Mean Dog Catcher

Tess11

So the gate wasn't shut all the way and my puppy decided to go adventuring. Someone called Animal Control. You know, he's such a mean, viscious dog. He might lick you to death or something. Anyway, my very kind, wonderful neighbor saw the dog catcher and had a feeling it might be Ninja. So she ran out and found him, called him and put him back in my yard. The dog catcher saw her and demanded to take my dog to the pound. She was very nice and told him he lived here and she would make sure he didn't get out. After a lengthy discussion, the Animal Control guy walked my yard to make sure Ninja couldn't get out, then dragged a bench from my porch in front of the gate.

Now, the best part. The nasty note he left on my door stated that the dog could open the latch on the gate. This is a real animal expert, let me tell you. The gate is hard to shut (that's why it was open) and really tough to get open. I have to pull with all my weight to open it (it's wrought iron). My 9 YO son can't open it. But my 40 pound dog can, according to this guy. He must have opposable thumbs that are hidden to everyone else but this guy. Yep.

Don't get me wrong. Saving animals is just about the best thing someone can do IMO. But the website for our city goes on and on about how licensing your dog and tagging them will get your pet back if lost, and their goal is to get animals back with their owners. Here is my dog who escaped do to a mistake, has been returned home by the neighbor who takes responsibility, and the guy is arguing that he has to go to the pound. Meanwhile I'm at work, oblivious to my puppy's poor plight. If my friend had not been home, my puppy would have spent the night in jail and I'm sure I would have paid a nice sum to get him released.

Am I crazy to be upset? I feel like this guy just wanted to get the dog so they'd get some money out of me.

i would be upset too. I would def call and complain about the guy. The animal control in the town were my inlaws live is the worst they pulled something like that on them and the have 5 dogs. Im glad your puppy is home safe and not in doggie jail were they prob would fine you for letting him loose and charge you to get him back. What towns do for money like taxes arent high enough

I am happy the furbaby is home with Moma, other than getting hit by a car haveing someone take away my fur babies is my biggest fear! Do you take him for walks around the neighborhood to introduce him to people, that helps associate the neighbors to where he belongs, that he has a responsible owner, and is not a monster. My neighborhood is pretty good about hooking something to them like a leash and walking them home. You may want to establish this idea when you find out who called. He is a member of the neighborhood as much as anyone else and should be welcomed just the same.

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts. Here's the thing. I actually am worried that if I complain, the guy will come back while I'm at work and haul the dog off and claim that he got out again. It's probably an unreasonable fear (especially since I have both gates locked), but I am so upset that this happened I'm very concerned for my dog's safety.

Look how threatening he looks. He loves almost everyone. When he doesn't like someone, I know there is something wrong with that person.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/1208731684/gallery_1697_1450_87691.jpg

I am happy the furbaby is home with Moma, other than getting hit by a car haveing someone take away my fur babies is my biggest fear! Do you take him for walks around the neighborhood to introduce him to people, that helps associate the neighbors to where he belongs, that he has a responsible owner, and is not a monster. My neighborhood is pretty good about hooking something to them like a leash and walking them home. You may want to establish this idea when you find out who called. He is a member of the neighborhood as much as anyone else and should be welcomed just the same.

Yes, he's out with me all the time. I have a little back pack he wears and half of my neighbors think he's training to help the blind, LOL. I wish my other neighbors were more like yours. You're right, though, if he's not hurting anyone he should be welcomed just the same as the rest of us.

Here's the thing... unless people KNOW your dog, and KNOW you...they don't really KNOW your dog. By that I mean, he may look like a real sweetheart, and he probably is...but they don't KNOW.

Some of us..yes, even us with other pets, like my four cats...are afraid of dogs. Yes, I know that sounds unreasonable. Maybe it is. But I was bitten..twice..by a neighbor dog which they swore was a "real sweetheart" and "would probably lick me to death". So...frankly...if I saw the dog running loose, instead of trying to corral him...I'd call the animal control, too.

I'm sure you meant to keep the gate closed. But somehow he got it open, and got out. Good thing your neighbor was there and got him back inside, and good thing the animal control guy let it go...this time. I doubt that he'd deliberately go inside your LOCKED gate and RELEASE the dog and then catch him. But I have no doubt that if he somehow breaks out again, he will be caught, and you will be fined, to retrieve him. Now that you know that somehow he can break out, I'm sure you'll be more careful..and should you come home and find him "missing", your first call should be to animal control.

