Voluntary Survey: What does everyone do for a living???

Guest Nathaniel

I've had a variety of jobs over the years, waitress, administrative assistant, day care teacher, warehouse work, and retail. I am currently an assistant manager of a shoe store chain, but I'm watching for job openings at the community college for some kind of administrative work.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting to see the different occupations.

I have worked retail, legal secretary for a law firm, data entry, food services, short stint in a factory, movie theater; but at this time I work full time for the State at the Labor Commission and part time for the Post Office doing data entry (somebody has to tell those machines what the envelopes say when they can't read them, lol).

And if I'm lucky, only 17 years until retirement!!! Yip-eee!!!!

I've worked as a bakery clerk, school aide, child care, and factory. Then I went back to school, became a MA and phlebotomist, and was trying to decide on going for my RN, or become a Physican's Assistant like my mentor wanted , or accept an offer to become an instructor at the school I graduated from. As it turned out, I had to forgo all three. I am now disabled by MS, so my job is to spoil my family, pets and friends, and do as much as I can each day no matter how crappy I feel.

I am a Full-time student right now i am working on an associates of arts degree my main diciplines are Psychology, Anthropology and Sociology but am taking specialized courses in those towards health care issues. I should be finished that degree in about 6 months and then i am hoping to use that degree to help me get into nursing. It is quite competitive here to get into any nursing program and since i am older trying to get a degree and did not finish high school i need the associates degree to help me get into the program. My main goal is to work in public health as sort of a Prenatal social worker / Registered lactation consultant. I would essentially be doing home visits a lot offering support to pregnant woman (mostly low income or high risk) and nutritional planning and helping with newborn care as well. I have about 3 years of school left unless i decide to go for a masters degree and then it will be even longer i will have to see how i feel in 3 years.

Aside from that i am a single mom i do have a partner but he is not really involved much with the care of my daughter (she is not his child) so i spend 3 days a week in school and the rest of the time as a part time stay at home mom which is often used to coordinate my daughter's appointments with doctors , therapists, psychologists, taking her to her preschool and playdates. Its pretty busy actually but at least i am never bored especially with my new hobby of Minis :o

Ben, what's a CNC machinist?

I have a checkered past. Art teacher, art supervisor, travel coordinator (ran tours abroad for golfers, got to go with them :o ), export manager for a warehouse distributor, office manager for a high-end insurance/investment group (Pat Boone was a client, among others), owned and operated a stained glass studio (commissions stretched from Detroit to Japan with most in southern California, secretary then art teacher and day-student counselor for a private school, founded a publishing company (Civil War and travel), sold it, and retired.

Of all of the hats I've worn, I like retired best. :D

I'm a bookkeeper for a consulting firm. Before that, I spent a few years on the road doing photography, but got burned out with the constant travel. 

Prior to that, I managed my ex-husband's medical practice and raised 4 sons.

Forgot to add that I also was

a Mother - long ago....let's see, where DID I put the kids? Oh yes, they are all grown up and married with families of their own now.

I was also a waitress for a Lithuanian Club as well as other restaurants

I was also a hostess for a restaurant chain

Worked as a beauty consultant for Mary Kay and for Color Me Beautiful

Was a dog sitter!

And a miniaturist!

Dollmaker!

What else? Oh yes, I can cook with the best of them, but if you can't stand the calories, please don't visit me! I do not cook low fat or healthy to most people's idea of healthy. I use butter not margarine, I use half and half, heavy cream, salt, and all of my cookbooks are from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Because both Doug and I are from the past generation, we were brought up on those things, and to us taste the best - so I continue to cook olde style. My cakes, pies, all desserts are made with the real ingredients of the past. I fry doughnuts in lard the old-fashioned way. My chicken is deep fat fried. My steaks are well-marbled with fat. So you could call me a "gourmet" living on the edge of a sword! LOL

Guest Nathaniel
Forgot to add that I also was

a Mother - long ago....let's see, where DID I put the kids? Oh yes, they are all grown up and married with families of their own now.

I was also a waitress for a Lithuanian Club as well as other restaurants

I was also a hostess for a restaurant chain

Worked as a beauty consultant for Mary Kay and for Color Me Beautiful

Was a dog sitter!

And a miniaturist!

Dollmaker!

What else? Oh yes, I can cook with the best of them, but if you can't stand the calories, please don't visit me! I do not cook low fat or healthy to most people's idea of healthy. I use butter not margarine, I use half and half, heavy cream, salt, and all of my cookbooks are from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Because both Doug and I are from the past generation, we were brought up on those things, and to us taste the best - so I continue to cook olde style. My cakes, pies, all desserts are made with the real ingredients of the past. I fry doughnuts in lard the old-fashioned way. My chicken is deep fat fried. My steaks are well-marbled with fat. So you could call me a "gourmet" living on the edge of a sword! LOL

HEY! Im Lithuanian in origin. And, I LOVE YOUR STYLE of cooking! So, whens dinner!!??? :o

I used to cook more Lithuanian food when I was married to my first husband. He immagrated to the USA in 1947 from Lithuania. His mother taught me her style of cooking, but over the years all of my Lithuanian receipes have disappeared!

