Gas prices contiuing to soar even higher!

sommerstern7

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still holding steady at $4.21 here in my area...

But our lovely governor has announced that starting July 1st of this year there will be another penny per gallon...

Here in CT we already pay 25 cents a gal in state and another 18 cents a gal in federal on top of what the price is.

One week later and it's $3.79. It had dropped to $3.69 but went back up quickly. Don't suppose it has anything to do with the kids getting out of school?

It's scary when it's now cheaper to fly than it is to drive. Even with all the airlines are charging people for now.

Terri

When we went to town yesterday Seeley's gas was $4.25....we bought at Costco in Missoula for $3.79 a gallon. Unbievable! And the price of food has become very pricy! Shaming......

I just went up to the gas station for a paper and to fill up and it was $4.19. But as I was paying for it the owner was outside changing the sign to $4.25. :missing:

Three words...home heating oil. It's going to take most of my savings to just heat this coming winter. If I didn't have a little nest egg, I'd never be able to afford it. And there is no alternative to natural gas because we have no natural gas lines in the rural community I live in. It's also too small and the neighbors get from so many different supplies to go the co-op route.

Heard today on the news that electricity is expected to double in price in the next month or two. I have a feeling we're going to have a lot more fires and tragedies this winter because of people either not heating their home or space heaters causing fires.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so upset today. My mailman informed me that he called to lock in his price for oil for the winter. (most places start in July/August)...$4.75 a gallon!

If I fill my 250 gal tank 4 times (1 in fall, 2 in winter, 1 in spring) that will cost me $4,750.00. With a lock in price you pay that price for 12 months..so it would be $395.83 a month! Where are the majority of us who have oil and do not live with Daddy Warbucks going to come up with an extra $400 a month? $100-200 I could handle but $400 is insane!

I am very upset about this. We live in New England..last winter was not very bad but what about this winter? You cannot predict the cold.

I cannot convert to gas heat in my house. The gas line is not on our side of the street..so there would be a cost of ripping up the street, tapping into the line, ripping up the yard, tapping into the house, getting a new heating system..etc etc.

Gas for our car is the least of my worries right now.

And there is no alternative to natural gas because we have no natural gas lines in the rural community I live in. It's also too small and the neighbors get from so many different supplies to go the co-op route.

I don't know if it's possible, but what about having a propane tank installed?

I am so upset today. My mailman informed me that he called to lock in his price for oil for the winter. (most places start in July/August)...$4.75 a gallon!

If I fill my 250 gal tank 4 times (1 in fall, 2 in winter, 1 in spring) that will cost me $4,750.00. With a lock in price you pay that price for 12 months..so it would be $395.83 a month! Where are the majority of us who have oil and do not live with Daddy Warbucks going to come up with an extra $400 a month? $100-200 I could handle but $400 is insane!

I am very upset about this. We live in New England..last winter was not very bad but what about this winter? You cannot predict the cold.

I cannot convert to gas heat in my house. The gas line is not on our side of the street..so there would be a cost of ripping up the street, tapping into the line, ripping up the yard, tapping into the house, getting a new heating system..etc etc.

Gas for our car is the least of my worries right now.

Ouch! Reading about these prices is really frightening! Best of luck to you, I truly wish there was an easy solution to all of this, but sadly, I doubt there is one.

We will try to persevere. We are going to start this summer. Going to buy better electric blankets..(do not buy cheap ones, the sunbeam ones I bought last year died within 2months), the plastic for the windows and a couple electric heaters. We will hope for a mild winter but if not we will just keep the heat on to keep the pipes from freezing.

I know that sounds like *Depression* talk but some of us have to do what we have to do. I have some money saved from the work on the house and that will fill the tank once.

• 1 month later...

we had a nest egg started for this winter but now it is yet again depleted seeing as i lost my job. i am getting ready to start a new one, but it is only part time. i figure some money is better than no money, but still and with it costing me 75-100 to fill my gas tank and the cost of heating this winter is terrifying me. i can't keep my house too cold with a baby and a toddler running around. i am really starting to worry, and supposedly me and my hubby make too much money to qualify for any govt. assistance...lol. but with my mortgage going up 75.00 a month due to the increase in property taxes in my area, we are getting very frustrated with it all. i have to think about gas before i can even go see my mom or family. it's honestly pathetic

When gas was in the $4.3999 and a bit higher range, I could usually find a station in the big burg selling gas for 5 to 10 cents a gallon less than the stations in mini-ville. Today, everyone was charging $3.999, even the one full-service station, so I treated myself to letting someone else pump liquid gold into my car.

I read that gas stations were actually losing money on credit card sales because the fee charged by the credit card companies is a percentage of the total sale. As gas prices went up, so did the amount of service fee paid to the credit card companies, and that reduced the amount of money the stations made on gas in some cases to just break-even or less.

I read that gas stations were actually losing money on credit card sales because the fee charged by the credit card companies is a percentage of the total sale. As gas prices went up, so did the amount of service fee paid to the credit card companies, and that reduced the amount of money the stations made on gas in some cases to just break-even or less.

The guys at our local 7-11 told me that they only make an insanely small amount of money per gallon. Like pennies on the dollar. So the higher the gas prices, the less people will fill, the less they make. And they did say that credit card purchases were killing them.

Some places are charging different prices for credit cards and cash payments.

The guys at our local 7-11 told me that they only make an insanely small amount of money per gallon. Like pennies on the dollar. So the higher the gas prices, the less people will fill, the less they make. And they did say that credit card purchases were killing them.

Some places are charging different prices for credit cards and cash payments.

I'd rather pay by check but the nearest station won't take checks anymore. sigh