First Date

ChildhoodRevisited

So, tonight I had a first date. I've been divorced for 7 years. It was a guy who just happened to stop into the bar where a bridal shower I was attending happened to be. He is a publicist for a state congressman. We exchanged numbers. (It was 1 1/2 hr north of where I live, he was 2 hours north of where I live. He lives 1/2 hr. south of me.)

I left the shower with my daughters and drove home. After I was home, he called on his way home and asked me to dinner. We met at restaurant just down the street from me. I had a great time. We talked for hours.

He thinks I'm adorable and a hot ticket. I'm just having a hard time accepting the compliments. He wants to see me again and vis versa, I'm just nervous after all these years. I was married 17 yrs before I got divorced. Its a whole new territory for me.

Any suggestions to get over this "what does he see in me?" complex I have?

First of all - congratulations on being brave enough to go on a date.

Are you sure you aren't being too hard on yourself? Sometimes looks really aren't a factor with men. They go for personality. When you are young and firm, this is important, but as you age, people tend to look at other traits. However since he thinks you are a hot ticket, he must be impressed with something. Just smile and say thank you. Do you have a lot in common? Be careful not to rush. If you are wondering what he sees in you, just think about what you see in him that maybe he thinks is odd - that will put it in perspective.

Good luck and be careful. Google him.

Never think "what does he see in me?"...think "Wow, he has good taste in women!!"

LOL, and indeed he has!!!! Just take one step at a time and listen to that inner voice of yours if it feels allright to continue....

HUGS!!!

I also want to congratulate you on taking that major step! (Even though he might not know how long it's been since you've dated, you do - and that courage might be one of the things he sees in you, without knowing that's what it is. And you should see yourself as courageous!)

I feel a bit uncomfortable if someone over-compliments me, but he may have been nervous and wanted to say the right things. When was the last time you (or any of us) have sat down and made a list of things about ourselves that we think are appealing? This guy saw things right away that you probably haven't noticed about yourself in years. How old are your daughters? I'll bet they could tell you some good things about you.

I suggest you go out with him as long as you enjoy his company. And if you stop enjoying it, you don't have to see him again.

Thank you all for the support. You are like family, so if this works out, I will take a picture! I do plan on taking my time as I am enjoying my single life with my minis and daughters. I haven't been looking for another person in my life, but I guess, when you aren't looking, thats when they show up.

I had just separated from husband 1 when I met my (now)husband. Had no intention of ever marrying again. We got married 1 month after my divorce was final (four months after we met). Sometimes you just stumble on a good thing when you aren't looking.

Any suggestions to get over this "what does he see in me?" complex I have?

I am not saying that he will be your perfect match - I don't know either one of you, but if a guy likes you, he's probably not lying about it. Just trust that he's into you and accept that if he weren't he'd probably be doing other things. Take advantage of the situation, there's plenty of women out there who'd love to be in your shoes.