designing doll houses

dragonlady1380

Are you good with construction? Blueprints? If you are designing houses that will have precut, separate pieces, you would design one way, if you want to design for diecut (like greenleaf) you do it different. Pieces would have to fit like a puzzle to keep wood scrap to a minimum. All those intricate details take a lot of forethought and planning. Start with a picture of the finished product and work backward.

i like to design doll houses and just had a thought i know its strange to only have just thought about this but wudnt that be the best job does any one know how to go about getting a job designing them with doll house companies.

I think its probably best to strike out on your own, or you could design some for an existing company and sell them the designs. I am creating one for the people here at the forum right now. I asked Dean if he would like the design, but because of it's size (similar to the Garfield), he said that it would be cost prohibitive. (Lots of investment in dies and such). Larger houses are not the best sellers. However, I am going to complete the layouts and plans completely dimensioned with a set of instructions on the order of assembly. It's pretty complicated in that everything must fit precisely using tabs and slots. I design the whole thing in 3-dimensions using AutoCAD, but I am sure there are other newer and cheaper software that would work.

I have so far the wire-frame rendition of the house. It's a 2 story craftsman styled bungalow with 9 rooms. It's hard to see in this picture, but all the pieces are there (probably a hundred or so, haven't counted). I will be dimensioning them next and then doing the instructions. Stay tuned.

wire2sx9.jpg