5/22/08 What Made You Smile Today?

I played Barbie's with my daughters today. It made me smile because they did not expect me too and they were so excited :giggle: Like Lynette said, reading everyones posts has brought a smile to my face too!!

Congratulations on the new baby Carrie!!!

I love this topic, the world needs more people who focus on all the good stuff in their lives!

Carrie, I'm sooo glad that you got to share what made you smile! That's such a beautiful image! Congratulations!!!!

Today, talking to my DH made me smile. He was telling me about how well work is going, and it makes me happy to see him so happy.

Also, re-reading this topic makes me smile. :giggle:

Yesterday we rode the trail from My Vernon to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge in Alexandria and justas we were coming into urban stuff a huge bald eagle flew just in front of us in majestic splendor!

Wolfie response to a question about a house:

" I know! I know! It's a pink one! Other than that, it looks like a Duracraft something........."

Actually it was more than a smile - I laughed.

Lisa R.

• 4 weeks later...

What made me smile was my 2 year old daughter. She was a premie and was only 4 pounds when she was born. Now she is 2 years old and you would never guess that she was a premie. Also my son with his puppy dog eyes asking to watch the movie Cars for the 16 millionth time and my 3 year old daughter begging right along with him. It is not often that those two agree on anything so that made me smile.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my Hotel (canterbury) out on the patio. My brother in law is coming for ice cream and cake and I wanted his gift to be front and center. Anyway my neighbors husband came and took a picture of it. It made me smile.

Today I had lots of smiles - reading the posts here - on this thread and other ones; watching our three cats and their antics; spending time in the car beside my son (he has his G1 - learner - driving licence) - who has developed a way of quirking an eyebrow and furrowing his forehead while looking at me sideways - very Clark Gable, not that he'd know it; getting a phone call from my daughter to let us know that she arrived back safely, from a cottage holiday with a friend. :lol:

No GKs here yet! My daughter's golden retriever. He is a sweet total nut always wanting to play. And he squeeks! Whenever one of his toys gets pushed under the furniture or out of bounds, he lays there nose as close as he can get to it and he squeeks at it. Repeatedly! Do not know where that comes from but it has us all in stitchs.

Doug's face when I took his birthday cake to him this morning around 7AM. I cooked it at 5AM ...... I had painted in frosting #77 on the top of the cake........ And I also smiled as I made a reservation to dinner out. He's so depressed over his age, and this is a real treat so when he is smiling! I am too!!!!! Yep, today is Doug's birthday!

Happy Birthday to Doug!! :wave: He's had a tough year..you both have..and you deserve a lovely night out!

A neat thread....what makes me smile? If I wake up in the morning, and I'm still alive, it's a good day and I start smiling! :D

Today it has to be the phone call I just got from an old friend that I haven't talked to in over 20 years. We were very close girlfriends for several years -- then she got a job in another state, and I moved half-way across the country in the opposite direction, so we lost track of each other. I've thought about her a lot over the years, and tried without success to find her over the internet... But she found ME!! (She moved a lot, got married, name changed; I, on the other hand, have had the same last name for 40 years...) And the GOOD news is -- she is just one state away! Anyway, we had a lovely talk, seemed like we just picked up where we'd left off, 20+ years ago. I hope we continue to keep in touch, now. If this continues, she's near enough that we could actually connect. Now that would make me smile!!

My cats always make me smile. Twiggy has learned to open the cabinet where I keep their food. I put the food in the dishes, she looks at it, then at me and goes to the cabinet and opens it like she'll find something better. It makes me smile every time. :wave:

What made me smile today was seeing the hundred's of tomatoes growing on my tomato plants! And peppers on the pepper plants! And the glorious hummingbirds at their feeders! I always smile when I see them!

P.S. We had a lovely dinner out yesterday! Ate too much, but enjoyed the heck out of the restaurant! Where else but in Montana can you go to a lovely log cabin, decorated with animal heads, and the table elegantly set with real linens, candles, and roses at each table, with a view out the window of a pasture full of beautiful horses? Only in Montana!

My cats definitely make me smile everyday. All they have to do is look at me and I'm smiling.

I was visiting my parents today (after having a root canal - ugg!) and Mum and I were discussing losing some weight. Dad has become quite hard of hearing, and when Mum said that hypnosis can sometimes work for people, he thought she said "hit noses". I told him I thought that would work better than hypnosis! Every time you open the fridge, someone shows up with a rolled up newspaper and hits you on the nose - I think it would work with me! :) Dad often thinks we've said the oddest things - this doesn't only make me smile, it makes me laugh, too.

• 6 months later...

I smiled today as J-F, who had his life turned upside-down and backwards two weeks ago then had a bout with the flu wednesday night and missed more school, went off to an out-of-town hockey tournament with his dad well enough and ready to play! I'll miss them as they won't be home until tomorrow night, but I am so happy for him that life can become a 'new normal' when he is not sick.

If that can't make me smile, then pretty much nothing can! :wave:

Liza, reading your post has made me smile! I'm very glad to hear that your son has adjusted to his new way of life and is enjoying himself. (Sorry to hear he was sick, of course.) ;)

We are still adjusting, of course, but we are trying to make diabetes adjust to his life, not adjust his life to diabetes, if you understand what I mean. Simply put, life first, then diabetes is fit in.