Forum Suggestion

Maybe someone else has brought this up before so I apologize if Im repeating it but I think this would be really useful if its implemented.

Some people have talked about how sometimes a threads subject can be confusing and when you click on it, it may turn out to be something that your not interested in so you wasted your time clicking. I think that if when you scroll your mouse over the threads, theres a little bubble that pops up next to it letting you read the first few sentences of the thread, can be very helpful. That way you can skip the threads that you dont want to read or reply to without having to click on them first.

Thanks for listening. :p

Funny you mention this Gina. Sparkpeople's forums do that, and at first, when I was getting used to their forums, I would mouse over the post titles here and be confused when no bubble showed up! If it's not too difficult to implement, I would love to see it here!

• 4 weeks later...

A topic preview feature is now available when using the Greenleaf theme. If you pause your mouse over a topic, a preview will pop up in a mini window. This preview is plain text only, so you won't see any formatting or pictures.

If this feature proves to be useful, we'll expand it to the other themes. Please use this topic for feedback on this new feature.

Thanks!

Dean

Thank you to the Greenleaf staff for implementing my suggestion! It was so cool to see it today. I aboslutely love this feature because its so useful.

I think it really helps the people that are on dial up too because they dont have to load an entire page only to see the topic was not what they thought.

I must be doing something wrong?? Doesn't seem to work for me???

It seems to work in the forum lists, not the View New Posts list.

Thank you for this ... with all of the new members and increasing traffic, it was becoming difficult to choose what to read.

I guess I'm just old and in my own little rut but this new feature definitely is NOT my favorite.

Because I'm weirdly methodical in how I view posts, it pops up as an "in the way" item for my tastes.

I'm probably the only one that doesn't care for it so I wouldn't ask you to change it on my account. I'm just replying to the "how do you like it" question.

I can learn to live with just about anything. As long as you keep the purple skin w/o it, I can just log in and use it that way.

Yup, love the feature, but not so fond of the greenleaf theme colours, seem a bit grey and dreary, so it't be great if you could expand it to other skins... or even better if possible make it optional? (don't know if that can be done though).

Thanks!

For me it would be best served to be available in the view new topics mode as well as another skin.

With my time limited and bouncing a baby and a toddler view new topics is THE only way for me to navigate through the forum these days. I am like Muriel and find the greenleaf skin a little dreary after all of the fun seasonal skins but would use it if needed.

Good idea, and glad to see Dean and the team responding to the members suggestions as always :)

The original skin "dreary"? Oh, PLEASE! I like to switch to the other skins for a novel change, but the original is the easiest, IMO, both for my eyes & ease of navigating.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

I only recently discovered the feature mentioned here-see Dean's post on page 1,post #5. I don't always use it,but it can be helpful to see whether you want to look at a particular topic,or maybe come back to it later when you have more time,etc. I thought it might come in handy to newer members and others like me who weren't here when it was first implemented...

Well! This is an interesting thread!

First - I've been on the Greenleaf skin ever since the last upgrade. There are no other choices that I can see except IP.Board and IP.Board Mobile. Haven't seen the Spring or any other skin for ages!

Second - I think that is a great idea, to have small preview of the the topic, but that isn't working for me either. I get a tiny popup that says "View Result" - nothing else.

We used to have these features only in certain browsers - is that what is happening again? I finally quit using Explorer because so many things didn't work in it, and there was a security problem with it awhile back. I switched to Chrome - and really don't want to switch again.

If you hover your mouse to the right of the topic title (when you're looking at the list of posts in View New Content at least), a black circle with an arrow in it will light up. Click on that to have a glimpse into the thread. It will show the first post, the first unread post and the current post. It give you options to Go To This Topic, View Latest Unread, or Mark as Read,

I'm using Chrome, by the way.

And again, it would be helpful if people were more specific in their topic titles instead of things like - jumping for joy or I was thinking.....

It would also be nice if people posted the same things in one thread instead of each person starting one to - let's say - wish everyone merry christmas.

• Like 2