2/5/06 food?

Minis On The Edge

2/5/06 What is your favorite type of food?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. 2/5/06 What is your favorite type of food?

• American
    • Asian
    • European (italian, French)
    • Latin American
    • Middle Eastern
    • Moms Home Cooking
    • Other
    • Mexican

What is your favorite type of food? I Love my mothers Chicken N dumplings and her Lasagna. I also love her Fried Chicken and Collard Greens with sweet potatoes and corn bread.

Next week I am going over and she told me to pick my favorite meal for her to prepare so I started wondering, what is everyone elses favorite food type and tell us your favorite dish :angry:.

well I had to vote other!

lol....I like all kinds of food and Im not sure I have a favorite!

as for moms cooking well my mom is a good cook but I like my own cooking much better. as does my hubby and kids.

not that I cook much anymore. but when I do it ahhh so good!

today I am cooking for the superbowl crowed. we have cornedbeef with cabbage,carrots,onion and potatos.

that will be our main meal. for snacks we have lil smokies, meatballs, and smoked sausage in barbque sauce and my famouse cheese dip.

yes I am famouse with all the friends and family for a few things

cheese dip, Lasagne, pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie oh and peach cobbler.

and I make a mean mouthwatering meatloaf.

when my oldest comes home I have to make tuna casserole.

now arent we all starving?

great topic...FOOD!

nutti :angry:

What a great topic. My favorite is definitely Italian. Since we eat our main meal out every day, my husband and I go to different types of restaurants. We'll have Chinese one day, Greek the next, Italian and so on. I love trying new dishes and find that when someone else makes it, the meal is SOOO much more enjoyable.

Wendy

I voted for European - French/Itallian.. though that's not really accurate.. What I go nuts for is mediteranian food - Greek, Portugese, Sicillian. I know Portugal isn't considered mediteranian (at least I don't think it is) but being an island the food has a lot in comon with the Greek and Sicillian cooking which I love. It's also interresting that Sicillian cooking has been influenced by Egyptian and Mideastern cooking so there's lots of flavors and of course, lots of seafood. yummmm :angry:

-David

I voted for European - French/Itallian.. though that's not really accurate.. What I go nuts for is mediteranian food - Greek, Portugese, Sicillian.  I know Portugal isn't considered mediteranian (at least I don't think it is) but being an island the food has a lot in comon with the Greek and Sicillian cooking which I love.  It's also interresting that Sicillian cooking has been influenced by Egyptian and Mideastern cooking so there's lots of flavors and of course, lots of seafood. yummmm :o

-David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My Dad's lady friend is from Portugal, and hafta agree Bro, the food is pretty amazing. Whenever I get back there we tend to do some cooking together, no one in her family and no one else in mine are interested, so it's kinda fun. Can't reproduce it here though, she grows a lot of the seasonings in the basement. They set up an area with heat and humidity control, and special UV lamps etc. Store bought stuff don't do the same thing. I learned the hard way not to cut those tiny peppers up with bare hands. :angry:

I had to go with 'other'...I love mexican food, we have a favorite mexican resturant Chris and Amanda and I go to, it is a family ritual and treat. We also make tortillas for breakfast, with cheese, meat and eggs, (I found a 20lb bag of Tortilla flour for $5 at walmart, it was great.)

Actually, I love southern food. Daddy was from NC, and mom was from the northern neck of Va. I grew up thinking everything should be fried, :o until I began to experiment with cooking myself. BBQ wouldn't be bbq without a good dose of apple cider vinegar and sauce, peach cobbler, ham biscuits, and hot mashed potato salad on the side, along with a glass of ice tea with lemon. And of course, don't forget the fries with vinegar and ketchup, and some kale too. :) I miss the family reunions I used to attend in NC, my great aunts are fantastic cooks--

another favorite was my aunt jesse's gooney bird pie--it's a concoction of nuts, chocolate pudding and tons of whipped cream! the piecrust has to be made from scratch. ( :angry: don't know why she calls it that--there are no gooney birds in it! :o )

I haven't found a cuisine we don't like (although some aspects of Tibetan cuisine I'd have to get a lot more used to, like salty buttered tea...). Being on a very strict, limited diet for cholesterol & BP control DH & I emphasize the veggies, so Asian & Middle Eastern styles have replaced a lot of the ham & fatback flavoring we both grew up with. I have discovered how to make very lowfat biscuits and turkey sausage so we can have sausage biscuits with our eggwhites for breakfast :angry:

I put "Mom's Home Cooking", but truthfully, I'm the mom that does the cooking, LOL! We're pretty much meat and potatoes people, but I'm not fond of fried foods at all. I even buy baked potato chips ... I like all food, but with all the stuff going on and people getting sick from food poisoning, etc, I prefer to cook.

