6/21/08 Which are you?

Which are you?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you? An Introvert or extravert?

• Extravert - I talk to People & Things young or old
    • Introvert - you better be gald I voted
    • Somewhere in between - I like to be around people socially but, I like quiet time away from others

I started wondering today about how many people here in our Greenleaf Neighborhood, are introverts (shy, reticent) and how many are extraverts (Outgoing and very expressive). I have been told by people who don't know me, that they think I am shy. I do find it very hard to start conversations and feel self-conscience when I don't know a person well :banana: . But, once I get to know a person, I am very outgoing and expressive (can't shut me up then :huh::doh: ).

• Like 1

Oh my goodness Tracy -- your description of yourself is SO me, it's like you were reading my mind when you wrote it. I detest trying to make conversation with someone I don't know very well. But once you pull me out of my shell, you'll be lucky if you can ever get me to hush up! :banana:

• Like 1

Definitely an introvert. If it had been someone else who started this poll, I might have just checked the introvert box and moved on..but I do know you a little. :banana:

I think there is a difference between "shy", and "introvert"...and you described yourself very well -- shy, but very generous with your talking and smiles when you get to know someone a bit.

Whereas I am solidly an introvert. People can know me "forever" and really not know me, 'cuz I don't talk much, don't share much. I can be in a crowd and be "invisible", as I don't talk to folks around me. Even close friends find it hard to engage me in conversation, a lot of the time.

But I'm happy being like this! :huh:

I'd read once (I think it was Scott Peck) who said that the main difference between an extrovert and an introvert is how they spend their "me" time. While many introverts can be very outgoing and friendly, when it comes to their "me" time, they prefer to be alone or with someone that they feel very close to. An extrovert doesn't particularly like being alone. When they're having their "me" time, they're thinking of who they can call or where they can go where there will be people around.

I'm not particularly shy at all, but I've always needed a lot of time to myself. I inhale books, and don't like noise. I seldom have the tv or radio on. I'm more apt to put on a cd of my favourite music.

-Susanne

• Like 1

:banana: I'm definitely introvert! I much prefer my own space...my son is turning out like me too, quite shy , but once he gets started there's no stopping him, though my daughter is a true extrovert - she hates being on her own, is a singer/dancer/actress and loves being the centre of attention, just like her father!! :huh:

Isn't being an introvert why we're all miniaturists? Tracy & I adopted each other the first time we met online, and you'd never have known when we met it was our first meeting! And I've found the same to be true of Peggi & Traci, when I met them. But I betcha none of us has ever reacted like this to someone we just met. DH & I belonged to our paddling club for a year before we found ourselves having conversations with other members, and then it was nonstop, the whole group. It's that we like our own company when we create, and we're passionate about our hobbies and therefore very open with others who share those hobbies.

I voted in the middle.

I had always heard that extroverted meant that you got energized from spending time with others. And introverts can be just as social, but find it draining, and need down time to reenergize.

I used to be very extroverted, it would take me hours to settle down after being with people, and I thought a quiet house was the saddest, most boring thing ever! Gradually now, I find myself becoming more introverted. I still thoroughly enjoy time with my friends, and I can converse with just about anyone, whether I know them or not, but I hit a limit after a while, and need quiet time to reenergize. This change has coincided with being able to quit work, (which was very fast paced and social) and also with working on miniatures again. I find that time alone peaceful.

And of course, Greenelaf is great because being online is like quiet, alone time, but we are never alone when we are here!

It depends on the circumstances.... I can be an ex and be the life of the party! Depending on who is there. Other times I'm an "innie" who sits in the corner shy as a virgin on her wedding day! Then more normally, I'm some of each. I love to be with people, but I also love my solitude and aloneness where I can get things done.

