Teaching a young kid old tricks

heidiiiii

We saw a record player at a thrift store yesterday. It was cheap and the needle was in good condition. Chelsea wanted it but asked if it would play the records she has been buying here and there, and saving for the day she got to play them.

I said yes, it will play 33s, 45s, and 78s. She says how do you know that? I said.. I know...LOL

We get it home and it works great. Then the lesson began. How do you know what songs are on the record? Where do you put the needle? Do you have to manually move the needle after every song? How does it move across the record?

She was making me feel really old...LOL Once you play records..you never forget. I had to tell her how to hold the LP, do not drop the needle on the record to hard, you can scratch the record and then it will skip.

It seems that LPs and record players are coming back into fashion. Chelsea was able to buy a brand new one the other day at the mall. It is cool to be *retro*.

She wants to kill Fred and I for all the records we owned and now we do not. Oh well.

Now that is so neat, isn't it? We still have one of those players, not installed for eveyr day use but easy enough to pull out and plug in when needed for alllllll the vinyl records we still have in crated and plastic sheets....

Hugs and thanks for the smile!

<grinning> I guess it is pretty foreign technology to kids now, but it's still the best way to listen to music. I'd love to have seen her face when you explained how you could stack albums and they'd automatically drop a new one.

I totally understand about it making you feel ancient tho. I had a young man ask me a lot of questions about vinyl albums once. He wanted to know if you really did have to turn them over to play the other side. <sigh> Then he asked me if it was true that Cheech and Chong did an album that included a giant rolling paper. I told him they did and I still had the album. Then the silly child asked if I still had the paper. <cackle> Yeah, right.

She wants to kill Fred and I for all the records we owned and now we do not. Oh well.

I've still got a couple boxes of albums in a closet. I saved them because they were my favorites, but turns out some of them are starting to be worth money. I have Melanie's first album and recently saw it in an auction someplace going for around $200.

Deb

Oh yeah..told her about stacking them on the stylus. Had to show her right away. Wait until she sees that you need one of those yellow thingies to put in a 45 so that it will fit on the player...she will probably wet herself!

All her friends are getting old record players. There is a place downtown that has an entire room filled with records for sale..$2.00 a piece.

I like it though. I am handing down a bit of history. I hope she doesnt ask for an 8-track player. Not going there..LOL

Amy, Some LPs are still in production for professional use. Some Djs still go old skool and have not updated to CD mixers.

I know this because Fred used to have turntables, a mixer, and 4 milk crates full of records. They are all gone now.

Hot Topic (I spend way to much time in that store...LOL) sells them. Chels bought Radiohead`s 2008 album last week there.

So I think I need to find (at a yard sale obviously) a metal record rack. Remember those? I used to have one for my LPs and one for my 45s. It is a shelf unit with slots to put each record in.

Oh..I had to tell her to take the plastic off the cover too. This is too funny.

We kept our record cabinet and have all our McKendree Spring, Randy Newman, Yes, Procul Harem & Ravi Shankar records. We had to hunt like anything when we replaced the worn out old turntable with a new one about ten years ago. BTW, we have never seen any McKendree Sprind on CD, and does anyone know what happened to ol' Fran McKendree? The last of his albums we were able to find was terrible!

She was making me feel really old...LOL Once you play records..you never forget.

No. You're really old if you can recollect how to grease wagon wheel axles with lard!

But thats a great story anyways. I remember record players when I was a kid. We would stick the thing in neutral and try to rotate the record at the right speed to make the songs sound the correct pitch - it is harder than it looks. Either that or spin them backwards to see if we got any satanic messages.

My current family room receiver does not have a phono input not can I connect an external equalizer to tweak the tone to match my room. BLAST you SONY

My older TEAC receiver has both capabilities. I will use that with my computer to burn CDs of my old records....some of which have never been released on CD

Ed

When I was a kid, my mother gave me her old record player from when she was a teenager in the 1940's, along with her records!! The record player was a square suitcase type of thing, in red plaid.

Two of the records I recall were "How Much Is That Doggie In the Window" and "Steam Heat". They played at 78 rpm, and had the small hole in them, a bit bigger than a 45 rpm. Of course it had the little black thingie to play 45's. 

In the early/mid 1960's, my father brought home a light blue suitcase that was a stereo with detachable speakers and you could stack several albums on it! WOW. What technology! My father would buy country albums..we are talking classic country..and he'd sit and listen to them in the evenings. 

When I was a teen, he bought a large radio/stereo console. It was a pretty good sized piece of furniture. You lifted up the lid and had a stereo system AND radio. I recall playing the latest Helen Reddy 45's as I waited for a date to arrive.

I've seen the turntables in Target...I was a bit amazed that they were selling them..I didn't realize records had become big again! I recall buying albums for $1.99 at Woolworths in the late 1960's. Then they went up to $2.99. Sears always had a large assortment of albums and 45's.

Looking back, I can see how music, records, and record players were a large part of my life then.

Yes they have.

Took Natalie to the antique store yesterday and we browsed thru their album section. 90cents a piece. We picked up a few old gems. Queen, Carole King, Kiss, etc. They were playing them when we got home.

We had a wonderful stereo console radis & record player with wonderful bass speakers up until DS#1, against our very specific instructions to wait until we got him his own bass speakers, played his electric bass through it and blew out the bass speakers. Kids!

• 4 weeks later...

Some of my favorite music is just not available on CD....several old Virgil Fox pipe organ albums. I did buy a fantastic last generation Sony turntable on EPAY for not a whole lot of money. I now can buy up all kinds of great albums. I found a preamp to connect my turntable to my current stereo or input it into my computer to burn a good CD of my ancient albums.

Ed

ok maybe im behind the times lol I listen to records all the time! We still have all the records from my step dad and mums collection and they used to buy me and my brother kids records with nursery rhymes and storys and things on when we were little which was the 90's. theres a great antiques shop near us that sometimes has records for sale and my friend got me a record of songs from musicals for my birthday :) now i just have to buy my own record player before i go to uni!

I have a lovely record player and a ton of old records to go with it. My brother in Maine still has his collections of 78's and 45's plus all of my old records too and I wish I had them now. I have only 33 1/3's here. My record player also has a built-in 8-track tape player and an added bonus accessory is the little cassette thingamajig you just stick into the 8-track and it can play all of my cassette tapes as well.

Records were the thing and I wish they could come back. CD's are nice, but there is nothing like those colorful record jackets and the sight and feel of a "real" record.

I don't play mine very often as they are getting older now, but I do love them. I have over 300 records and an equal amount of cassette tapes, but no 78's and no 45's..... I have a very large disco collection in my records, and lots of oriental dance, classical, jazz, and some pop. I have Michael Jackson's Thriller in the long long long version - the whole side is all Thriller continuously. Mamas and Papas, and so many others. I have opera as well, ballet music, exercise records and a really cute exercize record by Miss Piggy! Remember Zazzasize? I have those records too! I guess I'm rally showing my age now!

I have (gasp) Jane Fondle's exercice records!

Gina, I could kick myself for all the records I just gave away (to goodwill).

Every Friday my Dad would empty out his jean pockets and give me all of his loose change. It always equalled to more then $5. We would go grocery shopping and next door was the store Caldor. I would buy 2 new 45s every week.

I had tons of them. I was actually invited to b-day parties for the sole purpose of bringing my 45s to play. They were great for parties because it was one popular song on the A side. I was like a DJ that didnt get paid...but in birthday cake! LOL