class reunion

badlilkit10

:thumb: well my 10 year class reunion is coming up on sat June 21, 2008, and I cant believe its been 10 years already. I have kept intouch with some of my class mates but most of my friends were from the years below me. I kind of nervious bc its been 10 years and im sure everyone still looks the same.

I was wondering if anyone else is going to a reunion any time soon, and if so how long its been??

or If you been to a reunion share your story.

:bookread: thanks

corry

We won't be going soon, but will be attending DH's 50th class reunion (his first) next year. My 50th reunion will be in 2010, but I think I had enough at the 30th, and now they're combining other classes so it isn't just the class of 1960, and while I had friends in the other classes, my classmates were my cohorts, if that means anything. Also the past almost-20 years of reunions I have not attended were "theme" reunions, and I was no big fan of themed anything when our proms were themed...

Nope, never been to any of them, high school or college. I *should* have gone to a high school reunion some years ago -- Hillary Rodham Clinton and I were in high school together; she hosted a renunion at the White House (when she was first lady...maybe in Bill's first term?) Anyway. At the time I didn't have a lot of $$, we would have had to pay transportation to Washington, hotel, fancy clothes....or I was in the middle of buying a car. Car payments won out. I do regret not seeing the White House...I am not likely to have any more opportunities to do that, ever...but I had the car for a lot of years.. longer than they were there! :bookread:

I pretty much hated high school, and the few friends we still have from college live nearby, so reunions seem pretty pointless.. :thumb:

My husband was talking about this last year because he got a notice in the mail but he decided he did not want to go. I have no desire to go to mine either. I haven't seen anyone in years (Maybe about 7 years now). I think it could be kinda fun though. I would LOVE to have a reunion with some of the kids at the school I worked at for 7 years though. It would be fun to see how they have grown and hear what they are doing with there lives now.

:thumb: Let us know how yours turn out :bookread:

My 50th HS reunion is next year. I probably won't go. I'm still in touch with the people who were my best friends, and I don't see how I'll like the others any more than I did 50 years ago, so why bother?

That's exactly how I felt, Kathie! When I went to my 30th reunion my three best friends & I (who have stayed in touch with each other over the years)spent all our free time together, and the folks I've tried to contact afterwards never bothered even to acknowledge hearing from me. DH says we should go, it's the 50th, and I'm fighting it, tooth & nail, if necessary. He may want to see his old classmates, but I could care less at this point.

My 20th is Thanksgiving weekend. The same night as my husband's 25th. I'm not sure which one we will go to. He is on the planning committee, but I wasn't able to go to my 10th so I really want to go. I also have to see how I'm feeling and whether I'm up for all the traveling (I'll be 7 months pregnant by then) of Thanksgiving since the reunion is in the town I grew up in and my parents are in the opposite direction. I don't know why they keep insisting on having them on Thanksgiving weekend. I guess the people planning it don't cook the dinner or travel to see family farther away. To me the weekend should be about family and not traveling.

I am rather surprised on how many don't want to go to their reunions. I found that the 10 year reunion were the same clicks as it was in high school. 20th was a blast and nobody cared what you do or how much $ you make. It was about having a great time. Had my 30th 2 yrs ago, and what a great time. We were all just glad to be there and had a ball. What I really enjoy is talking and getting to know folks that i didn't "hang" with in school. I've made some great "new" old friends, and with e-mail...easy to keep in touch.

That said, everyone in my class turns 50 this year. A couple of classmates decided to throw a huge birthday party for all of us this past weekend. Again it was great to see people and learn about their lives, etc. A handful of us met for breakfast Sun. morning and again it was people I normally am not in contact with. It was so cool to hear about their lives and such. I was amazed at how many folks turned out from out of town, state and even country! As one guy explained he hadn't done particularly much with his life, nothing impressive, but by God he and the rest of us are still breathing!

Anywhoooo, if you have never gone to a reunion, my advise is to try it....you might like it!

I didnt go to my 20th (whole thread about it in here somewhere).

I have much more fun seeing people I went to school with out and about. Please do not think I am petty or catty. But I just have to say this...The girls who thought they were all THAT in high school...Now have Wrinkles. I remember them when and then you see them in between Botox treatments and it makes a girl feel good. My classmates will all be turning 40 next year...i will be turning 29.