I used to be the class clown when very young and was very popular. As I went through life, life changed me in many ways - life became more serious as I married and had my children. then divorce was very sobering, and living alone on my own was a hard time for me, but I survived. Married a second time - you know the score - marry in haste repent at leisure, and again was on my own. Had relationships, and really became quite introverted at that point. Now I'm very content and happy with my more quiet country life. We socialize, but we love coming home too.... No more parties for us unless they are small and intimate..... No more putting on the big dinners that absolutely drained me. Now I prefer small intimate groups where a cake and tea and good conversation mean the world to me. Or small dinners with two couples or more of the neighbors.

Does this mean I'm shy and boring? I don't think so! I can still "kick up my heels" when the mood strikes!

I used to be and ex but now Im more in the middle

I used to love people and hearing thier stories and sharing....but after all of my solitude the last few years I find myself leaning more twords being an innie....I just dont care for people like I used to....think My very definate introverted hubby has rubbed off on me!

nutti :D

I put myself in the middle because I do like to be around people that share the same interets but on the other hand, I like my privacy. I like company but I don't like surprise visits, mostly because I hang around the house in the worst clothes I can find when I'm working on my hobbies or doing my housework. My DH hates when I pick him up from work wearing my (rags). Even though I'm in the car and nobody can really see what I'm wearing, I think he's embarrased. :o

I had always heard that extroverted meant that you got energized from spending time with others. And introverts can be just as social, but find it draining, and need down time to reenergize.

Traci, that's exactly what I've always heard too. I once took a personality test in which introvert/extrovert was one of the things they measured. The spectrum looked like a straight line, with I at one end, and E at the other, and most people fall somewhere along the line. I was basically off the "I" end of the chart. Like:

x--------I-------------------------------------------------------------------E

(Me)

:o

And that's exactly how I think of it. I love my friends and family, but I don't have a need to be surrounded by people, and in fact find it exhausting, especially if I don't know everyone very well. :D

I guess I had a different definition of intro and extro.

I used to be so shy a teacher said I would never make it in life. That sure has changed. I will talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime. I talk to people who call the wrong number. People shopping. Strangers working in their yard. I can join in (almost) any conversation. I can do speeches in front of large groups. I love to hear what other people have to say and do. I don't like crowds. However, I stop answering the phone at 7 pm. I just want to be with my family, animals, TV and computer.

One one hand I suppose I am an extrovert person, being a teacher it comes with the job so to speak talking with all sorts of people allllll the time (my MIL mentioned just that when we were out shopping one time and we had to stop and chat a few words here and there on more thant one occasion, it wasn't me who started up the conversations though...), on the other hand off hours I am an introvert person at times, I LOVE being home spending time with hubby and just pottering around here, in the garden or in the craftroom or with whatever that strikes my fancy, sometimes that is spending time with friends and/or family at that is lovley but most of the time I enjoy just being home alone as well. Not easy to decide LOL but for me the main factor is whether it is something I choose myself or if it is something that is put onto my "to-do" list without me knowing about it...

Hugs

I definitely fall in the introvert camp. Not shy in the least but usually just prefer my own company :)

Not that I don't like people, because I do - but after spending 4-10 hour work days being surrounded by people every week, I find that when I'm not at work I just need a significant amount of "me" time.

And introverts can be just as social, but find it draining, and need down time to reenergize.

This describes me perfectly.

• 3 months later...

I guess I would fall in the middle. I like to be around people...but I love my time alone. I probably actually prefer my alone time.

I was pretty quiet as a kid; but as a child, whenever someone talked to me, my mother would always answer the question for me. She was so overprotective it was ridiculous! Then she began telling people that I was shy when I didn't talk; hey, I was waiting for HER to answer the question....that's what she'd always done!! So by the time I started school, I was labeled as a "shy" kid. It was not until I was out of school and on my own that I was able to break out of that pattern. I was with new people...I could be myself!

These days, I enjoy the peace and quiet. And it's probably because I raised 4 boys who had dogs, cats, fish, hamsters, gerbils, mice, turtles, birds, parrots, etc....usually several at once. They are all grown.....on their own!! Peace and quiet!