4/27/08 How do you dress your Dog???

heidiiiii

I was watching a show about hot dogs and how they are eaten in different parts of the US.

How do you dress your hot dog?

Are you like me from up North that just puts on mustard, onions, and saurekraut? Or Do you put on other things I would never think of?

Coleslaw? Tomatoes? Beanless chili?

I think it would be a fun thing to read about our members since Memorial Day is fast approaching.

I grill mine, slice them open and put in strips of american cheese, place them on a bun and pour over beanless chili, mustard, ketchup and top with onions. Or just plain with mustard, ketchup and relish. Depends on how big of a hurry I am to serve. And I only eat the natural casing koegels. I like the crunch.

My favorite hotdog is a kosher weiner sold at the hockey games in Chicago with just a little mustard and washed down with a beer (which I don't normally drink but seems mandatory with a stadium dog).

But when it's cookout time at my house, hot dogs get dressed with mustard and ketchup, sliced bell peppers, tomatoes and onions. When I was a little tyke (60 years ago) there was a hot dog stand near my aunt's house. It was always a treat to go there in the summer. The house is gone, the hot dog stand is gone -- in fact, the whole intersection is now under one of the expressways -- but I can still recall the wonderful aroma of those hot dogs.

Here's a sub question: do you put mustard on hamburgers? I never do. Mustard is for hot dogs. Period. Hamburgers get mayo and ketchup. *slurp*

Here's a sub question: do you put mustard on hamburgers? I never do. Mustard is for hot dogs. Period. Hamburgers get mayo and ketchup. *slurp*

I eat a lot of hamburgers, fixed the same at hot dogs, mustard and onions, I hate ketchup.

DH & I don't care for what's sold as "hot ogs" but cooked & ate a few when the kids were home & little & it's what we could often afford. That said, when I get a craving (not so much since I'm de-toxed from fat) I used to LOVE what our "Orange Julius" store called a "sausage dog", with onions, sauerkraut, spicy brown mustard and chili.

Nowadays my guilt pleasure is to oven-bake 'tater tots and serve them in a bowl with hot turkey chili and grated sharp cheddar cheese on top.

I like my dogs with mustard, onion, relish, very thin sliced cucumber or thin sliced dill pickle spears, tomato slices

and cannot (and will not) eat one without celery salt on it :)

Ketchup is only for french fries in my book -

I eat anything... well at least once. I pile up my dogs with what ever is availible where I am: sourkraut, jalopanos, onions, chili, baked beans, relish (corn, hot,sweet,etc), chow-chow, mayo, marshmellow fluff and peanut butter (once in collage don't ask the cercumstances, but dude where's my car), tomatoes, any mustard, green peppers, ketchup, cheese,cole slaw, potatoe salad....etc, etc,etc.

I will eat anything. I went to a new asian buffet yesterday, I tried stuff my husband was gaging over (although he will NOT eat anything). There is even a comercial on that has something that looks like fried rat/squirrel on a stick, I want to try it everytime I see it. I would have been awsome on a reality tv show to eat seemingly narley stuff.

But truthfully unless it is a natural intestine casing dog I don't really like them that is why all the toppings! :lol: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

I prefer smoked sausage dogs, polish dogs, or spicy hot links to your average hot dog for starters. As for what I put on it? Ketchup, yellow mustard, sweet relish, and shredded cheddar cheese! I've eaten them that way since I was really little!

Chili, mustard and onions on my hot dogs. (Chili is supposed to have beans?)

On my hamburgers,mustard and onions on one side, lettuce, tomato and mayo on the other. Messy but sooooo good.

This is how I make and dress my hamburger..

I season the hamburger with a bit of seasalt and cracked black pepper. Mix it all well. I make two very thin patties. I put some blue cheese in the center of the bottom one and then seal the two sections together.

You grill it and the cheese melts and it is in every bite! You can do this with just about any cheese.

I never put ketchup on my hot dog..I just do not like it. The sharper the mustard the better.

I DO love chili/onon, but didn't grow up with anything but mustard on the dawg. I seldom eat a bun, nowadays. Catsup tastes yukky to me on anything but a hamburger. The boys are fond of Nathan's bun length dawgs.

Heidii, we do our grilled hamburgers similar...with cheese. I mix the meat with teriyaki sauce and then top them later with blue cheese or cheddar..numm, nummm...grilled onions on the side. SOooo good....

Gayle,

Bleu cheese (and camembert, brie, feta..etc) has become a luxury in our house now. But Fred does have Memorial Day off. Maybe I will splurge on a hunk of bleu.

There used to be a hot dog maker in my area of CT that went out of business quite a few years ago..cannot remember the name. They had the best hot dogs.

I also like Mucke hot dogs and kielbasa. Great to get a smoked sausage from them on Easter.

Heidi, I do the two-patty cheese center hamburgers, too. I love the melted cheese all through it. Sometimes I use bleu, sometimes feta. Am thinking pepperjack would be a nice one, too.

Have been thinking of po'boys, too. If you ask for a New Orleans po'boy dressed, they add finely chopped lettuce and sliced tomato. Period. Lots of people order them undressed -- just fried oysters (or whatever) and hot sauce. Either way, yummmmm!

Oh my do I miss Nathan's Hot Dogs - the ones we used to get in the deli in the market in Massachusetts with the skins on....oh they were good! Here you can only find Nathan's in the plastic sacks like other dogs, without the nice skins! Maple Leaf I miss too! Used to buy them also in the deli with the skins. Yummy! Sure do miss those two brands!

It's funny, because even though I'm not a meat eater, I do LOVE HOT DOGS! Now that probably means that there's not very much real meat in a hot dog. I like mustard and cheez whiz on mine. I only eat Schneiders skinny wieners - I don't like the great big plump wieners.

-Susanne