5/22/08 What Made You Smile Today?

• 2 weeks later...

While this probably goes without saying, my dollhouse makes me smile. It is one of the first things I set my eyes on in the morning, and it is one of the last things I look at before going to bed in the evening.

• Like 2

Orange. He's a neighbour cat that comes into the yard to visit. I'll have to share a story about Orange and his brothers, Chewy, Smokey and Oreo. They live down the street and come into our garden everyday. Anyone that knows me from way back is aware I have a fondness for big male tomcats. These four boys come into our yard and are so delightful. My two old girls are aging and not very sociable.

• Like 2

Today we were running errands and on the way DH decided to hunt for a dentist, since he has another incisor that's on its way out. The first place isn't open on Friday but the second one is cleaning up from last week's flood and invited us so nicely to return next week that I think DH has decided to go. Anyway, while we were talking to the staff I kept hearing a yowling and looked down, and there was the tiniest tuxedo kitten I have ever seen in a cloth portable cage hollering for its mommy something pitiful. It turns out that the lady we were talking to found it in a tree in her yard, terrified out of its wits (and surrounded by water) and she rescued it. Gave me warm fuzzies for the rest of the day.

• Like 3

Lawson's Baccalaureate was today. They introduced each graduate and stated all their accomplishments. I was so proud. He got the 2nd highest number of community service hours, at 818 hours. He also earned 2 Microsoft certifications. Watching him today made me smile. :)

• Like 3

Oh,I know how sweet that is,Tracy-our children are our best delights on Earth! Mine have had me smiling for 25 and 23 years and I am so happy to 'hear' another mother who is so proud of hers!!:) Congratulations to Lawson!

I smiled silly,big smiles all alone today when I got a bunch more raking done before the rain starts and then discovered enough ripe dewberries to make a cobbler and have some to spare. Silly,but it made me smile-my yard looks great and I get cobbler this weekend!LOL!

• Like 2

I woke up this morning got my coffee and got on the lappy. I got a PN from my daughter wishing me a early Mothersday telling me that I am an awsome mom and a wonderful Oma (grandma) to my grandkids. She wont be home this weekend but we will skype next week so this really made my day and knowing to see them next week makes me feel all warm inside.

• Like 1

Oh,I know how much that meant to you,Anya! I don't have a camera on my computer,so I've never Skyped,but it seems like such a wonderful thing!! So glad you got to spend time with your loved ones that way!

I went to Walmart with my mother earlier today and I came home with a big grin-I bought myself three pretty shirts marked down to $5 a piece-and I had started out with just one for $13-it got put back very quickly when I came across these other 3. LOL Loooove a bargain-makes me smile every time! :)

• Like 1

We dropped off a box of donations at our closest thrift store and there was a Hispanic family there with several extremely well-behaved children that made both of us smile. Then we went to a local art show and I saw some lovely creations made from recycled materials. The one that I truly wanted to buy (and would have, if we'd brought more $$$) was a large leaded glass piece that incorporated art glass and odd pieces of glassware (plates, compote lids, small bowls, etc). Another vendor had sealife sculptures he'd made from scraps of rebar and other building elements and hardware. There was also a man who made planters and swings from tires.

• Like 2

Holly- that reminds me of the Recycled Arts Fair that happens in Vancouver, WA every July in the Esther Short Park. I love seeing all of the wonderful things! One year my daughter bought a bird feeder made from a teacup, and last year I bought a "stone goldfish" for my front garden: a little roundish stone for his body and recycled copper formed his fan tail and fins. He makes me smile every time I see him! I wanted to get another one or two on our visit this year, but we weren't anywhere near the shop that sells them, and my daughter isn't going to be in town over that July weekend this year. :( I KNEW I shoulda bought two when I had the chance! Might have to scour the internet for his creations.....