I hope he has "learned his lesson" and stays home.

Where I live, all the neighbors seem to have gotten puppies at the same time. And at one time or another, we all had to catch someone elses escapee. One neighbor however had a dog who was an escape artist and it was on the loose all the time. I called the dogcatcher the 6th time I nabbed him.

I now have a puppy that is just the sweetest thing. She is, however, terrified of strangers and kids. She barks like crazy and the hair on her back goes up - but only if she is outside. Inside she is fine with both. So people are afraid of her. (I find it such odd behavior from her as I used to show her and she was fine) So if she got out and I was not home, I would not be shocked to find someone had called the pound.

All I can suggest is that you keep a collar and all necessary tags on her ALL the time. And get her microchipped.

First off, your fur-baby is an absolutely adorable looking baby! I'm kinda partial to 4-legged fur babies of the canine variety myself (we currently have three) and it must have been quite upsetting to discover that not only was animal control called on your fur-baby but that the animal control officer left a nasty note. That was quite unprofessional on the officer's part, imho.

Here's the thing... unless people KNOW your dog, and KNOW you...they don't really KNOW your dog. By that I mean, he may look like a real sweetheart, and he probably is...but they don't KNOW.

I have to agree with this sentiment too though. Even being the dog lover that I am, if I'm confronted with a dog that I don't know - have no experience with - then I don't know that it's not an agressive dog. And even smaller dogs that are agressive can cause bodily harm to both people and other small pets. Perhaps the person who called was new to the area, did not know who the dog belonged to and is not aware of your baby's sweet disposition? Beyond that, it could also have been a concerned person who wasn't necessarily calling animal control because they were concerned that the dog was a threat, if they didn't know to whom the dog belonged, they could've called out of concern for the dog being out on it's own and wanted animal control to come get the dog for it's own protection from moving cars, etc.

I guess I would be most concerned/upset over the nasty note left by animal control. I can understand and sympathize completely that they have a job to do and that they need to make certain that an animal that's been reported is secured where it can't get out - they don't want to be legally liable for not acting on a complaint; however, a nasty note is totally uncalled for. I would be making a complaint to this officer's supervisor about that person's lack of professionalism. If you made a formal complaint against this person, should they try to retaliate for the complaint - you would already be on record as having a grievance against them.

At any rate, I am very happy that your adorable fur-baby is home safe & sound with you!

I completely understand someone calling animal control. I actually appreciate that rather than seeing him run over or "dog napped" or whatever evil might have befallen him. What I am upset over is that even when the guy found out where he belonged my neighbor had to fight to let him stay home. Of course no one knows if a dog is going to attack or be nice. I get that- I am somewhat afraid of dogs that I don't know either.

I just was upset that he was going to take him when he KNEW where he belonged, my neighbor was going to take responsibility, and the gate issue was resolved.

The dog didn't get the gate open. It is a physical impossibility. One of us accidentally left it open. In my original post I commented that is is very difficult to open. I've locked it so it won't happen again.

He's like one of my kids. If you heard the story of how I got him, it's really cute.

Look how threatening he looks.

That is definitely not the look of a hardened criminal. You can tell just by looking at him that he's a real sweetie. Maybe that dog catcher needs to have his own distemper shots updated.

I had a close encounter with a doberman the other day. I was walking out to the mailbox when I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and saw an idiot walking a doberman without a leash. The dog saw me and took off at a dead run. I was about 10 feet from my garage door but by the time I made it thru the garage and got the door to the house shut, the dog was in the garage about five feet off my heels. I took six steps down the stairs, grabbed the .45 off Bruce's desk and opened the door again. If he had still been in the garage, I'd have opened up on him.........and his owner too if he'd been in there. I love animals, but any dog that chases me back into my own house is going to be a dead dog and if the owner is stupid enough to follow, he'll be walking with a limp at the very least. Fortunately for both of them, the dog had turned around and run back out of the garage and was in the driveway. I got the garage door closed before he turned back around. I don't know if the owner saw the gun in my hand or not, but hopefully he'll think twice about walking a doberman without a leash, especially when he obviously doesn't have control over the dog.

