Home Improvement saga

heidiiiii

We had our first estimate today. Roof, gutters, re-pointing the chimney and replace any suspect fascia board. The guy gave us a $8000 estimate.

NEXT! LOL

Fred`s friend was there and he told Fred that he was very surprised at me. I did all the talking, asked relevant questions, knew what the guy was talking about..He says most wives let the husband deal with that stuff...He dont know me very well, do he?

I knew what a square in roofing terms meant, negotiating clean up and if they use magnets for the nails, etc. I did my research.

We want to get a minimum of five estimates. We want local references, see their paperwork, etc

I have a question though...Do we tell the next contractor that we already got another estimate? How to you haggle down without sounding stupid or cheap?. I am making sure I know everything before we make a decision but I need to know how to *deal* when it comes to the bottom line.

Doing some research I found that rip down on our roof should only cost between $3,000-$4000 because of the size and such. I do not know where this guy got his numbers from.

Any advice you can give on these points will help me greatly!

You may know this already, but make sure all the specified materials are the same when you shop around. Shingles (warranty life,weight and profile make a big difference) roofing felt weight, type of flashing (copper vs aluminum), do valleys get woven or flashed, do you get a drip edge, what profile and size is the gutter, and how they fasten the shingle to the roof. Around these parts $8,000 dollars may not be out of line for an average size house w/ architectural grade fiberglass reshingle, gutters and fascia repair. Certainly let them know you are comparing prices.

Okie dokie....thats my 2 cents.

Good luck.... and may the best company win!

I just talked with a neighbor that has to have a roof replaced. First, consider how long you intend to live in the house. If you are going to stay only a few years why pay for a 30 year roof. Roof shingles come in 20 and 30 year grades and maybe others.

When I had a new roof put on I found out that the selected contractor did not have insurance so if someone fell off the roof or got injured I would have been responsible. Found another roofer for slightly less and he provided a copy of his insurance coverage. Have to be very careful these days when everyone wants to sue for all kinds of things.

Jerry

We called one of the builder's supply places to see who they recommended...but we needed our chimney rebuilt from the roof up. So we were having trouble finding masons.

We called a specialty store - not a Home Depot type place.

We've also talked to realtor friends for recommendations. They usually know who to stay away from.

Just stick with what your needs are and don't let them take shortcuts to save you $$.

We usually get 3 estimates. If there's a big range, then we'll get more. We don't usually tell them that we're getting other estimates. We think they should expect that.

Good luck. We had to replace our roof unexpectedly, so it was a huge financial blow & really stressful. Came right after a major kitchen remodel that sucked up all of our project $$. The failing roof almost damaged the kitchen. My wish for you is a stress-free experience.

Heidi, we are having our second roof replacement due to hail damage. Not only do you want to see all the paperwork, you also want to go look at some of the roofs he has done and knock on their doors and see if they would recommend him. Also, don't automatically think that cheaper is better. We took 3 bids when we put our pool in and decided on the most expensive guy cause the structure of the pool was as important as the look of it. Good luck!

Don't know how big your roof is...but that doesn't seem so high to me. We hired local Amish workers who charge less, bought some of the materials ourselves...and paid around $10,000, for similar sounding work. And that was a few years ago.

Indeed, cheaper does not equate to better. Make sure they're bonded and insured. And when you get other bids, you can simply say "I'm getting several bids.." you don't need to disclose what they are, specifically. And make sure you get bids on the SAME work from each contractor!

He said they use a 30 yr life shingle (Owens Corning)and there is actually a 50 yr one too. Geez..It will not be my problem in 50 yrs..LOL

Sherr, he talked about flashing, drip edge, capped on the top of the roof..etc etc. We definitely need more then the two downspouts then we have now..they cannot carry the load of water because of the length. The company also gives a 5 yr insurance if anything happens. Here in CT, contractors only have to give you a year by law.

The thing that bothered me about him was he kept talking about all the things he was having to do at his house..repairs and costs. It was making me think *yeah..you need some money!* He was making small talk but not the right kind.

I am not looking for the cheapest by any means but I do not want to get rooked either. I am thinking of calling around to chimney masons and get estimates to see what they charge for re-pointing.

We have friends and people from work who will tell us about people they have used.

I really enjoy freaking men out. Here is this short woman working in the yard and then the mouth starts...LOL Fred just steps back. Whenever the guy asked a question, he would point to me..hehehe Oh..you know what re-pointing a chimney means?