• Like 1

During our return trip from the West Coast this past weekend, we found ourselves stuck in Chicago for three additional hours due to a delay in our connecting flight. Our little group decided to treat ourselves to a nice dinner at one of the airport restaurants. The tables were in close proximity to one another, so we could not help but overhear the conversation at the table across from us. There was a handsome young man (looked college-age) chatting with, most likely, his mother. He was tall and muscular, with a barbed wire tattoo across his bicep.

What made us smile, was the fact that this hulking young man was telling animated stories about - - - his cat, Zeus. :)

Love it. :)

• Like 1

I love recycled art and didn't know about the fair at Esther Short Park. Thanks for the info Jackie. We go to the Sandy Mountain Festival the second weekend of July every year and have for 40 years. Lots of smiles there. But here was my silly smile of the weekend.

My husband and I are planning a new rv rehab. (We have had 3 rv's in 9 years of marriage) This time, we plan to redo an old tiny rv. We will gut it (so will only purchase one that requires such extreme reno) and then cram every feature we need inside. While discussing this, I ran across a vintage rv kit on ebay. Nothing I would buy, but...my husband is now EAGERLY designing an rv with me so we can build it soon. A 1:12 rv! Instead of building a mini that looks like a real life item, we plan to build a mini so we can practice for the real thing being built. It made me smile when I realized what we were doing.

• Like 1

I had a couple of nice things to smile about today:

My younger son's girlfriend emailed me several photos of them together,dressed up for a couple of dances and other events they attended this last year. (She just graduated Saturday from his alma mater,2013.) They looked so nice and make such a sweet couple! I don't want to get ahead of myself,but I couldn't help daydreaming about them in wedding clothes!hehe (Hey,I need some grandchildren!):D

The other smile was when I looked out my front window and saw about a half dozen Grey squirrels in the yard. We've been using a nice metal birdbath as a seed feeder and they were having a blast at it! We lost the Greys and also the Fox Squirrels here while we had the yard cats. But now that there aren't 8 felines to contend with,the little grey guys are back home! I love it! I'll have to get a larger bag of seed next time we shop!:) Maybe the Fox squirrels will come back now-that will really make me smile,as they are such clowns!!

• Like 1

Several things made me smile tonight and every time I thought, 'I'll have to remember to tell the forum' :) Thank you all for the many reminders to smile :)

1) OK, this made me smile but...perhaps my sense of humor is a bit twisted...hmm...probably not :) Early yesterday morning, a serious crime occured across the street from the house of a dear friend of mine. He is understandably shook up but stating he isn't moving, just arming himself. I sent him photos of me using my Easy Cutter tonight and my clamps. I had to laugh. No wonder working on mini's relieves stress :) We work with dangerous tools!

2) I figured out how to listen to music AND be on the forum, both on my phone, at the same time :)

3) After I started checking out new posts this time around and writing something, I heard two different all time classic songs I LOVE LOVE LOVE and have real life connections to that are important memories for me. I got to thinking how important music is in my life and how much I love listening to music when I work on my mini's :)

And...now that I think about it, one of those connections is a story with a very important lesson. Another dear friend of mine is a musician. Fairly successful. One day, this song came on the radio and as ANYONE 60ish? and younger would do, I smiled and began to move. He smiled and commented 'I wrote that song'. He was serious. The big band had actually pirated my friends original song when his band performed at a small venue in Hollywood. I asked why he didn't sound angry. 'Are you kidding?' He stated calmly, 'We will NEVER be (that band) and every time I hear this song on the radio I know it's mine'. Anyway, that happened decades ago...hmmm, yea...like over 3 decades, wow...but anyway, I eventually got to see the big band perform the song live and it was pretty amazing. Big reminder of feeling good about who we are and not someone we might see as more.

• Like 1

Morgan, one of my all-time favorite early RVs is this original "tin can camper" at the FL History Museum in Tallahassee: http://tallydailyphoto.blogspot.com/2009/10/tin-can-camper.html Some of these might be what y'all are looking for.

