Might have to put our cat down tomorrow

Margaret

This is going to be a hard decision for me and my family but we may have to put our cat down tomorrow or in the near future.He was diagnosed with diabetes almost 2 months ago and as of Wednesday is blood sugar was very low.His name is Millennium and we found him on New Years Eve 1999.He is currently almost 9 years old.His birthday is November 16,1999.Please think of my family as we make this decision.

-_- Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry. Is he a Maine coon? What a beautiful baby you have.Please keep us posted. I love cats too, cannot live without mine. Let me know if I can help in any way, Margaret.

Alli

((((((((Margaret and Millennium))))))))

Edited by vertigokitten

My sympathy to you. I have a friend with a diabetic cat, she gives it shots daily. Are you able to do that or is he past that stage?

Sometimes they are stronger than you think. I have one with a heart defect that was not supposed to live past 6 months. She is now 9 and still going strong.

a diabetic cat, she gives it shots daily
The shots are to lower the blood sugar; Margaret's beautiful baby's sugar is already too low. Other than feeding I don't know what else the vet can suggest, but if it has to come about, here are {{{BIG HUGS}}} for you and your precious kittie, Margaret. If he has to cross the rainbow bridge, at least he'll be there in good company, waiting for you like all good pets.

It is never easy to deal with when the fur babies of our lives aren't feeling well, here is a hug to you and your family and hope that the vet can help you out in whatever that needs to be done!

HUGS

I'm sorry to hear that, he's a beautiful cat! My 13+ year old calico was diagnosed with diabetes almost a year ago. I didn't realize there was a version of diabetes that couldn't be helped with the shots. She gets a shot in the morning and one at night and she went from lethargic and underweight back to her normal self... I do know that if they develop kidney failure AND diabetes, the treatments for each damage the other, and it's a losing battle in the end.

I’m really sorry. Did the veterinarian tell you if there are other options? In Argentina, one of my cats was diagnosed with a 100% deadly type of cancer, his veterinarian tried an experimental treatment on him and my cat has become the first one that survive it.

Good luck, I will be thinking in you and your lovely cat.

I've only just read this thread.

I've had 2 diabetic cats: Dudley and Quincy

With daily insulin injections and keeping a daily log of blood sugar levels and food intake, I was able to maintain Quincy from 1987 to 1994. Dudley was diagnosed in 2001 and lived to 2006. Quincy died of cancer, not diabetes. With Dudley, it also wasn't the diabetes that killed him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, and it is a difficult decision. Even though I was able to enjoy many extra years with both Quincy and Dudley, it is a huge commitment to undertake.

Hugs

-Susanne