2/9/06 Favorite Bash

Minis On The Edge

I love kit bashing but I still have a lot to learn about doing it. On the Tiffany I moved the staircase opening to the second floor from the center of the room to the far right (when looking in from the back) and instead of using the stairs I used a pole for Santa's Elves

post-86-1139519041_thumb.jpg

The other bash I'm very fond of is my Lafeyette where I removed the bay window and instead put in a fireplace and built over the original staircase with at stone staircase. .

post-86-1139519067_thumb.jpg

post-86-1139519088_thumb.jpg

It's still under construction So far these are the only two bashes I've tried - yet.

-David

I looooooooove bashing! I think it may be the thing I like best. It's a rush to stretch the creativity and add that personal touch to a house. My first bash was the porch on the haunted house. (simple, but it was a good first bash to get my feet wet) http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...&cmd=si&img=803

I'm bashing the Lily now and having a ball with adding the balcony to it and changing the doors and windows.

But I think the bash I'm going to enjoy the most is the one I've been putting on paper for the past week. I wanna bash a victorian into a japanese house. I've been researching japanese roof lines and figuring out how to add the peaks onto an existing roof line and bashing the interior walls to incorporate rice paper panels instead. I think I've got it figured out and if it works as well in reality as it does on paper, it's going to come out great.

So......... I've got all these piles of designs and doodles around me and then my DM magazine arrived yesterday and I scared the mailman by hollering, "Oriental minis!!!! Wooooooohoooooooo!" So now I'm adjusting the design plans to include the killer garden ideas they had. Talk about serendipity! :lol: I was up till 7 this morning adding in ideas to the existing plans.

Deb

I love kit bashing but I still have a lot to learn about doing it.  On the Tiffany I moved the staircase opening to the second floor from the center of the room to the far right (when looking in from the back) and instead of using the stairs I used a pole for Santa's Elves

[

-David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your jolly little elves are really good sports ... doubling as fireman dashing down the poles!!

Susanne

When my package comes from HBS I want to get started right away on my first reno project...Ray has promised me he'll show me how to do wiring and other stuff. He's trying to put some brakes on my "dreams" for this house when I talk about putting in new windows and such .... we'll see ... compromise compromise compromise. But I can hardly wait to learn the skills so that I don't have to compromise so much. I'd love to bash a kit ... I just hadn't realized that that was the terminology until recently.

Susanne

My favorite bash was a Buttercup I built for a fellow nurse's little girl, I used the bay from a second kit (I was going to bash the rest of that kit with a second Buttercup, but the remains have vanished into the aether) to make a gonzo fireplace. I also made a "tin" roof from corrugated cardboard and aged it, and Tracy used to have a picture of it in one of her Webshots albums...

My first bash was accidental and if I'd known what I was doing I wouldn't have done it that way.

Your jolly little elves are really good sports ... doubling as fireman dashing down the poles!!
Lol Susanne :D I'm so glad that little elf found a place to live! My first idea was to leave the staircase hole in the middle and put a sort of chute or slide that they could send the presents down once they were built and wrapped.. Once I found Santa's Cane which sits by the fireplace the whole plan changed so I filled the staircase hole and cut a new one so the pole wouldn't be blocking Santa's View of the hearth. :lol:

... compromise compromise compromise. But I can hardly wait to learn the skills so that I don't have to compromise so much..

Shalean - it's not that hard to add new doors and windows - really. Most come with a template on the back of their package - just line up the template over the existing door/window, or place you want one, draw around it and then I go to work with my dremel and cutting blade and just zip it out. I did that on the Santa house After I had wall papered! :lol: And it even scorched some of the wallpaper - but the door moulding covered the burn marks and no one can tell my door was a complete after thought.. except that I didn't varnish it .. I probably should have. Now lights <sigh> I'm still having trouble with lights.

Deb - you may just be the most creative person I've ever met - I can't even imagine how to make a japanese house out of a victorian - and I can't wait to see it!! I bet it turns out awesome!

-David

I have been bashing a Primrose into a Honeyduke's candy shop, and now it is simply a few details such as finishing and furnishing.

But my favorite bash is my Olde Shelby cottage. I have received the lights, and am still working on the base, and its design. I bashed the kitchen, the stairs, and the upper staircase with some porch railing because Miss Mabel and her wayward son are in danger of falling down those pokey cottage stairs. also severely bashed the outside of this little house, doing away with the porch and its railings altogether, it will be more of a terrace or 'stoop' when I'm finished with it.

post-83-1139537129_thumb.jpg

post-83-1139537403_thumb.jpg

my only bash was in the Willowcrest.

I moved the bathroom wall out on the kitchen bay and added a nice area for the tub. if I had know what I was doing I would have built a whole addition there.