I am so sorry I forget Mexican food!! I had it on my list but somehow when I cut and pasted the question here, I cut it :angry: . I have added it!!

:o

Linda, Fried foods are so good but like you, this is something we have very little of. When I do get something fried, it is usually Green tomatoes and it is fried in olive oil by my mother (I only eat hers LOL). I have not been out to vist them in a while so I can't wait to go this weekend!

I LOVE to go to Chicago and eat. Actually in Evanston because it is the melting pot of every ethnic group there are so many different resturants to choose from. I eat a lot of Thia food recently (Like the past 3 months). I was in love with this place called The Soup Box in Chicago. It's something like the Soup place in Sinfield. They have lots of different soups there.

Lisa, that pie sounds good (don't know about the name though either) but the name sometimes is what makes some foods so fun. :o

I love Italian and Indian food. As a child I spent most of my holidays with my parents in Italy. So I grew up with Italian food and I still love it. My favorite: calamari fritti! :o

One of my mom's best friends is from India, she has two children at my age and they are like family to us. We even spent Christmas Eve together for years. So I grew up with Indian food too. I especially love Chicken Curry and the typical Indian yogurt drink "Lassi". Yummy!!! :angry:

I guess working in college in grocery stores and prep work, I got very accustomed to pasta linguine, spaghetti, lasagna, etc. and just got sick of it. If you have to prepare about 25 lbs of the stuff at 8 in the morning...the novelty of it kind of wears off..... :lol:

One place Chris took me last year was Fredericksburg, to this little Creole resturant. They had a wonderful appetizer with gator meat on it! :p I am not too much into catfish, or fish per se, but the gator bites were delicious. For some reason the only fish I have ever been able to stand is the way my husband Chris cooks tuna steaks.....but I love seafood, shrimp, scallops, lobster, clams, etc. Weird, isn't it? Always thought fish was too salty some of the ways it was prepared. On the other hand, in Japanese cuisine I like monkfish appetizers, go figure. I think it is all in the way it's prepared. The only thing that puts me off is when people wish to serve up something raw --and call it gourmet cooking. :D :lol: I sometimes call that stuff bait on a cracker! :lol: (just kidding--)

Tracey, the pie has just got a weird name. I said the same thing. :lol: It has about 1 cup of chopped and minced walnuts or pecans in the piecrust, and if you make it like my Aunt Jesse, then use about four tubs of whipped cream. Two of them give the chocolate pudding more bulk, or body. That pie is alot of work, which is why I don't have much time to make it anymore. And it's rich too! Whenever I make it i alter the recipe, especially on the whipped cream.

Does anyone miss their favorite food when traveling? Depends on where you go. When I was a kid, and went to New York with my parents, I was surprised as a kid to learn that New Yorkers didn't drink ice tea in the morning. I guess hot tea, but not iced tea. :lol:

I... My favorite: calamari fritti!  :lol: 

....... So I grew up with Indian food too. I especially love Chicken Curry and the typical Indian yogurt drink "Lassi". Yummy!!!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MMMM Calamari - I love it - I don't care how it's fixed - calamari chowder is wonderful!!! But I also love it for burgers :lol: And you reminded me with your menitoning of the Indian yogurt drink - There is an Afgani soup.. made with yogurt - now let me tell you I am not a "soup" sort of person but this stuff is to die for. It is on my top 3 soups list - I don't even remember what goes in it but the hostess of the evening was a bit annoyed with me - she warned me (thinking I was an average hamburger and frenchfry American like her- no offense meant to hamburger and frenchfry lovers :lol: ) that Afghani food takes some getting used to and I wouldn't like it - well her husband was and Afghan.. and his family was over - they made the Best food I've ever tasted!! That hot yogurt soup was amazing !!! I wish I knew what it was called.

-David