I think what freaks me out is the amount of money we are going to be shelling out. I know that is for a good cause but it bothers me..You know what I mean? You are frugal about most stuff. Handing over a large amount of money makes me sweat.

I want to shoot for $5500-7000. If I have to let the chimney wait I will. It is not in bad shape but we figured since they were up there, they could do it.

Fred and I both agreed that this time of year may not be the time to do it. Maybe hold on to the money (no spending!!) and wait until the Fall. Estimates might be less because of the end of the season.

We had to put a new roof on 2 summers ago, and started calling for estimates. We have a small house and only one gable, the estimates were about $6,000. Dh thouhgt it was alittle out of line. One of our neighbors is a contractor who just built his house so we talked to him. The guy who does the roofing for his company does jobs on the side and he did our house with all the extras for $2,500 including 30 yr shingles, the dumpster and haul away. He did the whole thing in a week-end. If you know any body in the constuction business ask them. Those guys are always looking for side jobs for extra cash.

If I was you, I wouldn't tell them you've received other quotes - to me, you can weasel out the dishonest ones.

When I built my house a couple of years ago, I got 2 quotes for plumbing -one was $17,000 and the other $10,000 and I can guarantee the bloke I chose ($10,000) was far more diligent (a perfectionist) than the other bloke would've been.

Thank you for all the advice everyone and the support. I have never really had MAJOR work done on the house so I appreciate all the feedback.

I called another contractor for an estimate this morning..he will be here tomorrow morning. This has become MY job all of a sudden....LOL

I think for now we are just going to get the roof done. I then will call chimney masons to get estimates on that.

Our gutters are not falling down they are just old. With the way the economy is shaping up, I think I will sock away any money that would have been for the gutters and do a wait and see for now. I have to think about the winter (even though it is already over...OIL)

We still want to paint the house. Going to have to get an estimate on how much paint and primer we will need. Plus how much to have someone do the work that Fred and his friend do not want to do.

To be continued.....

Next contractor just left,,much much better. He actually got ON the roof to do this measurements, gave us a detailed estimate with local references, and showed us his paperwork and will send us a copy.

Roof and chimney: $4,500!

Much Better!

Still going to get more estimates.

That second quote sounds much more in line for what you want done. I also handle all the house stuff. When we got windows one company said both DH and I had to be there, another said it didn't matter. Went with them.

I don't mention about getting other quotes. I figure it is just taken for granted that there are going to be multiple quotes so give me your best price up front.

A word of advice, no matter who you go with, make sure you are on site when they are there, we have self built and remodeled several houses (tha's where we employed the subcontractors and we ovesaw their work, we have one more to build and I'm not looking forward to it).

Work was always done better, faster, without cost over runs when we where on site, go away and all hell breaks loose (more stories than time to type). Find out what the job involves and what they intend to do in a day, (ask for a timeline for the job) that way you can see what is being done, and be sure that they are making headway. (Not going off to finish or start something else, the minute you leave the house) As well as being aware of any problems as they happen, not a "by the way" at the end of the job, with a bill for extras that you can not argue as you are not sure what has or has not gone on.

Also make the contractor moring tea, coffee at lunch time etc, not only does it goes a long way, it means that they do not spend 1/2 an hour making coffee! (and your paying them for it). Also offer to tidy up at the end of the day, as here they finish 1/2 an hour before home time to clean up, and I can sweep up sawdust as good as a builder only cheaper!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Third contractor came yesterday. I think they are already a NO. It took them 3 days to get back to us and then they had their *guy* come and measure the roof (he did climb up). The guy couldnt give us the information. The owner would call us. I do not like the fact that they made us wait.

. I do not want a company that is too busy to return a phone call much less do work on my house. We have a fourth company coming on Tuesday.

Fred talked to the neighbors and the mailman...Boy! are my neighbors nosy...ROFL (me too) They all wanted to know what we were doing.

They all said that the $8000 was waaayyyy too steep for our neck of the woods. The second quote was much more realistic.

I dont know...if the first guy was thinking the roof was $4000..then that would mean he was charging $4000 for gutters. Now I have checked and just the gutters cost $10 per linear foot.

$4000 for gutters just doesnt seem right..Like the mailman said..You do not own a mansion by any means.

After this 3rd quote and 4th quote we will have a better idea and can move forward.