For the past several years one of the guys from my graduating class has hosted a very nice barbeque at his home for all of us from the class of 1967. He cooks tri tips for all of us and it's all free. It's just BYOB. My husband and I attended a couple of years ago and we had a great time. It was a Catholic high school and we had great times sharing information about how many of the priests and nuns who had taught us were leading scandalous lives today. My husband who isn't Catholic found it very entertaining. Incidentally, his 50th reunion is coming up this year. There is a barbeque, formal dinner and brunch over three days. Each event runs from 40 to 120 dollars (Even the ones hosted at a private residence!) I am thinking if we attend any, we will be sticking to the scandalous lives of the nuns and priests.

I went to my 30th in 2007 and will be there for the 35th. I am from a small town in VT, we had under 200 in our class and a lot of us still keep in touch. My home town makes a big thing of Alumni weekend. There is a big parade where they shut down Main St. and each 5 year anniversary class has a float that we walk with. (That is the younger classes, the older ones graduate to a flat bed truck with lawn chairs. That will be our class in a few years, LOL) Very few of my classmates live in my home town, but we all come home for Alumni during our special anniversary years.

In fact, I'm going to FL in 2 weeks to visit a friend from high school. What is sad is, we've already lost about 10 of our class mates to death. We just lost another one this past week.

Edited to mention, the town also brings the oldest living graduates out of the nursing homes and puts them in convertables to wave to the parade audience. (no, they do no let them drive, LOL)

Back in 1983 I attended my 25th reunion - I was so dissapointed I never went back for more. Brockton Mass..... I graduated from Brockton High in 1958....... Well all I saw were OLD people! LOL Of course I shall always be young at heart and carefree - but my gosh....alll the guys were bald! And fat! And nasty looking! The ladies all had scads of children - the girl voted the most beautiful married the handsome hunk football hero and she had 9 children! Of course she was no longer the most beautiful girl....... Some of my friends had died in Viet Nam, some were disabled, some had other problems.. All in all a sad and tragic experience. I never wanted to attend another one. I prefer to remember them as they were. I looked through my year book and made notation to those who passed away in Viet Nam and cried.

I have always had a great time at my class reunions. We have a picnic every year and then something special on the 5's. We had our 50th last year with a dinner cruise on Lake Washington and so much fun chatting with everyone. There were no cliques and everyone mingled. Time makes a difference, no doubt. I graduated from Bothell High School outside Seattle. At our 48th picnic there was a tragedy. As one couple was walking up to the picnic area the husband dropped dead from a heart attack.

I was living out of state during my 10 year reunion, so I missed that one. My 20 year was last summer. I decided to not go. School was a very cliquish(spelling?) affair and I figured the reunion would be the same. I don't have anybody I wanted to impress and noone in particular that I wanted to catch up with. Didn't waste my time. :D

I've had the same experience as Annie - reunions get much better as everyone matures and loses the Homecoming Queen attitude, puts on a few extra pounds and encounters Life.

If you expect to have a good time and aren't hung up on what everyone will think of what you're wearing or where you live, you'll have a GREAT time.

We're celebrating our 50 year reunion with 2 June classes this year and next. We have moved our reunion schedule to every year informally, and every 5 years for the more structured reunion, because there are too dang many people leaving us now. It isn't right - just when we've finally got it figured out!!

BTW we now give a fabulous party vs a reunion - no lectern, no old **** with a death grip on the mike, no silly awards for who has the most grandkids - just people circulating and having a good time. That's what everyone wanted, and that's what we're giving them. Time is short - we decided to use it wisely.

I hope you all enjoy your reunions! Put on whatever makes YOU feel like a million dollars, and go out and have a ball! And maybe you'll meet some new people you missed in high school.

Carol

I was "forced" to go to a small (ie expensive)Catholic high school--my grandparents basically paid. Since we didn't live "on the right side of the tracks and my dads an alcoholic, I wasn't in the "in crowd" but had a small group of friends...so I did fine and made friends from other schools. I went back for my 10th reunion--it was all the same... more of what kind of car do you drive, what does your husband do, how big is your wedding ring, etc...I skipped my 20th ...I figured if I hadn't seen or really cared about most of those people in 20 yrs, why did I want to waste the money and time to see them now. I keep in contact with anyone who means anything to me anyhow....I'm pretty sure the homecoming queen is still like a twig and the best looking guys all still look great ( from my class anyhow) I know, kind of bitter...but what can I say,lol