On the other hand, the beagle across the street is an escape artist and comes to visit often coz he knows Bruce will carry him back home and he gets his ears rubbed on the way.

Deb

Yeah, I don't get it why he wanted to take the dog. Maybe he didn't believe her. You should file a complaint or at least call his boss. Did you save the note?

Yes, I have it. DH and I were laughing over it this morning. "White gate was open. Dog returned to yard. Dog may be able to operate gate lever style handle." It's a door knob, Door Knob. A cat would have a better shot at turning the handle, but no way either could open the gate.

The violaton also has a spot for another violation which reads, "No person shall tether, fasten, chain, tie or restrain a dog to a dog house, tree, fence or other stationary object for more than 3 hours per 24 hour period." I understand that it's meant to avoid cruelty by chaining a fur baby up for endless hours, but I wish they would make up their minds. Dogs can't run loose, not can you tether them for longer than 3 hours. It just looks funny on the same paper. :)

I am so fortunate that our city`s dog warden is my neighbor (i live on a small dead end street). I have never had any problems with him. Last year I didnt remember to license Tyson.The warden has a list of all dogs in the city listed by street address and name. We are the first on the list. I told him about how Tyson was sickly and he basically told me not to worry about getting the license because we really didnt know how long the dog would live.

We have escape artists in our neighborhood too. I only get mad when the owner watches to dog poop in our yard and then does not clean up after them..doesnt even offer!

I completely understand someone calling animal control. I actually appreciate that rather than seeing him run over or "dog napped" or whatever evil might have befallen him. What I am upset over is that even when the guy found out where he belonged my neighbor had to fight to let him stay home. Of course no one knows if a dog is going to attack or be nice. I get that- I am somewhat afraid of dogs that I don't know either.

I just was upset that he was going to take him when he KNEW where he belonged, my neighbor was going to take responsibility, and the gate issue was resolved.

I don't blame you one bit about being upset about the animal control officer's lack of professionalism! Once your neighbor made it clear that she was taking responsibility for your fur-baby - then it should've been a non-issue on the officer's part.

And as far as the note stating that the dog may be able to operate the lever-style handle - it shows that the idiot didn't even bother to look at the gate to determine if the dog could or could not open it! I'd bet if you take the nasty note, along with a photo of the door knob on your gate and file a complaint with his/her supervisor - they'd have some explaining to do!

So tell us the story of how you got him, I think most of us here love fur-baby stories!

I feel reall sorry for you, mainly for the fact that your neighbour was happy to put the dog back and take responsibility........ I have a miniture horse, who can get out of a paddock, walk around a corner thru another paddock and then 100 yards to the main road! with out letting out his 5 paddock mates... Last time it cost me $200.00. Funny thing is where I live there is only one person home during the day, and the council has to receive a complaint to travel that far from the city, Yet the reasoning that someone must of let him out, does not wash with the pound guy, and the fine stands....I now have locks on my internal gates, a real pain when you go one paddock to another, but it's the only way....I always smile at the person who rang, and hope that the zap from the electic fence will be enough to keep them off my prpoerty!

So tell us the story of how you got him, I think most of us here love fur-baby stories!

Here is the story of how I got my fur-baby. I actually started a blog to journal his crazy adventures. The first one is the story of how he came to live with us:

Mini Aussie Mischief Blog

The fur baby definitely looks like a killer! Licking you to death probably. Someone must have called the Animal Control to complain is my view - probably some busy body neighbor of yours. But definitely complain! Such a beautiful baby, and the end result could have been costly for you not to mention the wear and tear on the puppy!

It's been a heck of a week. After a narrow escape from the dog catcher Thursday, my Ninja got into rat poison on Saturday. He's OK, thank God, thanks to an amazing call to Poison Control. The whole story is in my new blog:

www.miniaussiemischief.blogspot.com

I wonder what he has planned for tomorrow???

Wow Ninjas getting around. Glad to see that Ninjas ok. In my city IMO they care more about money than the dog/cat/whatever. IMO Its wrong to put animals to sleep just because no one has claimed them or bought them, one of the many options for example 'donate' the dog/cat/whatever to a non profit dog/cat/whatever organization there are plenty of organizations who would take them but yeesh. There was a add put out by our citty, that was unnerving IMO. "Lisence your pet or the penalty could be greater than the 250.00 dollar fine" *Stepping off the soap box*