appropriate age, I am not sure that there is one, and it really depends on the child. Take my daughter for instance--she will be 21 in July, and I built her an Orchid. I just recently picked it up from her so that I can fix it because she has broken the front porch on it ...

I think as long as the dollhouse is ment to be played with and the furnishings are also child friendly as in if something gets broke can be replaced of fixed with little effort or expense...it should be at the parents choice. my Granddaughter is 4 mos old...she will get her first house from nannie at age 5 or 8 depending on her and her parents.

ceative play is so much fun to watch when what they are playing with is something you made for them.

if your daughter handles the house to your expectations than enjoy it and dont worry about those looks!

how much fun for you!

do you have photos?

nutti :lol:

DH & I made DGD's first dh for her wehen she was 6 because that's how old she was when it was finished. I have built dhs for families to give little girls as young as 2 and I've been told they play with them very nicely.

Following what Linda said, I built DGD a San Franciscan she got when she was 11 or 12 and her younger cousins had done some minor damage to it, so I told her how she could easily fix the booboos with Elmer's glue & masking tape.

My mother assures me that I remember correctly about having dollhouses by age 2. She mostly played with them WITH me at that age, and of course there were no tiny accessories that a little one could choke on.

But it's a wonderful age to teach a child to be careful with toys, as long as the toys aren't super-delicate. Go for it.

Hey, I finally found my way to the greenleaf forum!

Now to your age question--The Primrose is a darling little house for a youngster at the age of two. I gave my stepdaughter my old dollhouse at the age of seven, and it has stood the test of time for over thirty years--I received my first dollhouse when i was three--along with a train set and metal gas station!

So you are never too 'young' :D as if there is such a thing! :lol: Just reply to those people that you know ladies in their forties who still play with their dollhouses! :D

All the girls in this house from ages two to thirty two play with the house currently being built. And the younger ones have learned to play nicley with it. My sister & my mom stare at it when they are over here. I think as long a child is taught to play gently with one it is a good toy for them.

I made my niece her dollhouse when she was six. I only waited that long because I was building a copy of her real house and it took that long to do. If your daughter is having fun with the houses then she is the right age to have it.

terri

Thank you everybody for your input! Luckily, my daughter is a very gentle girl. However, I have left off the window boxes to these dollhouses for now because I didn't think she would be able to resist the urge to give them a tug. She currently has a herd of "my-little-ponies" living in her dollhouses. I guess that dollhouses are not only just for any age, they are also for any species. :lol:

Shutterbugkc

Shutterbugkc, I had to laugh when I saw your daughter had "little ponies" living in the dollhouse, my granddaughter has turned her dollhouse into a stable for her ponies and horses also. :lol: She has put all the furniture up and just loves having her horses in the different rooms.

When she is playing with my dollhouse, we just swap the furniture out for plastic furniture, her little hands just can't handle the delicacy of the real doll house furniture. :D

Peggi

This is so funny! Amanda, my stepdaughter, turned her stable into a bed and breakfast--because about a year and ahalf ago we stayed at a B&B outisde of Williamsburg in the historic area, and she loved it. She said the barn had been converted into a B&B and was someplace for the families to go vacation to.....

She has a Allison, Rutherford, a barn and my old house, and a couple of roomboxes that she and her dad built together. The little people also have their own horses and mini van to travel in.........currently her bratz are the favorites right now

Lisa & Nutti, I had acquired a Li'l Bratz & Li'l Boyz doll last year & had Buttercup & Sugarplum kits leftover from building to sell, so I'm thinking how to bash the kits together for the dolls. I both make & collect dolls, I just make/ build miniatures.

Well I think your daughter is the perfect age. I made the Orchid for my daughter when she was 2. She played very well with it. We are currently building her the Lily. And right now a whole family of Polly Pockets have moved it. We are having to complete construction around them...lol

We have about 2 good days left before the outside is all done. Im so excited.

~Spring~

I think it depends on the child. I got my first dollhouse at eight. I tended to be a bit rough on things -- so my parents told me -- I always thought I was being quite gentle :blink:

:D

:unsure: I had to laugh, because I think that was why my dad built my first house so sturdy--one on wheels! It is so well built, it has stood the test of time, even though there are no windows, just holes cut and a hole cut for the door, but the way he made it was extremely sturdy!

I will tell you something about bratz--my mother is also addicted to them, the little mini ones. So when she buys Amanda one, she buys herself one' I can't imagine a cuter doll to put in the buttercup, or the house you are building. My husband thought they were so ugly they were cute...... B)

My grandaughter got her house at a little less that 3 yearsold. The furniture was "chunky" wood so no one had to oversee her play to "be careful".

She ie 8 now- and we are building a bathroom roombox for her to show at my clubs show next year...why a bathroom?....she bought a lot of bath accessories at the show in April! The little toothpaste, toothbrushes need a home! :unsure:

My first visit-- got some learning to do about new site-- but it's fabulous!!

Patty Johnson

• 1 year later...

I honestly don't think there is a right or wrong age. I think it's more important to make sure there is nothing in the dollhouse that she can swallow until she's old enough. Only you can say if she's past the age of putting things in her mouth. :wave: I made my daughter a dollhouse when she was 2 and she played with it for years.

Kat

Both of my girls live in fear of getting pregnant because I keep telling them I am going to follow them around and tell their tummy "you will love barbies and ponies and dollhouses" So I imagine there will be a dollhouse waiting in the nursery when the baby comes home (with a barbie sitting near and a horsie grazing on the landscaping.