This has really gotten my backside in gear to start getting things done around here. I have been so not in the mood to do anything home improvement wise (structurally or estetically) in quite awhile.

Fred and I started watching home improv. shows again... Flip this house, Holmes on Homes, Gardening shows, etc.

I used to do lots of things on my own without spending tons of money but I lost the drive for quite awhile.

Do any of you have ideas or projects that you have done yourself that you are proud of? Making your own curtains? Putting down tile? Garden stuff?

I would love to hear what you all have done or are doing. I know that money is an issue with alot of us right now. Maybe we can give each other ideas on how to spruce up our surroundings without breaking the bank.

I wanted to say that if you love flowers in your garden but cannot seem to spend the money on new plants...start saving seeds.

I save all of the seeds from my marigolds and sunflowers every year. I havent had to buy either of those flowers in about 3-4 years now.

Still no word back from the 3rd contractor..no calls, no estimate paperwork..must be too busy..Bad sign.

Fourth contractor came today. Their estimate (not including the gutters) was $9000 give or take! That was higher then the first guy. And they didnt go on the roof either. They kind of eyeballed it and measured around the perimeter of the house.

Didnt completely fill out the estimate paperwork, does not offer any wood sheets, no references, etc etc.

So out of the four we have had out here..I think it might be the cheapest estimate. I have called all 12 of his references and left messages. I talked to 2 of them and they were thrilled with his work and would hire him again.

He is a member of the BBB..

Going to wait on the other references to call back.

So far so good....

I have called all 12 of his references and left messages. I talked to 2 of them and they were thrilled with his work and would hire him again.

I take references with a grain of salt. He's certainly not going to give you a phone number for somebody suing him for a piss poor job.

I go by references, looking at the work that they have already done, how prompt they are with contacting/etc, and I get a feel for a person. I have always been that way. I can spot a bad stink a mile away. I do not know where I got this *talent* from but no matter how a person presents themselves..I can tell if they are putting on a false front or if they are true blue in their attitude and dimeanor. Fred says it is freaky sometimes.

One thing, don't get black shingles, they have the shortest life span, i believe Connecticut is a similar climate to over here, No i don't live in an igloo. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The saga continues.....

I got the check to pay off the loan. It was overnighted to the place. It should have cleared already. Nothing. I keep checking the website..Same numbers on the screen.. I am ready to go slap somebody..LOL

The person that handles these things at Fred`s job is a old friend of mine (we sat next to each other for four years in high school during home room). She is baffled and getting really perturbed. She said that another person`s payment was sent out the same day as ours. That person has already gotten a new loan! Grrrrrr. She said she is going to haunt them until they figure out what is going on.

I hate being in limbo. Fred has someone coming over this week to give an estimate on painting the exterior of the house...

*grumbling to myself...please ignore*

Why is it when YOU owe money to an institution they want it NOW and you better deliver? But when the shoe is on the other foot...they can take their slow butt time with it?

Payment still hasnt gone thru on the pay off of our loan. It has been over a week and it should have been cleared way before this. They already took out a payment from Fred`s pay last week so now they are oweing us money back.

They cant seem to find the check (it hasnt cleared) and are offering no solutions to the problem. I will wait till Thursday..then I am cancelling it..(telling them they will have to pay the $15 fee) and re-doing this all over again. Grrrrr!

Just had to vent. It is the Murphy`s Law I tell you!

Something similar happened to me with a mortgage some years ago. Paid off. Additional automatic deduction from my checking account caused checks to bounce. It's the computer, they said. Don't worry, if we find we made a mistake, we'll refund your money. I told them that I thought they ought to take an ax to their computer as it seemed to be working against them instead of for them and that I'd report them for theft if the money wasn't back in my checking account that day. I didn't rant, I didn't rage, I just told them that. Darned if they didn't send someone about 30 miles to my bank and made the deposit that afternoon.

The fact that your check hasn't cleared puts a different slant on the situation, but I hope you have as happy an ending to what I know is a very irritating situation.

Coming from a family of builders and contractors, my advice from what I've seen is to tell them that you are comparing estimates as well as quality work and that the contactor that meets your standards will win the bid. It's better to be up front with them from the get go and let them know precisely what YOU want and need, not what THEY think you need. I did this last year with the concrete guys and ended up with a GORGEOUS and very well built concrete patio for @$10,000 less than what I would have ended up with had I not interviewed and compared prices beginning a year prior.