I'm gonna do it!

ChildhoodRevisited

Today will be day 2 on Chantix.

I have smoked for 30 years and now am going to quit. My quit date is June 17th.

Last week, my Doctor told me my red blood cell count was up, meaning I am not taking in enough oxygen. I don't want to end up dragging around a tank, so I will quit!

My life is very happy right now, so that should help with the frustrations of quitting. Supposedly the most common side effect from the Chantix is lucid dreams. Some people quite enjoy them. Hopefully, I will too!

I'll just keep my hands busy with my mini's! :p

Rhonda....good luck to you. I quit smoking a year and a half ago after a 35 year habit. I also used chantix and I am not sure I could have quit without it. My only side effect was depression. As soon as I went off the chantix, the depression went away and I only used it for a month. I still miss smoking so please don't think it is an easy cure. I quit under protest (I liked smoking!) but I was diagnosed with diabetes and my Dr. strongly recommended that I quit. So people who say you can only quit when you want to are not accurate. Smoking does horrible things to your body and all we are ever told about is heart disease and lung cancer. Did you know it is also the number one cause of bladder cancer? My sister had to have her bladder removed about 6 months ago because of it and we are still not sure of her prognosis. I stand to lose my very best friend all because of smoking so if you feel like you can't quit for you, then try really hard to quit for your family. I wish you the very best of luck and any other smoker out there who is trying. You can do it!

I quit last year (14 months now). I quit because of health problems. I had smoked 3 pks a day for 40 years. I have been in the hospital 12 times in the last 14 months. You always think it won't happen to you. It will. :p

Way to go Rhonda! :p:):mad:

I just posted about my quit too - My last cigarette was Monday the 2nd. I'm using Chantix too - and I think that the Chantix is what's making all the difference. I smoked for 29 years and no other attempt at quitting was successful for more than a few days. This time I think I'm gonna make it!

The only side effects I've had from the chantix are the vivid dreams - but they aren't bad - just vivid enough that I actually remember them upon waking. Prior to the chantix I hardly ever remembered dreaming - I know I must've dreamt but I never remembered them. Gas is the other side effect. Potentially embarrassing, but not a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned! lol

I've heard from a lot of people that using Chantix made their quit almost a "non-event" and while I would'nt go quite that far in describing mine, I would have to say that it's fairly close. For me, on chantix, the hardest part (so far) of quitting was the actual "quit". I was supposed to quit on a Saturday but talked myself out of it. Talked myself out of it on Sunday too, and all day Monday - scared of what withdrawals would be like I guess. Anyhow, once I put out my last one on Monday night, I told myself that that was it. And it was. Now I've got 8+ days behind me. Sometimes it feels so easy that it almost feels like cheating (like Chantix is doing all the work and I'm getting all the credit!)

Good luck Rhonda - you can do it too!

Good luck on quiting. I quit May 18 1980. I still crave it and dream that I am smoking. It is always the same dream. In my dream I will say,when did I start smoking again? and then say oh well, and start smoking two or three at one time. Or I will dream that I only will smoke one once in a while and thats ok. I always am glad to wake up and find it is a dream. The funny thing is, I am always feeling a little happy because I feel like I actually got to smoke. Boy, I must have had a bad addiction. I smoked three packs a day for 15 years. I would never make it as a smoker now, because I had to have one before I made the bed,or do dishes or get in the car and I could never do my grocery shopping with out one. One thing that helped me quit and maybe it will work for you. After several times trying and no luck, I just said I won't have one today, but I probably will have one tomorrow. Then the next day I would say the same thing. I guess I figured if I knew I could have one the next day it made it easier to get through that day with out one. Well, guess I said enough. I need to get back to work on my Fairfield. I won a cute 1/2 scale modern kitchen set on Ebay yesterday. I really hope to have the house finished by the time it comes so all I have to do is play. I already have the rest of the 1/2 scale furniture I need. Bye for now, Sharon.

Rhonda that's great! DH and I quit almost 8 years ago using Zyban. It sounds similar to Chantix. You can do it, and I'm sure you will be so glad once you do! It sounds weird, but quitting was the start of so many wonderful things in our family, we are always amazed when we look back and realize how much it changed our lives!

(edited to correct years quit - it is almost 8, not 9)

Congrats to you both for giving this a try. You'll be so proud of yourselves for making the effort. I smoked for 23 years before quitting in 1991 and now I can't even imagine that I was once a smoker. I love having the extra money as well.