shipping costs

dragonlady1380

why do companies always scam u on shipping. i filled in an order and put in where it was going to and what i wanted and all the other info and it totaled up giving me the shipping total too. then i received an email asking for an extra $75.89 for shipping before they will send out the goods. they shud have put that in the total with the order when calculating where it was going. it makes me mad coz i dont have the money in the bank for extra this and extra that.

sorry needed to rant

High shipping costs aren't a scam. More than anything else, shipping companies have been impacted by the rising costs of fuel. I agree that they should have been more upfront with you about the shipping to begin with, but the cost is probably accurate. For me to ship a little Primrose to the coast is $45. Even shipping just a kit is around $25. The cost of shipping has more than doubled in the past year. UPS even calculates their driver's routes so they make as few left turns as possible to save on fuel.

Deb

I am with Deb on this one, Shipping has increased! I sent my friend in Scotland 2 Packages of 16 ounce of paperclay and The shipping was $49!! She made me a doll for me to send them and sheesh, it seems criminal But that is the actual cost to send it -_-

If you don't want to pay that shipping (Which should have been disclosed up front) I would cancel my order for sure!! :)

I don't know. I ordered a book on ebay a couple weeks ago and it arrived with the shipping under $4. I then saw a mini I have been looking for. It had to be 1/10th the weight of the book and could have been packed in a box 1/2 the size and the shipping was down as $15 or so. Now I know they have book rates and all, but the difference to me was unbelieable. OK, so it's been a while since I shipped anything and I know the kits are heavy, but still........

Book rates ARE way cheap. Many people use them to ship things that they shouldn't be shipping as book rates...eventually it'll hurt all of use who sell books for a little pocket money (or should I say "mini money"?? -_- )

But I do agree with the folks that said the shipping costs should have been disclosed to you up front...or at least the seller should not have called the sale "complete" until he found out how much the shipping would be to your location and asked if that was acceptable. I'd cancell the order.

I'm expecting everything to be going up in costs, and very soon..since everything, including those troublesome tomatoes!..are shipped somehow, and the cost of fuel is only increasing by the day.

I've found many sellers on Ebay add extra to shipping to increase their profit margins and it drives me nuts.

Shipping varies greatly depending on how it is packaged and the carrier. What I hate is handling charges for international postage - why is it different to packaging something for domestic shipping??

With the bad rain & floods we have been having here in Wisconsin, they say it is a sure thing that beef & gas will go up because the corn is ruined on a lot of farms -_- That means we should by MORE forever stamps at the post office cause I bet they will go up again this year.

we have a retail business and I cannot believe what they are charging you. Are you at a residential location? They will charge more for that. Get a friend that has a biz and ship to that address and it will be cheaper. At least that is how my ups guy explains it. annie

I have found on evilbay that sellers are charging more for postage and selling starting low bids because you dont pay ebay fees on the postage! so thats where they make their money...or so i was told anyways -_-

I bought a couple of CD's off television once and payed around $19 for them. The shipping added an additional $15 or so dollars for two small compact discs. It amazed me that they charged so much. I think they have the accounting worked out so that they can hide some form of the profits or margins into the shipping costs so that the prices don't sound so high for the actual item. An average person would tend to not separate the two costs and think they are still getting a good deal even though the shipping is quite high.

Shipping varies greatly depending on how it is packaged and the carrier. What I hate is handling charges for international postage - why is it different to packaging something for domestic shipping??

Because it's more work as they have to fill out more forms and sometimes we can't use an old box, I was told I have to use and brand new box for out of the country. Also, even if you print a out of the country label online you have to stand in line at the post office so they can verify all info and you have to fill out a form (that is NOT online) for some countries. I think that is why people charge a handling fee for out of the country.

I always say, if you don't want to pay the fees (When the cost are shown upfront) don't buy the product. When people hide those fees from you until after you have paid, I would cancel my order for sure! Fees should be up told up front so people will know what they are getting involved in. :wave:

I was just about the finalize an item from England when the shipping calculated at $45 - more than the item!! I canceled (it was a $30 dh doll, not something huge). And I have noticed ebay items where shipping is for example $20 and the item starts at 99cents. I do think the sellers know the item will go cheap but they can make the money they want on shipping.

I read today in the Wall Street Journal that some offshore manufacturing is coming back to the US because of the huge and increasing cost to container ship from China/Asia and even freight from Mexico....so maybe some new old jobs back for Americans (the wheel goes round and round, doesnt it).

As I am finding out with shipping dh kits everywhere, on some things I can't believe how low it is, and on others how high it is.

For example:

I shipped a Beacon Hill (42 lbs) from Ft. Worth, TX to the Columbia, SC area for ONLY $33.

And then shipping a GL Village (5 lbs) to Massachusetts was $16.

That doesn't make any sense to me, but it's the way it is.

If anyone can explain THAT, let me know.

Terri

ps that rediculous amount extra definitely doesn't sound right or good. I wouldn't pay it either.

I don't know where some of these sellers get their prices from! The last doll I shipped to the US was a 22" primitive and it cost about £4 (that's around $8). I don't charge for handling as I think that should be part of the service if you offer mail order. Now, if I'm buying mail order I add the shipping cost to the product before I decide if I will buy and if a company tries to add extra shipping I cancel, rather than encouraging them in this practice!! (the only time I paid high shipping was to get the sf, but it was worth it!)