Holly, thank you. Do you 'have a thing' for vintage rv's too? I love that camper and always have. I like to imagine the stories of people who first built traveling homes. The tin can tourist era is fascinating to me. When I was a kid in the 60's, our friends had a camper that sat in their back yard. We got to play in it. I never saw another rv until I was maybe 10 or 11. They fascinated me. I played Barbie's almost every day for years. What I did was make them rv's. My Dad gave me a huge selection of boxes in graduated sizes (parts boxes for his motorcycle shop) and I used them like lego's and made a different rv anytime the mood struck. No doubt this encouraged my miniatures building.

Thanks for the share holly.

When we were at 3 Rivers State Park Easter weekend one of our friends had a vintage Airstream they had refininshed the interior; it was awesome! It was also huge. We are on our second RV and it's over six years old. We are planning to downsize, as thie one is really much too big for us now. For a while we were looking at Class B units, but the ones we liked best were the coach House and they are ungodly expensive! We also looked long & hard at the MPG, but the bathroom is really so small it's silly! There are a couple of 20'-23' units that we are thinking abouut now.

RV's, getting as much as possible in as small of a space as possible, and having it look GOOD is something I truly enjoy. Do you enjoy figuring out what you need and what is most economical and versatile in the long run? We are looking at putting a tiny bathroom, tiny kitchen and three twin beds (one as a bunk that becomes a cabinet when not in use) into a 13' trailer. Lightweight. Tow with a good mileage suv. We will organize extra stuff in and on the car in totes and a car pod when needed. Someday in the not too far off future, we plan to build an rv from scratch. For now, we are looking for a 50's or 60's model Canned Ham, or something similar. Many of those without bathrooms had a large closet that can be modified into a toilet/shower combo like in some rv's from the factory. Those increase in value a lot when remodeled. I figure I have to build a 1/2 scale or even 1/4 scale house to travel in our rv's. Something I haven't done yet :)

I built the Glencroft in our first RV and the wood version of the Orchid (the general store) in the one we have now. I wouldn't want to redo an old RV; we did a hou$e once and got that out of our systems!lol But every time we take auto road trips and stay in motels/ hotels I am so thankful we usually go by RV!

Our next trip with the Little House on the Highway will be up to the Wetumpka area of AL to visit Ft Toulouse and Ft Jackson and the Wetumpka Crater.

• Like 2

Being able to watch my all time favorite cartoon from my childhood on You Tube made me smile. What made me smile more was when I sent the link out to my friends, one of them told me she remembered it. Up until now, I thought I was the only one.

For years whenever I talked to people about old shows and/or cartoons no one seemed to recall a mouse known as Cousin Herman. He was featured with a cat named Katnip in a Herman and Katnip series, and it was the typical cat and mouse cartoon. The cat would wreak havoc among the little mice until Cousin Herman would come to save the day.

The last episode was released the year I was born, and while I loved it, it wasn't as popular as Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Tom and Jerry, the Roadrunner, and many of the other legendary cartoons. One of the things that made this show special to me was the theme song, but even when I sung the verse I remembered, it didn't ring a bell among my peers. So, it was sure good to see Herman in action again, and it was even better to have someone validate my memory.

This morning while in the bathroom getting ready for work, I heard my cat pad quietly up behind me. He began to rub my legs and then went and lay down by the door. I looked down and saw that he had dropped his most favorite, ragged little mouse toy beside my feet.....a toy that had been "lost" for months! :D

"oh!" I exclaimed. "You found your mousie!" (except said in "kitty talk") and we proceeded to "play mousie" all morning while I finished my morning routine. :)

• Like 3

I smiled and did a happy dance when I pinhinged my exterior kitchen door, the Dutch door I've been fretting over for the past three days. I also finished tiling the bathroom floor, but still have to submerge it in laquer and probably grout the rascal.

Just home from a jazz concert featuring the Kansas City Metropolitan Jazz Workshop -- high school students who really brought down the house. :note::note1::note: I'm still smiling -- and humming. :D