Little House on the Prairie

shamrockgirl18

so Ive recently got back into the Little House stories. I think Laura INgalls Wilder is a GENIUS- her stories are simple enough for children to read but interesting enough for adults to enjoy. Ive read most of the books by her, except for Farmer Boy and the LOng Winter and now Ive gotten into the sequels and prequels about her daughter Rose and her mother Caroline and her grandmother. . .

Ive been lucky enough to find ALL of my Little House books at thrift stores or at garage sales. My question is: does anyone have some little house books that they dont want anymore???

Ive looked on Ebay and Half.com and Amazon, and although the prices arent bad, the shipping is always very expensive and I cant aslways find the ones I want.

Does anyone have any? Id be willing to pay for them, especially if you sell me a lot of the books together.

Oh, PS: I really dont like the Little House on the Praire show. does anyone else LOVE the books but not really like the show? I just feel like the stories are not as simple and genuine as Wilder wrote them, plus the kids act way too bratty and i dont think Lauras parents would have let them act that way in real life.

I have them all, but definitely don't want to give them away, they've been with me since my elderly next door neighbor came back from a trip along the "Wilder trail" with a (now very beat up and well loved) paperback copy of Little House on the Prairie for me the summer I turned 7, I've been reading them ever since!

The reason, in my opinion, that the stories are so genuine and easy to read is that they are just the stories of her life. They are what she knows. Anyone who's every written knows it's alllllways easier to write with feeling what you know and what you've lived, or base stories in those truths, than to just make things up out of no where!

I never really liked the show just because I'd rather sit and read the books again :cops:

The show was mediocre...if you've read the books. I am now on my SECOND set of them!! The Long Winter is the one you HAVE to read...that's one of my favorites.

I love nothing more than to sit down with a nice dinner, open one of my books, and start reading. I first read them when I was about 25 and was hooked! They might be kids books, but I love them!

I found my current set at a used bookstore. But you can still find them in bookstores in the kids section.

And of course, I've always wanted to replicate the Surveyors House in mini!

Shamrock, I see you are in Chestertown...you are about a half hour from me in Easton...go to the Unicorn Bookstore in Trappe...he might have some. That's where I got mine.

I loved the stories (haven't read the prequels or sequels tho)....they were well written and well...genuine... as everyone has said. I used to watch the tv show however it wasn't as good and over the years it became like a soap opera. if it had any interest at all in the first season or two, it was lost in later series. Way too much drama. way too boring. and michael landons hair became an annoyance to me...lol...

I loved the stories (haven't read the prequels or sequels tho)....they were well written and well...genuine... as everyone has said. I used to watch the tv show however it wasn't as good and over the years it became like a soap opera. if it had any interest at all in the first season or two, it was lost in later series. Way too much drama. way too boring. and michael landons hair became an annoyance to me...lol...

YES- I def agreee on the hair issue!! LOL

I'm a huge fan of the books as well. I just reread "By the Shores of Silver Lake" last month. They are so easy to read and interesting. Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote a column for a newspaper as an adult and many of her articles are contained in a book called "Little House in the Ozarks: The Rediscovered Writings." This is a great insight into what happened next after her other books ended, especially since I found The "First Four Years" to be rather depressing. I really enjoyed this book.

I tend to watch the TV series because it's something I enjoyed as a kid, but I've kind of separated the books from the TV series. Yes, the TV series was silly and melodramatic and the hair thing I can't argue with. But I enjoy the early ones and I'm a big fan of Karen Grassle, who was a perfect Caroline, IMO. But the books were of course a million times better, as books always are.

Or what about the way Michael Landon would always repeat the key word(s) in a very melodramatic sentence for the close up. "We tried to save him half pint, we tried" or "He's gone Caroline, he's gone" I am paraphrasing of course....but it was something I always remembered about the scripts. Well...that and the hair! But he did introduce a lot of girls to those stories who may never have read the books otherwise. So I'll cut him a break :)

I've always wanted to read those books, but I never seem to have time. Now that I've seen all of your comments, I know I will make the time.

Two books I can think of off hand which are some of my favorites, but are usually thought of as children's books are The Secret Garden and The Little Princess. If you've never read them, you need to. They make you feel so good all the time you are reading them.

Oliver Twist is another of my all time favorites. There was so much more to the book than there was to the TV shows. In the book, Oliver grows up and you find out what happens with him through his life.

Then there are the All Creatures Great and Small books, another must read.

Sorry to be a bit off topic with the other books, but I think you will all enjoy those if you like the Little House books!

About 6 months ago I found online all the Bobbsey Twins stories....not the modern ones, but the original ones, that took place in Victorian times. What a treat!! They were some of my favorites as a kid and being able to reread those stories brought back wonderful memories!