5/22/08 What Made You Smile Today?

If your diabetes nurse-educator is any good, that's his/ her message!

We had a real smile-fest at the grocery store Friday, the lady ahead of us in line started to chat, said we reminded her of someone; after several minutes we all realized she lives next door to the house across the street from us! Too funny, we;ve been neighbors for 18 years!

Princess made me smile this morning......I put her coat on her and sent her out and she stepped out on the deck in the frosty air and did an about face and came flying back inside. Then as I was taking her coat off (she is like a one year old getting in and out of her coat) she kissed me on the nose. So sweet. It's going to be hard to lose her but I have many many many smiles about her. She's my baby!

BIG SMILES here! My son and his team, the Ice Wolves, won their hockey tournament tonight!!! Final game: won 3-2 it overtime, with J-F assisting on the final goal!

:roflmao::):(:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:

(wanted to put 16, one for each player on the team, but can't!)

I had another big smile on my face last night. On the way home from hockey, J-F decided that he wanted to get me something. My DH asked him what, and he suggested a birthday cake since we couldn't go out for supper. This from a child who knew full well that he probably would not even be able to eat a piece of the cake! Well, they went to the grocery store and J-F picked a fresh cheesecake covered in assorted fruits, since he remembered I like cheesecake. What a wonderful youth he is growing up to be (usually - kids will be kids after all), and he won't even be 10 until April! It's enough to make me teary-eyed sometimes.

And, yes, the older two are also generally very thoughtful and considerate. I think I will count myself lucky with these kids, in spite of the medical challenges each one has.

From a very proud mother!

My daughters little yorkie. She is hilarious. My daughter went to the car wash and when she went to vacuum the car the poor little baby was so scared of the noise that she ran up the drivers seat and into the circle that is in the middle of the head rest. all you could see was her tiny little bottom wiggling in there. Don't know why but it was totally funny, would have never dreamed she would of hid there!

Buddy gave me a toy put it on my lap and groaned like I do when I get up in the morning because, I didn't play tug with it right away, he groans just like us It might be purring. . .

• 5 years later...

My scale. I am overweight and it got way out of hand. So in the new year 1 of January I decided I go on a diet. Actually I count my calories and I exercise every day. This morning I went on it and it said I lost 46 pounds. :cheer: So I am one excited girl today. Hope you all have a great one too.

• Like 2

I was visiting my parents today (after having a root canal - ugg!) and Mum and I were discussing losing some weight. Dad has become quite hard of hearing, and when Mum said that hypnosis can sometimes work for people, he thought she said "hit noses". I told him I thought that would work better than hypnosis! Every time you open the fridge, someone shows up with a rolled up newspaper and hits you on the nose - I think it would work with me! wink.gif Dad often thinks we've said the oddest things - this doesn't only make me smile, it makes me laugh, too.

It helps to have a sense of humor, as I see you do. I live with three senior citizens, two who are hard of hearing, and while they can try my patience on some days, they are often very funny.

Years ago when the Hanson brothers were in concert, my mother was sipping coffee as she was watching TV. A news commentator, announcing the upcoming news, said, "Hanson comes home," as I guess the group was going to appear in their home town as part of their concert tour. My mother nearly spilled her coffee as she jumped back, looked at me, and said, "What? Manson's coming home?" She thought they were letting Charlie Manson out of jail. I laughed for about five minutes before I could explain.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My tulips are making me smile. I never thought they would take off so well when I planted them in the fall.

Also, while this isn't anything to laugh about, I did take comfort in some comic relief today. Ginny, a friend of mine and the mother of one of my niece's friends, lost her husband a few days ago, and his obituary just appeared online. What made me smile was that Ginny included their cats among her husband's survivors. It made me smile because that was so Ginny-like, and I am somewhat relieved that her personality can shine through in moments of grief.

I know this will make some people, like my 93-year-old aunt, raise their eyebrows, as years ago it was only standard protocol to include certain people among survivors. However, my theory is that anything anyone can do to provide comfort during a difficult time should not be frowned upon simply because it isn't the norm.

• Like 3

Seeing Lloyd enjoying a cartoon movie about a zebra who only has half his stripes made me smile today. :)

That would make me smile too, although I have a tendency to cry when watching cartoons - more so than if I watch something sad or challenging with human actors.