5/22/08 What Made You Smile Today?

Morgan, the car is probably owned by a very nice woman with a wicked sense of humor. Years ago my mother told me I look like a raccoon when I wake up in the morning because of the dark circles under my eyes. So I told her to call me Rackey. While she still calls me Maureen, it none the less became my unofficial nickname, and when I got a new car, I chose Rackey for my personalized plates.

Originally, I spelled it Racky, but it was denied by the State of New Jersey because - get this - someone already chose that name. So I thought of all the alternative spellings, and "Rackey" with an "e" was accepted. So if you are ever in New Jersey and see "Rackey" on the road, please honk and wave.

• Like 2

Maureen, if I see Rackey in New Jersey I will do more than honk. I'll pull her over and take her to lunch. Hopefully I will be able to do so without being arrested of course :)

I had a great smile this weekend. I sent a male friend (school friends since 6th grade, that's over 40 years, wow) photos of the Buttercup I am working on. He asked if I would make him a 'fantasy doorway' and to name my price. Basically, he wants a vignette of a really great old front door. How cool. I mean, I know he likes fun art, he posts his latest finds on facebook and compliments the artists all the time. Never thought he'd want my work. How fun.

• Like 2

Wow. More smiles. I just talked to my friend. He is thinking EXACTLY what I have been picturing, to begin with. It's like he filled in all of the details to what I sketched out. Unfortunately, he may rue the day he suggested this. My husband even said 'did you warn him what he's getting into?' and he was referring to the addiction. Currently, my friend is off on a new adventure. He is great friends with ebay and has never heard of an ACEO (he loves wall art) or an OOAK. He is searching out what he might like displayed on either side of a door meant to keep evil out and good in. Anyway, thought I would share that because it really made me smile.

• Like 1

Maureen, if I see Rackey in New Jersey I will do more than honk. I'll pull her over and take her to lunch. Hopefully I will be able to do so without being arrested of course :)

I had a great smile this weekend. I sent a male friend (school friends since 6th grade, that's over 40 years, wow) photos of the Buttercup I am working on. He asked if I would make him a 'fantasy doorway' and to name my price. Basically, he wants a vignette of a really great old front door. How cool. I mean, I know he likes fun art, he posts his latest finds on facebook and compliments the artists all the time. Never thought he'd want my work. How fun.

Morgan if you get arrested pulling me over, I will post your bail, provided you would still be willing to spring for lunch. - Now a fantasy doorway is really something to smile about.

• Like 1

I have two things to smile about these past two days. The first was knowing a Final Jeopardy answer that Ken Jennings didn't. Ken Jennings is the guy who made game show history by having the most consecutive game wins on Jeoparday, earning over two million dollars in his regular run.

He was back for another championship game, and the contestants had to name one of two movies that won the Oscar for both Best Actor and Best Actress. They were told that one movie was a drama and the other was a comedy. I thought of the comedy right away, but not the drama. Niether contestant got it right, but I did, and since these moments are extremely rare, there is no living with me when that happens. :D (Skip to the bottom of this post for the Final Jeopardy Answer, if you want to play along.)

The second thing was that I counted all the loose change I had in in containers and placed them in wrappers. I ended up with $188. I am going to take it to the bank tomorrow then go get real flowers for my real life front yard. The rest will go toward minis and the restoration of my second dollhouse. :)

Final Jeopardy Question: What is As Good As It Gets? or What is Silence of the Lambs?

• Like 2

Reading your post made me smile,Rackey! :)

I also smiled today at one of our town's little secondhand stores when I found a teeny tiny ceramic owl for a future Orchid build-$2...also found some tiny pineapple charm earrings and some amber color bead earrings that can be taken apart to use as wall hangings in my beach house Orchid and for bead perfume bottles-$2. At another secondhand store I got a bag of fabric for 50 cents with 2 good size lengths of solid navy blue and solid black,for real life projects. Cheap stuff makes me smile ALOT! :D

The lady that runs the first store asked me about my dollhouse mini projects-we are in that store at least once a month,so she remembered. She mentioned she had seen Antiques Roadshow last night-one of the appraisals was a Kupjack Roombox. We had a fun conversation about minis and dollhouses;she's going to watch out for more tiny stuff that I can use. ^_^

• Like 1

Oh,they are pretty small,Holly. :) The first one is actually an antiques and vintage store,lots of lovely fragile dust catchers and collectibles I can't afford,but we love to go in there. The other one is more like dusty yard sale junk stuff,but has a nice clean selection of secondhand clothing. I'll have to recall the names,but they are both on the South side of Highway 90 headed West.