I am helping my sis in law with her primrose bash similure to Tracy's

but she and I haven had much chance for minis lately.

but I do have plans for a big bash.

cant wait to get the 2 houses which will be one!

nutti :lol:

Wow Lisa, that looks really good :D . As a matter of fact, alot of these I am seeing for the first time... maybe I need to get out of the studio more often :lol: . Such great work from everyone, very inspirational :lol:

My favorite bash is my current one: Primrose

I've done quite a bit since I last posted in the gallery. The staircase is finished except for the pantry beneath the stairs. The siding is almost done too ;)

then I go to work with my dremel and cutting blade and just zip it out.  I did that on the Santa house After I had wall papered! :lol: And it even scorched some of the wallpaper - but the door moulding covered the burn marks and no one can tell my door was a complete after thought

I did that with the kitchen door in the Pierce. It scared me to death to do it, especially when the wallpaper started to scorch, but the moulding covered it and I was happy that I'd done it when I saw the finished results. Of course, the valuable lesson I learned was to try to plan ahead about changing doorways coz it's lots easier to take whack out a doorway before the house is put together. :D

I can't even imagine how to make a japanese house out of a victorian - and I can't wait to see it!! I bet it turns out awesome!

A japanese house was inevitable. My "big house" decor is all oriental, especially the den where all the weapons and armor are located. There's even a human sized suit of samurai armor and half a dozen samurai helmets in there. I lost count of the swords and other sharp, pointy things. Plus, <giggling> there's actually space in the den for a couple of mini houses. :lol: I love all things oriental so I knew it was just a matter of time before I made a japanese house. After bashing the Lily, I think I have enough confidence to do it now.

Deb

I really had fun bashing the Westville, I put a closet in under the stairs, an extra wall for privacy in the bathroom, a range surround in the kitchen & a windowseat in the parlor.

http://greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploa...38278_thumb.jpg

http://greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploa...38841_thumb.jpg

http://greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploa...38841_thumb.jpg

Your den sounds neat Deb! :lol: Have you lived in Japan or do you just collect Oriental items? We have alot of items from China and Japan, Chris' parents traveled alot years ago. The dolls are so beautiful. I am really looking forward to pics of your house.

Cat, I have just recently had time to work on the cottage. I used it as down time to relax from packing, planning the show trip next week, very stressful. I wanted to see what it would look like with the moss at certain places, and it looks nice. I am thinking of making a twisted tree to go up one side of it. The base has really been stumping me, because on the kitchen side I would like a small chicken coop, a kitchen vegetable garden, on the other side a small 'knot' garden with a little bench, and a birdcage with a parrot in it.. I have been really taking my time on the base because the size will be limited, and I am really sketching out how I wish it to look. but this has been a fun bash. I am currently deciding on a certain type of shingles for it that I've seen--they are really incredible.

Tracy, I absolutely adore that little house!! Your talents amaze me every time!! :lol:

Everyone has such awesome ideas! This forum is just oozing with talent!! :lol:

My first bash has been the Buttercup/Canterbury. I just today decided on the color for the shingles, so I'll be working on that in the next couple of days. Have to get those swap items done first!! :D You can view pictures in my Buttercup/Canterbury album at the link below.

Thanks Teresa and I LOVE your bash. The color wash looks WONDERFUL too!! I love how you bashed this kit together!

Holly, I LOVE you Westville bash too. You are so Creative and your ideas amaze me.

Lisa, I already have told you how much I love Shelby's cottage. Are you gonna keep it?

Deb you door is perfect (I love adding new doors and widows) No house is complete till you bash something I always say :lol: .

David that Lafayette is really taking shape and I LOVE what you have done so far!

Ruby, I am gonna send you a primrose to bash into a 1/2" scale house for me!! You are doing AWESOME and you can't tall it was a 1" scale house.

Wendy, I love circular stairs because they really save space and keep realism in the rooms because there is a staircase!

My first bash was accidental and if I'd known what I was doing I wouldn't have done it that way.

Now, that sounds like an interesting story. I'd like to hear about it if you'd like to tell.

Deb

Your den sounds neat Deb! :lol: Have you lived in Japan or do you just collect Oriental items? We have alot of items from China and Japan, Chris' parents traveled alot years ago. The dolls are so beautiful. I am really looking forward to pics of your house.

I've always had a passion for anything oriental, even when I was a kid. It'll be easy to furnish the japanese mini because I already have so many little oriental collectibles to go in it. (and the furniture is simple enough in style that I think I can make it myself) I've never lived in Japan, but Bruce has. He started studying the martial arts when he was 8 and was sent to study with a sensei in Japan for a year. So between us, we're totally enamoured of the orient and it shows. :D Bruce collects items that reflect his bushido training and I collect statuary and artwork. I've never been to Japan, but its my dream to go someday.

Deb