Anyway anyone can pick up an old time cookbook in a used book store and find real good food in the pages of same! I used to love the proper Bostonian lady's cooking - she had a TV show for years, she was a fabulous cook! Do you remember her? I won't type her name, I just want to see if anyone remembers her? I have a dearth of cookbooks from Time-Life from way back in the 60's of some of their Ethnic cooking. I was working at Carnation Research Labs back then, and had access to their library and ordering facilities, so I ordered some of those books for me. I wish now I had bought the complete set. Sometimes you can find the old Betty Crocker books from the 50's and 60's at yardsales. What fun to discover them! And remember the ones with the pages all covered in grease must have been someone's favorites....grease marks, food spills.....those receipes are treasures! I also inherited some of my parent's receipes found hidden between pages of some of their favorite cookbooks. What treasures.

Actually low-fat is very high in calories. They have to do something to disguise the low-fat taste. But this is all getting off the topic! Keep on adding your jobs here.......

:o I'm currently working in retail (I really don't like it, never have, but at least it's a job!). In the past I've been a nanny, worked in a knicker factory and a food factory, in a post office, trained as a theatre costume designer, did a year as a seamstress in a designer Wedding Dress shop, waitress and yet more retail. I still do some sewing and design dolls and quilts and the occasional costume (mostly ballroom dresses and theatrical stuff).

There are so many fascinating posts in this thread!

I'm a cost accountant for a very well-known maker of sunglasses and non-prescription reading glasses. I've had other accounting jobs along the way, but before my accounting life I was a student financial aid administrator, and before that I taught private flute lessons. Got my bachelor's degree in music and my master's in accounting. You can see the logical progression from music to financial aid to accounting, right?

Wolfie, sounds like you better set an extra place at the table, for the next twelve years! It's going to take that long for all of us who want to visit you!

To all of you who have the privilege of responding with, "retired," I'm so envious!!! (Although I do like my job.)

Great thread, Nathaniel.

In the past I was a babysitter, draftsman (woman), bank teller, office organizer, paperboy, SAHM, and now my husband and I own a chrome plating shop. I pay the bills and deliver parts, do any construction (just put a couple of new walls up, built the pond in the shop), clean, handle customers, do all the ordering and shopping. I have an office at home also and take care of a lot of animals that people no longer wanted or abused. I do volunteer work.

I am impressed on how many teachers and nurses are here.

I used to love the proper Bostonian lady's cooking - she had a TV show for years, she was a fabulous cook! Do you remember her? I won't type her name, I just want to see if anyone remembers her?

The only one that comes to mind would be Julia Child. And the Boston link is her being on Channel 2? Am I right? Do I win a prize?? LOL

Other than Julia another chef that comes to mind is Madeline Kamman.

I'm a SAHM/Domestic Goddess...just like my avatar says... :eek:

Before that I was a Grants Writer & Special Events manager. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. The original plan before I had our son was for me to go to law school. I scored well on the LSAT, but when we found out he was coming along I changed my mind.

So now....I dunno... :)

Love the thread.....I work as an Office, only women with 18 men, I joke to people that I have 19 husbands, but only one I live with.....I've been there 5 years and love it!

Have helped my husband self build our house (minis are so much easier) worked in offices in different industries for the past 22 years, worked in factories as well, shops, waitressed, was an Avon lady, laid carpet with my Hubby (his job). I'm 40 years old, here in NZ if you want to wait til you get your pension you can retire when you are 65 (25 years away) OMG that long! I'm laughing and hubby just asked what's so funny, I've just told him that I have another 25 years til I can stay at home, he said not likely! My mums 68 and she still works 40+ hours a week, he thinks I should be good for it to! I have news for him and it's all bad.....WANTED CONTRACT KILLER FOR A LITTLE JOB :)

I'm a Land Use Planner for County Government!

As an aside...My 96 year old grandma is Lithuanian. Her parents were the first generation to have children here in America. English was their second language. What stories I've heard throughout my life!

Born and raised in Phila., PA, but have lived in south GA for the last 43 years. Wolfie, I cook like you do. No artificial ingredients, at all, they scare me. [margerine was tested, and not even ants or roaches would eat it, so we don't either]!

Moved here in 1965, married, had 3 children, divorced after 23 years, and have been married to 2nd now for almost 20. [yes, been married all my life]! Now have 4 grandchildren. 4 of my siblings, all my kids, and grandkids and I now live in the same county. Great family get togethers, with lots of food!

Anyway, I worked in an office supply store for 5 years, while doing flying for the ASCS office for several. Then became a computer tech for a privately owned company. Was there for 15 years until bad health, [probably from the chemicals in that company], put me out of commission.

Have been disabled since 2003, but that does not keep me from my minis. I have collected and built my own for about 40 years, and have just the last few years gotten into the houses! My first build was a Pierce, than converted a small house into a Santa's Workshop, and am working on turning a Vermont, Jr. into an 1800's saloon for a gift. DH has a wood shop next to my craft studio, so we work well as a team, on regular and mini sized projects.

DH is an attorney, so when he has to go out of town on cases, I am his riding companion/secretary. We have a good life, and I appreciate every minute of it!

Started out as an admin assistant and now I am a buyer/purchasing agent for one of the hospitals. I have only been doing that about months and I love it. Never a free moment, busy busy busy.