We usually fly through on I-10 to avoid the clutter of Mobile traffic, but I don't see any reason not to take off onto 90 at eixt 15 to Theodore. Junky, dusty and yard sale quality describes half the thrift stores we go to. It's the old & broken bits & bobs of costume jewelry, the occasional silk garment and sometimes people clearing out their workshops and libraries that make thrift stores attractive to me.

• Like 2

You guys make me smile every day. The bits of laughter you send along are cherished. Like, I can just imagine the scene between friends as Rackey is pulled over (how do you do that as another car and not a cop car any way?), Rackey pays to get her friend out of jail, and the two go jauntily along to get something to eat as though nothing had ever happened! That's just too much.

Something else that makes me smile today is my husband, whose sweet music serenades me from the next room as he plays music about Jesus this fine Sabbath morning. Although he squeaks at times, his playing means the world to me. It's so beautiful. Maybe I should video tape him and put him on YouTube some time. :)

• Like 2

Today I took a trip with a friend to my nearest dollhouse shop. That alone is enough to make me grin from ear to ear for about a week. When one of the owners saw us, one of the first things he said was that they got quite a few new battery-operated lights in stock. I didn't think it was possible, but my smile got even bigger to the point where I was glowing.

But what sent me over the edge and nearly drove me into fits of laughter was a chair. It was a regular wooden chair up against the wall near the cash register, and while I noticed the chair before, today I happened to see the sign above it that said, "Chair for Husband or Boyfriend." Apparently they are used to bored gentleman who accompany overly enthusiastic female miniaturists who keep them in the store for hours.

One such gentleman came in the store today, and don't you know it, he made use out of the chair. He gave his wife a dollhouse seven years ago, and she is just at the point now where she is ready to electrify it. I got the impression that she was going to do the work herself as hubby stayed in the chair while she was having a lengthy conversation with one owner.

• Like 3

What made me smile today was my husband took 6th place (out of 500) in a shooting competition. He did really well. It makes me happy that it makes him happy. He got to get away and have fun with all his shooting friends and I got to play undisturbed in the yard. Wins for everyone!

Morgan, if you come to Michigan, look for my license plate. It's BROOM 1.

• Like 2

An ebay win just arrived. A brass bed with this tag attached to the mattress. Hmm...exactly who does the law think will be sleeping in this bed??? My laugh for the day. Still smiling in fact.

PS- in case you can't see it, the tag says 'do not remove under penalty of law'.

And PSS- I found a Greenleaf Village, complete, at the thrift store today. 4.99. We went to look for one thing and no luck. I headed out and said to my husband 'I'm going to go check that one aisle. Maybe they have a dollhouse kit'. He laughed. I found one there once in ten years. Sure enough, there was a village. Guess I'm smiling about that too :)

post-6430-0-20080700-1401251760_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Yay on your find Morgan!

Lawson is working with me and my husband this summer, we have a big summer project in 24 schools. He is working on a different part of the project than us, so we don't really see him at all during the day. This is his 3rd day (1st job!) and we have received compliments every day on him. It makes me very proud and makes me smile. :)

Tracy,you are such a good mother-I love how obvious your total commitment and love for your children comes through and that always makes me smile! ^_^ I'm often surprised at the people who have children then act like they are nothing but a burden to get raised and outta the house by 18!! Or,at least they sound that way at times...maybe they don't realize it...

My older son is still sort of in neutral gear,trying to decide what he wants to go back to college to study. He has a basic 2 year degree and we've encouraged him to take his time or he might hate what he ends up doing-as many people do,ya know. Meantime he's been working for Coca-Cola since he graduated high school. He emailed me a photo tonight of a certificate of appreciation he received. I thought that was nice of the company and it made me smile for him. But I didn't bother to ask if he gets a raise,too... ;)

• Like 2

Thanks Kat! And yay for your son! And that's great he's taking his time to decide. Anslee keeps changing her mind as well, and dragging out this whole college thing.

Last night was Lawson's last big WAVE performance. This one was a lot of fun, but I always love watching them. They have 4 graduates this year, although one hasn't been active in 3 years. The leader still got pictures with her at graduation and included her. He treats those kids so well. They had a picture slideshow of the grads, it was fun to watch, but I think that was more emotional than the actual graduation. This group has been such a big part of his life for the past 5 years. There were 2 last there last night (one lives in Miami, they have several groups), and they were asked to pick a song to perform. That was the best part! Lawson and the other grad did the main verses, and they had backup on the chorus. There is a foreign exchange student here from Germany, and he was a hoot!!

I'll post a link when we get it up on you tube, so y'all can all smile too! :)

• Like 1

My cat Max always makes me smile. I was on the computer and I heard him pad into the room - then heard that familiar soft "goosh" and I knew that I would find his favorite ball toy dropped beside my chair. :) OK, Mama will play with you! LOL Time to get off the computer!

• Like 3