I need a cover letter ....................

kellee

I am so frustrated with the job hunting that I could scream. I really need to doa cover letter but I have no idea what to say in it.! I am going to be sending the resume to Doctor offices in the area for receptionist position.! I am really apraying for something but things dont look good right now.!

kellee

I hate doing letters also. I keep putting them off, but find that once I have the letter started (very, very pathetic first attempt) the edits and final letter just sort of happen.

I absolutely hate looking for work, so understand how you feel. Good luck, my hopes and prayers are with you!

Hi,

Do you have a copy of the last one you wrote, when I apply for jobs, I have a standard one that I just adapt for the job applied for, same with my CV, some times what's important in one job is not important in another...

Also a tip I was given was instead of listing skills by job (you know where you say you worked at x place and did this and that) to have a page headed up Skills aquired, and then list all the things you can do, one after another down the page, I went one step further and grouped the skills with headings, like Computer programmes used, Office Skills, People Skills, Office procedures that I can do....

We an employer has a CV's coming out their ears, anything you can do to make yours easiler to read, and understand (and get the info they want) Can make the drifference between getting an interview and not.

My current employer, got me to send rejection letters to the people who did not get the job I am currently in....They fell into several catorgories:

Those that did not send a CV/cover letter together.

Those that did not follow instructions in the paper advert. (He saw this as very important as if they could not follow direction to start with, why employ them).

Those that did not convey a willingness to want to work at our business (in the cover letter).

Those that where too hard to understand/too much info. (He said that he did not have time to read all the history of all the people so if the heading of jobs/business did not match what our business does, he did not go any further, with their application).

Those that matched got fully read.

Then split into thoses that had all the skills, most the skills, some of the skills etc

From these he rung 15 people to ask if they would be interested in an interview (from 80 applications) the graded them on the phonecall, the way they answered, the abilty to make a decision on the phone etc...

At the interview there was the usual questions, answers etc,

In the end one of the reasons I got the job, was because he knew I was the only one who had looked up the company website. This he knew because I complained that it was not under the company name as the domain had been brougth by someone else, and only someone who looked it up would know that....Tricks of the trade?

I have been in my current position 5.5 years and do still write the letters to staff who do not get the jobs. One question that is asked in interviews now is DID you complete your own CV. Reason is a CV can look areally good, but the person appling for the typing/recepition did not do it!

Maybe give us a sample of a letter and we could give you some suggestions? Goog luck!

If you don't have a cover letter already, the library has many many books on resumes and cover letters! Also just take a quick trip to a bookstore and you should be able to browse the books and take notes on cover letters at the same time!

Yes, the library is great for things like this. Our libraries sometimes offer classes on resumes, etc.

There should also be plenty of web pages about it. A Google for "cover letter template" should give lots of options.

Best wishes on the new job hunt!

Use a good quality paper and make sure it is not white. A nice beige or something so it will stand out. No bright colors. Don't use any fancy fonts or cursive style print. Be sure to run spell check. It is always good to print off the "final" letter then let it set for a while, even overnight, and then read it again. After a while any errors should leap right off the page. And, remember, spell check won't identify the use of a wrong word if it is spelled correctly. For example, using lose instead of loose.

Jerry

I saved my resume & cover letter in Word documents and whenever I went job-hunting I'd open the resume file and add to it whatever was relevant, revise anything that needed it, and print it off; then revise the cover letter to fit the job I was applying for. Doublespace your letter and don't use a type size smaller than 12-14 point, with standard-width margins. I also triplespaced paragraphs. One employer mentioned in an interview he was most impressed with all the skills I'd learned on the job and the variety of types of jobs I'd held, because it showed my willingness to work & learn, and that all of my former employers wished I were reapplying with them.

hi Kellee,

cover letters take a little time, since they should be customized for each submission. But they needn't be long. The main purpose is to introduce your resume and indicate your interest in the position.

For example,

Your name

adddress

phone numbers

their name

address

date

reference the ad if one

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am pleased to have the opportunity to submit my resume to your for the xxx position. As you can see from my resume (enclosed) I am confident that I have the skills (or interest or experience) to meet your needs - (put in three or four things you think the position calls for eg patience, good with people, organized, whatever).

I am interested in working xxxxx (their kind of business) because (think of a couple of good reasons).

I look forward to hearing from you and please let me know if you need additional information. I will check with you in a week or so if I havent heard from you.

Thank you,

type your name and sign it above the typing

enc. resume for xxxx (your name)