Gas prices contiuing to soar even higher!

sommerstern7

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is no consolation...but Americans pay significantly less for gas (and other fuel) than most of Europe. We (a generalization, here..) just love our big powerful fast cars, and can't imagine taking public transportation. And then there's the hard truth that in lots of areas in the US, public transportation doesn't even exist ... like where I am, there aren't even cabs, much less buses...

I can manage to "bundle" my driving so that I don't waste trips to town. I'm really concerned about what gas is going to cost to heat my home this year (I buy propane a year in advance; I'll be having to buy a year's worth again, this August..)

I am thinking about winter too. I have already planned on putting aside some of the loan money to pre-pay for oil for next season.

I thought this year was bad but next year will be even worse!

Fred still wants to buy a used scooter to get to work. About 3 of our neighbors have them now. But both the girls are still very insistent that Fred is NOT to get one.

What do we do? Both Fred and I have no problem with him driving it...but the girls would throw their bodies in front of it to prevent him from driving.

Bus to work is not an option. They do not run at night for him to get home and we live about 3 miles from the job.

We will see what happens...

Fred still wants to buy a used scooter to get to work. But both the girls are still very insistent that Fred is NOT to get one.

...but the girls would throw their bodies in front of it to prevent him from driving.

Is this because of embaressment :roflmao: or fear of him getting hurt?

Fear of him getting hurt. Which I think is so sweet and it shows to him how they really feel about him when sometimes they can be not so nice.

He cannot walk to and from work everyday...I mean it would make him healthy but 6 miles a day walking worries me more then him driving a scooter. Nat is going to have a rude awakening next school year..She will be walking to and from school instead of getting rides. Her walk will be 2 miles total. If it is icy or torrentially downpouring, I will take her or pick her up but we will not spend the gas money on the other days.

She will not be happy! LOL

Gas here just jumped up to $389.9/gallon. I saw a motorized rickshaw on the news on TV. They said they sell for about 5,000 and get about 80 miles/gal. That sounds good to me....except they only go about 40 mph tops. I think I'd have a lot of honking behind me.

Our central air conditioner just gave up the ghost last August, so we just replaced it with a heat/cool pump. It cost us about 5 grand, but is supposed to save us significant money in the long run.

Right now in our area of CT regular unleaded is $3.89 a gal. That will likely change when I pass the station later on today.

We are not driving as much as we used to. No more long lazy Sunday drives, going tag saling all over creation, I try to do all my errands on the same day and I have lists and notes so I do not forget. I walk down to the convience store now instead of driving to it.

I am glad we live near the beach..because it would stink if we couldnt go all the time like we usually do...I wonder what the beach is going to be charging for a summer parking permit??

$3.899 here. I have 5 miles r/t to work. I still go home for lunch, mostly to just get out of the office, but I might cut out that trip. I do one trip a month to the Big Burg. My bigger concern is propane this winter. I lock in a price mid-summer but expect it'll be a lot higher than last year. I considered adding a woodstove when I bought my thankfully small house, but then my insurance would have gone up and I'd be paying someone to keep me supplied with wood, and I'd smell like smoke all winter. blechh The only way Americans are going to be weaned from their gas-guzzlers is to make driving painfully expensive. It's hardest on rural areas, where there's no alternative transportation, but something has to force a change in our energy use and vehicle design.

Im also sick of how gas prices suddenly JUMP higher :roflmao: when it nears close to the weekend. It was 3.79 yesterday; but it is certain to be .10 higher today or tomorrow as we approach the weekend. I hope that whoever we get as president--probably won't get Hillary at this point--can help straighten some of this crap out; if it can be straightened out at this point!

well as everyone knows when gas goes up so does everything else, and it has gotten to the point where my days of leisure has come to an end :( . I put in a application for a job at a local hardware/lumber yard yesterday. I'm going to miss staying at home, but we just can't really afford it. Oh well such is life. The worst part about it, is that my husband is going to have to share the cooking duties :roflmao: , he's not that bad, but I'm much better :death: . I did have a couple of years of staying at home, that's nothing to really complain about....

im getting a bike not a motor bike but a bike one that hase to be peteled the dogs are going in a basket in the front its too hard to keep up with the gas prices since no one gets raises to help out with it

We are now paying $4.05 a gallon here. Terrible! Yes, I know that it is still a bargain compared to gas prices in Europe - but to us it's a big deal. this means now only one trip to town for our mail and groceries a week.

Keep in mind that everything costs more in europe because they have to import everything. And they all drive itty bitty cars with a million miles to the gallon. Those who actually have cars. They have great public transportation and everyone walks all the time. Whole different lifestyle.

I hope Hillary does not get elected. Remember it was Bill who enacted NAFTA - and all our industry immediately flew to China. And she spent TWO years on a national health care program and couldn't do it. She said it would never work.

We need to use our own oil instead of selling ours for $35 a barrel and buying oil at $120. Supposedly ours has too much sulfur and the EPA won't let us burn it off for fear of damaging the ozone, so we sell it to other countries who burn it off. Guess they have a different ozone. Gas in Saudia Arabia is 35 cents a gallon by the way.

Yes, I agree that Europe is far better equipped to deal with the situation than we are. When my husband and I went to Italy three years ago, we couldn't believe the amount of public transportation and how many people actually utilized it. What's more, it was (for the most part) FREE! Those who kept their vehicular independence drove these itty bitty little (almost triangular shaped) cars (way smaller than a Hybrid) that looked to me as if they were straight out of a sci-fi movie (like a DeLorean mated with a golf cart). :)

I, too, was going to comment on the public transportation thing in Europe. They have very extensive mass transit systems that are virtually free for most. When I was in high school we used to get European students over each Spring for a semester and they were always shocked at the lack of public transportation in our country. I live in rural Pennsylvania. It's not feasible to ride a bus. The nearest bus stop is a couple miles away and then it only goes about in a limited area around the area. By the time you get to the bus and pay, it would have been cheaper just to drive there. Also, everything is extremely hilly and spread out so bike riding isn't feasible, either.

I heard a report today that said it's not unreal to have $6 by the end of the year. What scares me is heating oil. As the price of crude goes up, heating oil increases, too. I can't afford it as it is. I live with my dad and we split the cost and even that is taxing both of us. I don't understand how really low income people are going to be able to heat their homes next winter. We're going to go back to living three generations on one house just to be able to pay utilities.

And just think, with gas increasing everything else increases. I read somewhere that over 90% of the oil we buy goes to plastics and non-gasoline products. Everything else is dramatically increasing, also.

I wonder why the media doesn't do a real honest and thorough investigation to why the gas prices are being jacked up so high??

Hasn't anyone noticed that the price jumped at least .30 cents more with the upcoming Mother's Day Holiday? It's so obvious what is going on but no one in the news seems to be tsking the oil company...It's going to cost me 90.00 to drive 3 hours and back to see my mom...(sigh)

Debbie, dear, WHO do you think are major oil-company stockholders? Or, to put it another way, where does the money come from that finances major political campaigns to run for high political office? Which political families are heavily "into" the petroleum business? and therefore do not want (and control) media coverage?

I live in Florida and I don't know if any subsequent administrations will ever be able to sort out the damage that has been done to the services sectors of our State government by the previous administration; but I doubt it can hold a candle to what's being done nationally...